Special Groups

We have sections you must join to use. You can see the full list here. Most you can join with a click. The medical and pastoral groups require approval.
Note, some groups were not accepting new members properly. That is fixed.

Vaginal absorption of hormones via ejaculate - a medical hypothesis

What science can tell us about sex.
Forum rules
Post in this section can be seen by guests and search engines.
JBinthehouse
Double
Double

Re: Vaginal absorption of hormones via ejaculate - a medical hypothesis

Post by JBinthehouse »

This is not really new. There are small group studies dating back (in modern times) to 2006 that were examining the hormones found in seminal fluids and other studies showing how absorptive the vaginal canal is. The difficulty in determining true results is that this requires scientific evidence of improvement in women overall. There is not a good "scientific" way to do this. There are too many alternative factors that make it hard to prove, many of which are currently outside of the current standards of medical practice. While I would like it to be true, there is nothing to hang your hat on as of yet.
MrMarried
King bed
King bed

Post by MrMarried »

Quasi-experimental design could work.  They do that for other things.  If they have a large enough sample size, they could hopefully counteract all those other variables with the number of subjects. I would imagine measures of feeling of well-being are somewhat subjective. 

If those who report low sex frequency are more likely to misreport feelings of well being, for example, that could be a problem.  and the same for those with high frequency.

One way to do this would be to take a very large random sample of people and ask sexual frequency and then track their report of a sense of well-being (or whatever depression-related variables are relevant) over time along with their sexual frequency. If those with low sex frequency tend to have emotional issues, then the experiment may require prescribing a certain frequency of sexual activity could be a way of doing it.  They could have a group with sexless marriages (already, not prescribing it since that is unethical).  Another group they could prescribe a low sexual frequency (along the lines of what they are doing already) an then prescribe another group with a high sexual frequency.  If depressed people overreport sex in a categorical manner or something like that, this could be controlled for by asking the spouse for a report of sexual frequency. I don't know the research or the variables, but I think such a study is very doable. 

PaulB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by PaulB »

Happily married for 36 years and living the good life near two of our grandsons!

Marriage and Sex Educator & Blogger
The Generous HusbandThe XY Code

Return to “The Science of Sex”