Special Groups

We have sections you must join to use. You can see the full list here. Most you can join with a click. The medical and pastoral groups require approval.
Note, some groups were not accepting new members properly. That is fixed.

Prolactin after orgasm in women?

What science can tell us about sex.
Forum rules
Post in this section can be seen by guests and search engines.
SeekingChange

Prolactin after orgasm in women?

Post by SeekingChange »

I saw this comment from @Ron in the answers of this question on the number of orgasms a wife has ...

"That’s interesting about your wife’s refractory time.

Men after orgasm have a high amount of prolactin, that is what prevents or slows down a male’s ability to orgasm again soon after sex. If you do manage to orgasm a second time, a third one is really difficult because the amount of prolactin goes up more.

In most women, they don’t get near as high prolactin after an orgasm and that is why most can have multiples. Not all women are like that though."

This is new to me, and I have never really looked much into this or heard much about it, but it got me thinking......   In my experience, I have shared that I seem to be similar to a man with how my body responds after I orgasm.  Once I orgasm, I am done...not just mentally, but physically.  It's like all pleasurable sensations leave my body.  The same sensations that were pleasurable before, become somewhat neutral (almost numb like) or can even become uncomfortable.  It's like I am on a mountain high, and I immediately plummet to not just the foot of the mountain, but even into a valley....because I am starting further back then I was at before anything started, so I have some "negative" to overcome.    I believe this would be considered a "refractory time"?

I did a very small amount of googling after reading that comment, and it appears that men typically produce more prolactin after an orgasm, especially an orgasm during intercourse vs. masturbation (which is one reason why IC is more satisfying than masturbating), than women do (which is one reason they are more capable of multiples.)  But I am wondering if there are some of us women, who have a similar effect, by producing more prolactin during an orgasm, and if that could be an answer, or at least in part, why my (and others, because I know I am not the only one) who experience what we do post-orgasm?

Anyone know any more about this?  Anyone have more information that my support or refute my thoughts?  Any thoughts in general around this idea/topic?

God can change what people do, behavioral patterns that have been in play for decades. He can change what we do to cope, to find comfort, to survive conflict, to count. Rahab had done a same old thing for years... and then she did something new.
Brynna
Hammock
Hammock

Re: Prolactin after orgasm in women?

Post by Brynna »

I haven't researched this, SC, but I sure would believe you. I wonder if more women have multiple or single O's. It was only a couple years ago that someone informed me that once she got into sex, she could O 8 or 10 or 12 times. I won't say what almost slipped out of my mouth, but that was the first time, in real life, that I had actually heard of it. I was strictly a one and done person and I spent some time wondering how she accomplished it. I don't even want more than one and it makes sense that it has to do with prolactin.
Ron
California King
California King

Post by Ron »

SeekingChange, I am sure there are women that are "one and done", it is just not as common as it is men.  From what I have read, some articles that say only about 15% of women have multiple orgasms, but others say it is more around 50% of women can. There are men that can have multiple orgasms, but it is rare.  I saw a study where they tested prolactin levels in a multi-orgasmic male and after each orgasm, his prolactin stayed about the same.

I haven't read a lot about women and prolactin, but i have read some about men.  Avoiding orgasm in males is the idea behind Tantric sex, semen retention etc.  For males, after they orgasm, they fall of the cliff so to speak and not desire sex for a while.  I think it is the reason men should avoid masturbation as much as possible in their relationship. If they masturbate and orgasm, they will not feel the same about their spouse, pursue her and do things for her as much, their mind will be on doing something else.

LBD
On the floor
On the floor

Post by LBD »

I agree with the masturbation avoidance idea Ron. Certainly as one gets older. I have on occasion attempted pre-coitus MB in effort to fight off marginal PE. The thought being that getting the one sitting on the edge out of the way, the second time around won't be as quick. I have had extremely mixed results with this. After several iterations have come to the conclusion that it is at best a low success rate, not worth what it does cost in overall enjoyment of the act later. At times I have found myself as you describe, just not enthused about pursuit of sex afterward at all, even several hours afterward. It has never really been worth it. Usually it didn't have any positive affect on averting PE anyway. I've used other methods to much more success. We men operate a lot out of fear - fear of PE, fear of no sex, fear of not pleasing the wife, fear of not meeting our own often unreasonable standards. All things that fight against the very thing we seek.
It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance. -Thomas Sowell
::dog
newwifenewlife
Under the stars
Under the stars

Post by newwifenewlife »

“I think it is the reason men should avoid masturbation as much as possible in their relationship. If they masturbate and orgasm, they will not feel the same about their spouse, pursue her and do things for her as much, their mind will be on doing something else.“

YES , that!!!
Link+Zelda

Post by Link+Zelda »

A fourth "yes" to agreeing to that!

-Scott
-Link+Zelda
Ron
California King
California King

Post by Ron »

Wow, thanks for the positive comments!  Most males prior to marriage are masturbating often. After they get married, it is a difficult habit to give up. I think when you are younger, you can get away with it more, but as you get older, the mental and physical "refractory" period gets longer.  It is a challenge for males to give up, but I learned to several years ago.  We more or less developed a couple of "rules" to follow and it has worked well for us.

Masturbation is not something easy for a lot of couples to talk about, especially when you are first married.  I think it is like a lot of other habits, difficult to break the cycle. The way I did it was to tell my wife about the struggle and I wanted to stop and save myself just for her, even if that meant waiting for sex longer than I really wanted. It took some getting used to, but not impossible. I think I changed mentally some and my wife says she likes the change.
LBD
On the floor
On the floor

Post by LBD »

I haven’t done the research on post-orgasmic prolactin, but I’m sure there are hormonal differences in individuals that contribute to this variance. And I’m, sure for women, that changes with menopause, like everything else. My DW has always been a one-and-done’er. There was only one time in memory she got a twofer many, many years ago, pre-nuptial. I tried to chase that unicorn for years.
Now, after she comes first, and has a minute to “come down”, she’ll engage in PIV or whatever, and doesn’t NOT enjoy it, but there’s no going for seconds. She just doesn’t want any more. She normally doesn’t seek the first one. Even in the rare occasion that she is really hot and horny, and orgasms rather quick and easily, one’s all for her. I honestly don’t remember the last time she had back to back days with an orgasm. It could be said her refractory period is days or weeks long. But I don’t believe that is a true physical refractory period. It’s mostly a mental one.

It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance. -Thomas Sowell
::dog
SeekingChange

Post by SeekingChange »

@Ron, "falling off a cliff" describes me. Because I am a woman, and can still "function" sexually after an orgasm, because a hole is a hole. But, with how it is actually sexually unresponsive, I believe, if I was a male, I would be physically unable to sexually function....it is equivalent to losing an erection.

I do think I have a shorter refractory time then many men would, and @LBD's wife, because we can have sex later in the day, or even a few times in one day, and am able to orgasm each time.
God can change what people do, behavioral patterns that have been in play for decades. He can change what we do to cope, to find comfort, to survive conflict, to count. Rahab had done a same old thing for years... and then she did something new.
luvabug99
King bed
King bed

Post by luvabug99 »

@LBD, that sounds like my wife too!

One of the biggest things I’ve done to improve our sex life is to stop chasing the “unicorns,” and enjoy DW as she is. I’m more satisfied, she’s more satisfied, and our relationship and MB are better for it.

Return to “The Science of Sex”