Boundaries - General

Chapter by chapter discussion of the book Boundaries.
Forum rules
To post to this section you must add the necessary user-group. See viewtopic.php?f=34&t=41250 for information.
SLW

Re: Boundaries - General

Postby SLW » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:31 am

Thank you, Leah. Your posts, I see them on many other thread, continue to give me strength. I thank you for that.

MapleSyrup
Hammock
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 19th, 2006

Postby MapleSyrup » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:03 pm

Got my book in today! Looking forward to reflecting with you all here. :)
"Let the wife make her husband glad to come home and let him make her sorry to see him leave."
(Martin Luther)

Drop by my devotional blog sometime!
http://thedailystumbler.blogspot.com
for those whose faith seems to have two left feet

notaugustine
California King
Date of your marriage (past or future): March 3rd, 1998

Postby notaugustine » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:28 am

Leah wrote:
notaugustine wrote: One could easily write a book on boundaries for Atheists or Muslims or Jews, or Hari-Krishnas with the same basic premises that go into the construction of Cloud and Townsend's paradigm without losing the essence of the book.

I don't think that makes C&T a lie necessarily. A Christian will not get by solely by following the principles in Boundaries, for sure, but it was certainly the best starting point for me. So, let me ask you: If this is not a good resource to use, what else do you recommend? There are quite a few Christian colleges and universities in this area with Psychology and Counseling degrees, and I'm not aware of any that use a particularly Christian model for their programs of study.

It doesn't make it a lie, but there are basic reflections on general revelation and then their is the transforming truth of the gospel.
I would recommend an approach that keeps the gospel as central to the counseling process and takes the transforming truths of the cross of Christ and uses them as the central theoretical framework that under girds the rest of the process. That way, you have a counseling methodology that is "according to Christ" rather than "according to the elemental forces of the world, according to human tradition, and not according to Christ..." (see Col 2:8) One book that does this is "How People Change" by Lane and Tripp.

But this thread isn't about them, lamentably. And so I will confine my comments to reflections on "Boundaries".

Seekryt
On the floor
Date of your marriage (past or future): July 4th, 1999

Postby Seekryt » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:25 pm

I actually think that the ability to "translate" Boundaries to be applicable to other religions and cultures and situations speaks to the infallibility of God's way of doing things. God's way is the right way, and it applies to all of us whether we believe it or not. The sun rises and sets on everyone, even if they don't believe God put the sun in the sky.
Always know where your towel is.

Leah
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): November 3rd, 1979

Postby Leah » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:06 pm

notaugustine wrote: One book that does this is "How People Change" by Lane and Tripp.

But this thread isn't about them, lamentably. And so I will confine my comments to reflections on "Boundaries".

I'm open to reading something else and discussing it in a different thread. I might need a reminder, but I'm game. :D
Leah

“I have learned now that while those who speak about one's miseries usually hurt, those who keep silence hurt more.”--C.S. Lewis

TMB Copyright and Fair Use

Ballad
Blanket on a secluded beach!
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 4th, 2000

Postby Ballad » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:25 pm

It was intriguing to see how much there was to debate over the relative Christianness of Boundaries. But when I re-read my own post above (from back in August :shock:), it made so little sense that even I had to pause for a minute to remember what I was getting at:

Ballad wrote:Boundaries for Non-Christians... Pity, as great as that sounds, I don't see how it could work. :(

All I meant was, literally, that Cloud and Townsend would not ever be able to publish such a book à la Boundaries with Kids, Boundaries in Marriage, etc. This would only be because it would invalidate a fundamental conviction they advance, that boundary work is part of a walk with Christ.

I don't question that there are non-Christians who have good boundaries; I have met some and had great respect for them. There are also non-Christians who deeply need boundary work. If I knew of a similar (though secular) method book explicitly based on the work of Bowen or Minuchin, there are people I would recommend it to. (It may exist already; I concede I haven't taken time to research that.)

The Holy Spirit counsels me that many people I know, including some presumed atheists, would not respond well to both-barrels-blazing evangelical Witnessing--that they would surely harden their hearts further. Prayer and living a positive example are certainly two of the best things I can choose to give in such cases. At the same time, if those same people were seriously struggling to regain control over their lives, I would also feel that pointing them to an effective tool for doing so, however secular, would be doing a Christian service for them.
And what is the future, happy one?
'A sea beneath a cloudless sun;
A mighty, glorious, dazzling sea
Stretching into infinity.’

--Emily Brontë

Leah
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): November 3rd, 1979

Postby Leah » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:25 am

Bump to get book study back on track
Leah

“I have learned now that while those who speak about one's miseries usually hurt, those who keep silence hurt more.”--C.S. Lewis

TMB Copyright and Fair Use

Return to “Boundaries - the book”