Any others here?

For women who are or have dealt with breast cancer, mastectomy, and breast reconstruction.
Forum rules
This section is for women who are or have dealt with breast cancer, mastectomy, and breast reconstruction. WOMEN ONLY please. Men may use the Breast cancer (husband’s) forum. To post in this section you will need to subscribe to a group – see viewtopic.php?f=34&t=41250
unchained
Double
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 8th, 1979

Any others here?

Postby unchained » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:39 am

Most of you know of my recent illness. But for those who don't, briefly here's where I am.

Four years ago after a breast biopsy that came back malignate, I choose, after much prayer, to have a double mastectomy done. My mother had breast cancer at 42 years old and died from it a few years later. I also had two aunts die from breast cancer. So this was something that I prepared (as much one can be) to face. I also had reconstructive surgery done. No big deal (or deals I guess you'd call them :lol: ) just enough to look like I always did. No change in size.

This time however, I'm thinking maybe something a little larger.

Has anyone here in their mid-fifties had larger implants done and if so - how did that work out as far as physically being able to handle it? Did it change your attitude in any way? And if you choose not to have implants - are you OK with it? Is bigger better - or would you rather have stayed the same size or even smaller?

Of course, I don't know yet if my doctors will even let me do this. I'm just gathering information.

Leah
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): November 3rd, 1979

Re: Any others here?

Postby Leah » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:58 pm

I had a little scare a couple of years ago. At that time I thought through what I might need to do. I'm ample already, and I would probably not do something larger. What I would probably do is address the sag just a bit.

I think you and your husband should just talk about it and see what you want to do. Maybe you can try on something and see how your clothes fit. Proportionally my size suits me well. You might feel differently.

I'm really glad you feel well enough to think about this. It's very encouraging to me.
Leah

“I have learned now that while those who speak about one's miseries usually hurt, those who keep silence hurt more.”--C.S. Lewis

TMB Copyright and Fair Use

unchained
Double

Postby unchained » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:41 am

Thanks Leah.

But you know De'Elmo. Right now he's saying "whatever you want""it's all about you, babe". And in his defense - he really does mean it. If I were to chose to do nothing - he'd be okay with that.

I guess I'm letting my thoughts get ahead of me. This has been harder that I want to admit.

Leah
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): November 3rd, 1979

Postby Leah » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:30 pm

What kind of surgical deadline are you looking at?
Leah

“I have learned now that while those who speak about one's miseries usually hurt, those who keep silence hurt more.”--C.S. Lewis

TMB Copyright and Fair Use

unchained
Double

Postby unchained » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:04 pm

This would be reconstructive surgery. Our insurance would pay 100% if done within a year. My doctor is saying that I need to wait at least six months from the surgery (which was in Jan) before he can evaluate and give me the go ahead. There may be too much scar tissue. :( .

Perhaps I posted this in the wrong place? I thought there might be a larger response.

Thank you for keeping track. Sometimes it takes a while for me to respond since I'm not on here much. I'll try to get better about that :mrgreen: .

Mico
Double
Date of your marriage (past or future): July 28th, 1981

Postby Mico » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:09 pm

Is this thread about breast cancer? Yes, I had it, 5 years ago now. I had a partial mastectomy, and have not had reconstructive surgery. My DH hates me going in for surgery.
Thanks to the Lord, I feel great these days.

Return to “Breast cancer (women)”