Emotional instability

This section is for women who are or have dealt with reproductive cancer or hysterectomy.
Forum rules
This section is for women who are or have dealt with reproductive cancer or hysterectomy. WOMEN ONLY please. Men may use the Reproductive cancer & Hysterectomy (husbands) forum. To post in this section you will need to subscribe to a group – see viewtopic.php?f=34&t=41250
Dale
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.

Emotional instability

Postby Dale » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:31 pm

Hey everybody,

I'm posting for my DW, MountainGirl. She can't access the boards at her workplace, so she asked me to post for her! :D

Has anyone who has gone through hysterectomy experienced emotional instability, mood swings, etc. several months after the surgery? She had a total hysterectomy (except for one ovary) back in December of 2010, and recently has begun experiencing a lot of agitation and almost panic attack-type of feelings. Granted, there has been a lot of stress in our lives lately, but she is having a much more difficult time coping right now. Little things are setting her off, and it's causing her some distress.

So, any other ladies going through this or have gone through it that can give some encouragement and support?? Thanks!!!! :D :D

Dale

seeking perspective
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): April 27th, 1991
Location: between the Northwoods and the Great Plains and the Great Lakes

Re: Emotional instability

Postby seeking perspective » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:08 pm

I am more a reader than a poster here, but I wanted to respond here since I volunteer with women preparing for or recovering from a hysterectomy. Full recovery from a hysterectomy can take up to a year. Some of what she is experiencing may be a result of all of her physical resources going toward healing, with nothing left to help the mind feel settled.

Has she talked with her doctor about hormones? Although I kept both my ovaries, I began to experience some of the mental symptoms of menopause--including the very things you mention in your post. This might be the case even in a woman who has already experienced menopause, as the ovaries continue to produce low levels of hormones throughout life--unless traumatized by surgery.

Encourage her to talk with her gynecologist or gp. Also, the hystersisters site has several forums related to hormones as well as one related to dealing with the emotional aspects of losing the uterus.

I didn't feel fully recovered from my hysterectomy for eleven months, and it sounds like her experiences are in the normal range. That said, she shouldn't have to suffer while she continues to heal.

I'm sending some gentle hugs to her right now. It is hard when our bodies act in ways we don't recognize and even harder when our minds do.
You turned my wailing into dancing . . .
~Psalm 30:11
The Forgiven Wife
and Sex Chat for Christian Wives

Dale

Re: Emotional instability

Postby Dale » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:20 am

Thanks for the reply! I forwarded it to my DW.

She has evened out again (for now! :wink: ). But the ferocity of the emotional upheaval caught us both off-guard. I will definitely have her talk to her gyn.

Dale

Return to “Reproductive cancer & Hysterectomy (women)”