Recovering from Hysterectomy

This section is for women who are or have dealt with reproductive cancer or hysterectomy.
Forum rules
This section is for women who are or have dealt with reproductive cancer or hysterectomy. WOMEN ONLY please. Men may use the Reproductive cancer & Hysterectomy (husbands) forum. To post in this section you will need to subscribe to a group – see viewtopic.php?f=34&t=41250
Georgia Belle
Twin size
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 8th, 1987

Postby Georgia Belle » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:13 pm

Anyone have any tips or position ideas for a few months post hysterectomy
? And from positive ladies who are post hyst: Could you resume your
Normal positions eventually ? Thx so much for the advice. Empty nesters
Here who were having alot of fun before hyst and now want to return
To having lotsa fun.

seeking perspective
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): April 27th, 1991
Location: between the Northwoods and the Great Plains and the Great Lakes

Re: Position Tips- Post Hysterectomy

Postby seeking perspective » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:39 pm

Welcome to TMB ::hi

I had my hysterectomy 5 1/2 years ago. I can do everything I can do before, only with less pain. :D

For the first few months, we took it pretty slow. Everything feels so swollen internally, and I was scared my internal stitches would rip. We used a lot of lube to help with dryness. (My nurse told me that was normal for most women, whether or not they kept their ovaries.) I just didn't want anything too vigorous. As I got more comfortable with my body and swelling and aching decreased, it was easier to get back up to speed.

The positions that I found most comfortable were ones that minimized the depth of thrusting and that didn't require too much abdominal strength or jiggling on my part. For us, this mostly meant that we stuck to missionary for a while.

If you haven't gone there already, be sure to visit HysterSisters. The forums are similar to TMB and pretty much saved my sanity before my own surgery. There are also a bunch of articles, videos, and other resources to help with preparation and recovery, hormone transitions, emotions, and so on.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the site. I am very familiar with it.
Last edited by seeking perspective on Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You turned my wailing into dancing . . .
~Psalm 30:11
The Forgiven Wife
and Sex Chat for Christian Wives

hisadored
Double
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 10th, 1977

Postby hisadored » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:57 pm

I am 10 years post hysterectomy . . . and loving it! I do remember that my lower abdomen was very tender for several months after the surgery. Take things SLOWLY and use plenty of lube. Because I didn't want pressure on my abdomen, we tried "doggie," spooning, side of the bed sex with him standing on the floor and me at the edge of the bed with my legs on his shoulders, and being in a T position on the bed with me on my back and DH on his side. The downside to the above is that thrusting needs to be done gently! Missionary is good if husband can support a lot of weight on his arms. If your sex drive is different from before surgery, talk to your gynecologist. There may need to be some adjustment in your estrogen and possibly a prescription for low dose testosterone. Be encouraged, though. Things do go back to normal in time . . . in fact, for us, sex is even better!

ledgemoor
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 3rd, 1982

Postby ledgemoor » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:12 pm

DW had uterine cancer which resulted in a hysterectomy, oophorectomy, and a lot of exploring in there looking for more cancer. None, fortunately. Anyway, it was a long recovery, but when we got back in the saddle, there wasn't any problem pain or doing it in any position. The main problems were hormonal -- lack of libido, difficulty Oing, and her vaginal walls deteriorating and giving off a white discharge that we at first thought was a yeast infection.

She went on bioidentical hormone replacement (biestrogen, progesterone, and testosterone), and once things got dialed in, all was good.

BTW, this all happened post-menopausal, so don't believe anyone who says ovaries are inactive in postmenopausal women so you may as well have them removed.
Everything you ever wanted in life is just outside your comfort zone (Jamie Lee Curtis)

Georgia Belle
Twin size

Postby Georgia Belle » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:45 pm

Yeah don't need any hormones. Got estrogen out the wazoo-lol. Kept an ovary, so good there. The over bed position, really bothered me. Im a few months out. Getting back to normal on most other things, but this hurting when he attempts, bothers me a bit. Just was hoping it'd get better with time.

Yes, visited Hysters ;-) Except they get onto you for discussing too much about this. And many of my friends just give up on sex or say it's not important.

Thx for the encouragement. Feeling like it's new all over. having to adjust. But hopefully things will return to normal soon.

Thanks !

Georgia Belle
Twin size

Postby Georgia Belle » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:49 pm

Yeah lower abdomen is still a little sore. The recovery is longer than most expect I think. But it helps being able to return to some normal positions. Ready for things to all feel normal again.

Georgia Belle
Twin size

Postby Georgia Belle » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:33 pm

Just wondering if you had a hysterectomy before it all felt normal again and no achiness after IC ?

Thanks,

Georgia Belle
Twin size

Postby Georgia Belle » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:08 pm

So Im having migraines and they want to put me on imitrex and I have to have a stress test. Im modest and not looking forward to running on a treadmill without a bra. And men around. Any tips or suggestions ? That's just not good ! So dreading, I told Dr i was a few months post hyst and didn't think Id do too good. He schedules it anyway. Ugh..........

seeking perspective
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): April 27th, 1991
Location: between the Northwoods and the Great Plains and the Great Lakes

Re: Post Hyst Stress Test

Postby seeking perspective » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:20 pm

How long will you need to run? I would suggest that you contact the surgeon who did your hysterectomy and ask if the stress test will cause any recovery complications. Also, it is likely to wear you out, so you might want to try to clear your schedule or the rest of the day or the following day. Post-hyst fatigue is rough even without a stress test.
You turned my wailing into dancing . . .
~Psalm 30:11
The Forgiven Wife
and Sex Chat for Christian Wives

OldMarriedLady
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 7th, 1983

Postby OldMarriedLady » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:50 pm

Is there a reason you can't wear a bra? I remember having a stress test done years ago, and don't remember having to go braless for it, but maybe things have changed.
"When you love them, they drive you crazy - because they know they can."
(From the 1987 movie "Moonstruck", written by John Patrick Shanley)

Leah
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): November 3rd, 1979

Postby Leah » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:28 pm

I had a stress test 18 months ago. I wore a sports bra. They had no complaints. My tech was a woman.
Leah

“I have learned now that while those who speak about one's miseries usually hurt, those who keep silence hurt more.”--C.S. Lewis

TMB Copyright and Fair Use

Georgia Belle
Twin size

Postby Georgia Belle » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:54 pm

Thx I called and am going to try to wear a cami bra. I have
Fibrocystic breasts and they get sore running. Dr cleared me to walk.

Leah
Under the stars

Postby Leah » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:51 pm

They might also let you wear some loose sports shorts under your gown. I'm pretty sure I wore workout clothing under mine.
Leah

“I have learned now that while those who speak about one's miseries usually hurt, those who keep silence hurt more.”--C.S. Lewis

mamame
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.

Postby mamame » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:27 pm

If you don't normally run, you probably won't do much running on the treadmill. Your heart rate would get too high too quickly

....posted from phone

Georgia Belle
Twin size

Postby Georgia Belle » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:33 am

Thx everyone will keep y'all posted. Good points ! Dr cleared walking.

Georgia Belle
Twin size

Postby Georgia Belle » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:50 pm

Do they normally make you run? I don't run and haven't resumed my
Walking after surgery. Because I'm Already so tired from a normal days
Work and I have asthma. I wonder how much I'm going to sweat, I have
Errands after it that day, should I cancel them ? What will I feel like ?
She told me I could have oatmeal that morning, but paperwork said nothing.
So a bit confused, will call.

Leah
Under the stars

Postby Leah » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:27 pm

I think it depends on the place. Call and ask. When I had a stress test, they had a changing area with a shower and some amenities. If they don't offer that, take some baby wipes and clean up afterwards.
Leah

Georgia Belle
Twin size

Postby Georgia Belle » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:26 pm

Thx that's a great idea .

Georgia Belle
Twin size

Re: Post Hyst-How long before everything felt normal again ?

Postby Georgia Belle » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:50 am

And how long before it was comfy enough to have sex twice in one day and not hurt after?ike if you have a special anniversary weekend.

ledgemoor
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 3rd, 1982

Re: Recovering from Hysterectomy

Postby ledgemoor » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:39 am

We had to wait 10 weeks after her hysterectomy. By then everything had healed up nicely. (The hysterectomy tore her vagina up worse than having a baby).

The soreness was caused by lack of estrogen. When she started bhrt, she was ok within a couple of weeks.

You could still get your hormones checked. Even if you still had both ovaries, a hysterectomy can still compromise hormone production. Wait a couple months for your body to stabilize.

You might benefit from testosterone as well. Estrogen keeps your vagina moist and elastic, but testosterone is responsible for lubrication during sex. You can use artificial lube of course, but the real is more fun, and testosterone affects so many other things, you didn't want to be lacking.
Last edited by ledgemoor on Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything you ever wanted in life is just outside your comfort zone (Jamie Lee Curtis)

Return to “Reproductive cancer & Hysterectomy (women)”