Hormone issues, bioid hormones, & finding the right doc

This section is for women who are or have dealt with reproductive cancer or hysterectomy.
Forum rules
This section is for women who are or have dealt with reproductive cancer or hysterectomy. WOMEN ONLY please. Men may use the Reproductive cancer & Hysterectomy (husbands) forum. To post in this section you will need to subscribe to a group – see viewtopic.php?f=34&t=41250
Tweed
Double
Date of your marriage (past or future): March 1st, 2002

Hormone issues, bioid hormones, & finding the right doc

Postby Tweed » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:11 pm

It seems all the posts here are hysterectomy related, but maybe someone can help me.

Although I didn't have cancer, I had a bone marrow blood disease that was treated similarly to cancer. When I was 34 I had an unrelated bone marrow transplant, which required a significant amount of chemo and full body radiation to kill my bone marrow. Before this I had pretty regular cycles. I knew the chances were good that treatment would leave me infertile. I prayed during my radiation treatment that God would shield my ovaries. I desperately wanted to be able to have another baby as our only baby had died at the beginning of all this at 7 months gestation for unknown reasons, but likely due to the yet to be diagnosed blood disease I was developing.

Anyway, since transplant I have not really had any normal cycles. It's been 11 years. I've had recovery and other side effects related to treatment to deal with, but I have yet to find anyone who will take my questions about hormones seriously. I know my hormones have been "off" since transplant. How could they not be with all the chemo and full body radiation? I've tried to explain my symptoms...how I haven't felt in my right mind since, all over body acne I never struggled with before, not being able to determine if I'm really having cycles or not, etc. It is so difficult for me to go to an OB/GYN's office with all the pregnant women, but still, I've tried 3 doctors. Each one has resulted in my not going back for various reasons, but the fundamental reason is that they're not listening to me or they just don't get it. It's almost as if they see no great concern that I have hormone issues; it's not a big issue. I'm at my wits' end with dealing with this. It's all I can do to muster up more courage to sit in a waiting room with women possessing my deepest earthly desire all for a chance to try and find a doctor that may or may not be able to help me.

The other thing is that I know I'm "old" now at 45 to be having a baby and any remaining eggs I may have are probably "fried", but even so...I do not want to take anything that would prevent pregnancy. I still hold out hope because of who God is.

* edited to make room for full subject title

Return to “Reproductive cancer & Hysterectomy (women)”