hysterectomy

This section is for husbands of women who are dealing with reproductive cancer or hysterectomy.
Forum rules
This section is for husbands of women who are dealing with reproductive cancer or hysterectomy. Women who have been through these things are encouraged to post answers and suggestions for the men. Women dealing with these issues now should use the Reproductive cancer & Hysterectomy (women) forum. To post in this section you will need to subscribe to a group – see viewtopic.php?f=34&t=41250
Prairie Wolf
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): July 6th, 2003

hysterectomy

Postby Prairie Wolf » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:22 pm

We are looking at doing this. We are done having kids, the doctor recommends it due to prolapse. There will be a surgery done regardless to fix a rectacele (sp?).

I don't think the ovaries need to be removed. So her hormones shouldn't be affected. Anybody had this done?

Just wondering what other side effects there might be.

littledinobug
Blanket on a secluded beach!
Date of your marriage (past or future): November 28th, 2004

Re: hysterectomy

Postby littledinobug » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:36 pm

I had a rectocele repair. I kept my uterus..it's 'a huge episiotomy and everything stuffed into place. Much easier on the recovery t han a hysto.
SAHM to two kids and wife to This guy here

robin
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 31st, 1989

Postby robin » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:10 pm

I had a hysterectomy at 23 and it was the best thing I ever did! I did a bunch of surgeries to try to avoid it, but they weren't successful. We were back in the sack in about 4 weeks and sex was sooooooo much better with no concerns about pregnancy or periods from hell.

Originally I kept my ovaries but 8 months later I was back under the knife to get those removed too. They were covered in cysts and scar tissue. According to the gyn (different one than the one that did my hysterectomy) that kind of thing happens all the time, without regular cycles ovaries atrophy and die within two years and quit providing hormones anyway. I wish I would have known that ahead of time, I would have just had it all done at once. He gave stats of something like 75% of the women who keep their ovaries end up getting them removed within two years. So keep your expectations on the ovaries situation reasonable.
Biting is excellent! It's like kissing only there's a winner! - Idris

QueenLilly
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 18th, 2011

hysterectomy

Postby QueenLilly » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:55 am

I had my uterus removed at a young age like Robin, but it's years later and I still have my ovaries. I was on HBC to control cysts, but I got off shortly after I got married because the stupid stuff killed my libido and took away my orgasms.
Back to uteruses... Mine was removed before I ever had sex, so I don't know about comparing sex with and without it, but I do know that makes our SL a little smoother since we aren't worried about condoms, pills, etc.
Call me Lilly.

littledinobug

Postby littledinobug » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:04 am

There's no real reason to remove the uterus during a recto repair. A CYSTO yes...a recto..no...Just letting you know..that there are other options out there if she doesn't want to have a hysto.

Prairie Wolf
Queen bed

Postby Prairie Wolf » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:12 am

littledinobug wrote:There's no real reason to remove the uterus during a recto repair. A CYSTO yes...a recto..no...Just letting you know..that there are other options out there if she doesn't want to have a hysto.

It isn't due to the recotcele. Her uterus is coming loose, for lack of better terms. Her doctor said it was a good idea if we were done having kids, and we can get both done at the same time.

I'm not so sure I am too wild about the idea now. I don't want her to have to go back and remove the ovaries later.

mamame
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.

Postby mamame » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:37 am

Doesn't the uterus play a part in orgasm?t

Why yes, I do post from my phone. How could you tell?

ledgemoor
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 3rd, 1982

Postby ledgemoor » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:57 pm

I would definitely get a second opinion before getting a hysterectomy. It is serious surgery that doctors (who are typically men) tend to trivialize. It's a big profit center.

DW had uterine cancer, so had to have one. It was done with a Divinci robotic surgery machine by supposedly one of the best surgeons in the state. They assured her that it was no big deal and that she would be up and around in a few days. She was out of commission for a month and still in pain a year later. We asked the doctor why the slow recovery, and he blamed her petiteness. Well, he knew what size she was before he told us how wonderful everything would be. DW said she will die rather than have another surgery.

DW had to have her ovaries removed due to cancer risk. bHRT works wonders, but still is not as good as original equipment. I have a friend who had a hysterectomy 10 years ago but kept her ovries, and so far so good. But there is a risk that I wouldn't take unless there is no other option. Contarary to popular opinion, ovaries continue to produce hormones after menopause. DW was postmenopausal when hers were removed, and the effects were terrible.

Fortunately, DW's hysterectomy has not affected the strength of her orgasms. But I have another friend who says it is no longer the same.

Look, there is nothing wrong with her uterus, right? It is a pelvic floor issue. Go a doctor specializing in pelvic floor issues. Here is a link to the Davinci Surgical site to covers non-surgical as well as surgical options that do not involve a hysterectomy:
http://www.davincisurgery.com/gynecolog ... tml?id=yup

Why not do kegel exercises? Can't hurt.

Finally, hystersisters.com is a good research. Be forewarned that it tends to attract women who have the most problems, but you can get a lot of questions answered there.

Praying.
Everything you ever wanted in life is just outside your comfort zone (Jamie Lee Curtis)

Prairie Wolf
Queen bed

Postby Prairie Wolf » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:10 pm

I don't think it is just a pelvic floor issue. Although I may just be ignorant when it comes to female anatomy.

Her cervix is hanging down low into the vagina. Her doctor is a woman, and she herself doesn't do the surgery so I don't think there is a financial incentive there.

It seems like a good idea. We need to have one of us sterilized, her out of pocket max on the insurance is already reached, and she has to have a surgery anyway (rectocele is not fixed by kegels).

I just don't want to do something that will require another surgery later, or hormone replacement. We have to buy our own health insurance and the premiums are burying us. We will be switching to a high deductible plan probably with little to no prescription coverage, so I don't want to buy HRT drugs if they are expensive. I guess I was seeing us as financially in a better place barring an accident or something because we would not need maternity coverage anymore.

I guess we will have to discuss it with the doctor. I thought that no more periods would be a good thing. I was just wondering about the negatives.

Sexual-wife
Double
Date of your marriage (past or future): September 25th, 1992

hysterectomy

Postby Sexual-wife » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:59 pm

I was 33 (12 yrs ago) when I had my hysterectomy and am so happy I made the choice. I had a prolapsed uterus. I still have my ovaries. I also had a herniagraphy (large bikini
cut) as well as a bladder sling done at the same time, so the recovery took longer than what it usually takes. The hystersister site is wonderful!

I do a happy dance anytime I get asked for a tampon! ;-)

robin
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 31st, 1989

Postby robin » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:51 am

Prairie Wolf wrote:I don't think it is just a pelvic floor issue. Although I may just be ignorant when it comes to female anatomy.

Her cervix is hanging down low into the vagina. Her doctor is a woman, and she herself doesn't do the surgery so I don't think there is a financial incentive there.

It seems like a good idea. We need to have one of us sterilized, her out of pocket max on the insurance is already reached, and she has to have a surgery anyway (rectocele is not fixed by kegels).

I just don't want to do something that will require another surgery later, or hormone replacement. We have to buy our own health insurance and the premiums are burying us. We will be switching to a high deductible plan probably with little to no prescription coverage, so I don't want to buy HRT drugs if they are expensive. I guess I was seeing us as financially in a better place barring an accident or something because we would not need maternity coverage anymore.

I guess we will have to discuss it with the doctor. I thought that no more periods would be a good thing. I was just wondering about the negatives.

If it helps, I use the compounded hormones in cream form. I pay about $30 for a supply that lasts between 4-6 months.

It sounds like she really needs this done.
Biting is excellent! It's like kissing only there's a winner! - Idris

Aura
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 19th, 2005

Postby Aura » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:38 am

It's possible that the hysterectomy will cause more problems that it will solve. Other parts beside the uterus can be prolapsed, and she just might be trading one form of prolapse for another and then adding in all the other side effects of a hysterectomy on top of it.

My SIL had a hysterectomy for endometriosis. It was the best thing for her. Hysterectomies can definitely be needed, but I just caution you to really research their effectiveness for treating prolapse.
And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not. ~Galatians 6:9

ledgemoor
Under the stars

Postby ledgemoor » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:36 pm

(rectocele is not fixed by kegels).

No, but a hysterectomy won't fix it either. This requires a different surgery. (Actually, according to the Mayo link, Kegels vsn fix mild cases. Agreed, probably not in your wife's case, but it wouldn't hurt to try).

It seems like a good idea. We need to have one of us sterilized, her out of pocket max on the insurance is already reached, and she has to have a surgery anyway

DW pays $60/mo (100% self-pay) for her compounded cream. ( will be PMing my new best friend Robin to find out where she gets hers :) ) As prescriptions go, it is reasonable.

But look, I know it sounds attractive. You are envisioning a night in the hospital, a few days recovery, problem fixed, and o more periods or babies. But dude, a hysterectomy is MAJOR surgery, and there are way less drastic ways to get sterilized. It will probably go well for her, and she will probably be happy with the results. In all likelihood her experience with it won't be as bad as my wife's.

But there ARE risks. As I said, you are wise to question this. But don't stop here. We're just a bunch of crazy internet people. I think (like everything else) the issue is more complicated than you first realized. Go to the library and get some books. Go hystersisters.com. More internet crazies, but they know more about hysterectomies. AND GET A SECOND OPINION. Insurance is generally more than happy to pay, which should tell you something.

Find out what the real risk to her ovaries is. bHRT works, but you don't want to go that route if you can avoid it. Getting the dose right is a real nightmare.

And what raises a red flag to me is this: Her muscles are stretched and weak, so uterus & cervix is hanging way down in her vagina. So they want to remove them. Seems to me they would want t fix the muscles.

All the best!
Everything you ever wanted in life is just outside your comfort zone (Jamie Lee Curtis)

littledinobug

Postby littledinobug » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:41 am

I had a rectocele surgery last year. It's a huge episiotomy, they stuff the bits back where they're supposed to go, then sew you back up again. I was on heavy pain meds for the first 3 days after surgery then on to regular advil after. 6 weeks light duties. No sex for 6 weeks. (didn't really matter for that because Moe had to go to Libya the Sunday after my surgery...my MIL helped alot )

Prairie Wolf
Queen bed

Postby Prairie Wolf » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:39 pm

She talked to the doctor about it.

Sounds like something is necessary. We either have her uterus fixed up, because if she got pregnant now it would be a problem. Or we have it removed. Why repair it if we aren't going to have more kids? So two surgery's are necessary.

We will talk to another doctor about it before we do anything.

Prairie Wolf
Queen bed

Postby Prairie Wolf » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:42 pm

littledinobug wrote:I had a rectocele surgery last year. It's a huge episiotomy, they stuff the bits back where they're supposed to go, then sew you back up again. I was on heavy pain meds for the first 3 days after surgery then on to regular advil after. 6 weeks light duties. No sex for 6 weeks. (didn't really matter for that because Moe had to go to Libya the Sunday after my surgery...my MIL helped alot )

I'm a little worried about that. We have three kids and she watches another one four days a week. We haven't got the ability to go on light duty for 6 weeks.

littledinobug

Postby littledinobug » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:31 pm

Prairie Wolf wrote:
littledinobug wrote:I had a rectocele surgery last year. It's a huge episiotomy, they stuff the bits back where they're supposed to go, then sew you back up again. I was on heavy pain meds for the first 3 days after surgery then on to regular advil after. 6 weeks light duties. No sex for 6 weeks. (didn't really matter for that because Moe had to go to Libya the Sunday after my surgery...my MIL helped alot )

I'm a little worried about that. We have three kids and she watches another one four days a week. We haven't got the ability to go on light duty for 6 weeks.

She'll need that after she has her hysterectomy too. It's not an easy surgery.

ledgemoor
Under the stars

Postby ledgemoor » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:13 pm

With DW's hysterectomy it was 10 weeks no sex, and even then it was nothing to write home about. It is serious surgery.

littledinobug

Postby littledinobug » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:57 am

ledgemoor wrote:With DW's hysterectomy it was 10 weeks no sex, and even then it was nothing to write home about. It is serious surgery.

Not talking about sex dear. I'm talking about NO

LIFTING
JOGGING
RUNNING
HOUSE WORK (of any type not even vaccuum)
Having little ones jump on you
etc
etc

After a Hysterectomy or any major pelvic/abdominal surgery you have to be completely "useless" for 6 weeks. Thems the rules.

Return to “Reproductive cancer & Hysterectomy (husbands)”