Houston we have a problem

Low testosterone issues, impacts on health & marriage, treatments, etc.
Hoosier52
King bed

Re: Houston we have a problem

Postby Hoosier52 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:40 pm

Check out ExcelMale website. Post this info there. Most of the guys there know more about TRT than most doctors know. Many of them also use Defy.

softwareguy
Twin size
Date of your marriage (past or future): October 1st, 1979

Postby softwareguy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:51 pm

I was just denied coverage for TRT by our prescription provider because I had a tested level over 280 at the start of treatment over 2 years ago. (345 - 57 years old). My only option with them would be to have my levels tested again in the future and have them be less than 280 for 2 consecutive months. THEN they would approve treatment.

Needless to say, I don't think I'd like to go back to feeling lethargic and having brain fog for 3-4 months so I looked at other options. My Pharmacy, (the company with the red logo that starts with W), offered me a Prescription Savings Club Card for $20 that reduces the list price f my testosterone cypionate from $54 down to a little less than $21. That's for a month supply. The 10ml bottle of test would be $83. Good for 5 months. That would be less than my copay with my prescription provider.

There are definitely options that can and should be explored.

Hoosier52
King bed

Postby Hoosier52 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:08 pm

Cost IS a factor. Our insurance pays for nothing. But my wife and I decided that good health was something we were willing to invest in. We don't smoke, drink, go to the movies, spend lots of money on clothes, etc., so we feel like we're still ahead money wise.

Anything that benefits you and provides you with dividends is not an expense, it's an investment IMO.

HappyWifey
Twin size
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 15th, 2013

Postby HappyWifey » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:31 pm

Hoosier52 wrote:Check out ExcelMale website. Post this info there. Most of the guys there know more about TRT than most doctors know. Many of them also use Defy.

Thank you much, I'll start there. That seems like a much better option than seeing multiple local doctors that would be hit or miss. Good news is it looks like our healthcare will actually cover the initial treatment and tests, (after $500 deductible) until it's considered routine maintenance, then prescriptions will be out of pocket. Are injections the preferred treatment method among you guys? Is that usually self administered? (We live over an hour away from the nearest city, seeing a doctor weekly or biweekly is just not practical at all.)

TRT seems to be really effective as male birth control. Since we want to conceive (in a couple months at the earliest) are we better off just not starting treatment until I get pregnant? Then again, abstinence is also 100% effective birth control, so until he gets a boost pregnancy's not very likely to happen. On the other hand, low testosterone already lowers sperm count, what are our odds of even conceiving now before treatment?

Hoosier52
King bed

Postby Hoosier52 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:07 am

Self-injection is the least expensive and easiest way for TRT. I do sub-cutaneous injections twice a week. I use 30 ga. - 5/16 needles. You barely feel it.

TRT WILL shut down testicles by itself. But, you can use HCG injections to keep them full-sized and producing sperm. I also use HCG and inject 2-3 times a week. My total T last check was 1100 and I am 65.

I searched for a TRT doctor for over a year. Even considered pellets (Don't!) and tried one doc who let me self-inject but he was awful on doing blood work and getting me zeroed in. I left him and went to Defy Medical and haven't looked back. If you can find a local doctor who knows what he's doing great. But you should know that they are as rare as hen's teeth. Defy is the best and won't cost you any more and maybe even less.

If you are determined to find a local doc, do your homework. The doc I started with and left didn't even know that there is a sensitive estradiol test for me. He said he'd never heard of it and it was on Quest's lab form! Men don't do the same test s women and that's what he was doing for me. He never checked my prostate or PSA - this is critical if a man has PC. I knew more about proper TRT than he did. This is true of most docs. That's why you should just use Defy. No monkey business...the best docs in the country and great service. BTW - I don't work for them. I just trust them and hate to see other men go through the typical circus than uninformed doctors put them through. Good luck!

PS - My wife also uses Defy. She was doing HRT for years with the same doc I started with and left. He had NEVER tested her blood levels! Defy check hers every 6 months. More if needed.

Return to “Male Testosterone Issues”