My T results

Low testosterone issues, impacts on health & marriage, treatments, etc.
Unfulfilled
Hammock
Date of your marriage (past or future): September 5th, 1989

Re: My T results

Postby Unfulfilled » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:39 pm

I think I have decided not to do anything about my T levels.

I don't see much point. My drive is already too high for my wife and having a higher drive in the past only made for arguments and tension and conflict.

Having lower drive it is soooo much easier to just forget about sex. Being alone in the workshop seems to be more rewarding now anyhow.

Maybe next year I will get my levels tested again.m and if the fall out of range so that my insurance will cover the replacement hormones I will give it a try. Until then I think all getting more T will do is cause me strife. I've had 27 years of sexual strife, and I'm just sick and tired of it.

If I have other significant side effects for my health due to the low T them maybe I will do something. But until the , I just don't see any benefit and to spend out of pocket cash only adds insult to injury.

be64
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): March 25th, 1988

Postby be64 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:52 pm

Here are a couple of sites to look at for natural hormone optimization.

https://www.anabolicmen.com/masculine-o ... n-pyramid/

http://www.testshock.com/
The secret to having everything is believing you already do!

SquarePants
California King
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 10th, 2005

Postby SquarePants » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:30 pm

Unfulfilled wrote:... My drive is already too high ...

My drive was still quite high when my levels were much lower than yours. Raising my testosterone didn't raise my libido at all. However, getting my levels normalized made it much easier to cope when my wife's libido was non-existent while she was pregnant and during her postpartum depression. Healthy testosterone levels were a great mood lifter for me, and helped me to regain my emotional fortitude and decisiveness (when needed). I felt stronger both physically and mentally, and it has helped other health parameters.

Nvr2Late
Fell out of ...
Date of your marriage (past or future): February 9th, 2013

Postby Nvr2Late » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:37 am

You may already have discovered this site, but it's new to us and I think I got the link from someone here on TMB. Nelson Vergel's forum?

He has a lot to say about estradiol levels in men and how they may not be as scary as we have been led to believe. He's got the research and links, if you want to take a look: http://www.excelmale.com/showthread.php?2309-Role-of-Estradiol-in-Men-and-Its-Management

Hoosier52
King bed

Postby Hoosier52 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:43 pm

Excelmale is excellent. Lots of great info on cutting edge TRT. Peak Testosterone is a close 2nd. I check both out multiple times everyday. There is nothing about TRT that is not a topic on these sites.

Unfulfilled
Hammock

Postby Unfulfilled » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:19 pm

I just got word back that i got approved for Testosterone testing again. This time inaddition to total, free SBHG and bioavailable , I also will be tested for DHEA and Estriadol

Last test was back in May.

We will see. I would not doubt a small increase could happen as I recently started a new exercise class twice a week that is more weight bearing and possibly that could cause a slight rise in T. It we will let the blood tests reveal what they reveal.

Unfulfilled
Hammock

Postby Unfulfilled » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:49 pm

Well got my latest results except DHEA

50 year old man.

Pretty much unchanged from last test in May

Total T May 2016 404. December 16 was 398 range (220-813) latest 48.5% of range
Free T May 16 = 8.01 Dec 16 = 8.58 range (5.60-21.0) = 19.4% of range
Bio avail May 16 = 188 Dec 17= 201 range (131-682) = 12.7% of range
SHBG May 16=33.7 Dec 16= 30.0 range (10.0-57.0) = 42.6% of range

Estradiol December 16 = 29 range (0-56) I'm about 52% of the range.

I am having DHEA tested but the lab had to send that out so I won't get that result probably until next week.

DHEA 215 range (106-455). Which is only 31.3% of the range.

So what do you all think??
Last edited by Unfulfilled on Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

be64
King bed

Postby be64 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:53 pm

What are the lab ranges?

Estradiol is not bad. A little lower may be better but that is something you might be able to lower naturally with the right food and supplements.

Your slightly higher free and bioavailable T is likely due to your slightly lower SHGB.

Essentially there is no change. There is likely that much difference in levels day to day or week to week.

If your doctor is unwilling to prescribe anything then you should look into supplements and lifestyle changes that may increase your testosterone.

Unfulfilled
Hammock

Postby Unfulfilled » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:18 pm

I inserted the range and the percent of range for each value of the latest results. In the post above.

Since my Dr didn't want to do anything last time, and these results are basically identical to last time, I suspect the Dr won't recommend doing anything this time either.

What lifestyle things can a person do to raise testosterone?

The 10 item list my Dr gave to me I'm doing 9 of the ten. (I don't weight lift) but recently started Tad Keon do which is a physical weight bearing work out.

I suppose I could switch to organic, but I actually eat pretty well. It perfect but not bad either . I may. E about 10 lbs over my ideal weight. But that is part of the problem. I think the lower T is. It allowing me to lose weight and build muscle. So losing weight is a catch 22.

I also swim a mile three times a week and have done this for several years. This year I will exceed my personal best for most miles swam in a year!

Other things I read I'm doing most of those. I have not looked into DIM or other supplements.

So what other things do you suggest lifestyle wise I can do?

be64
King bed

Postby be64 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:55 pm

It sounds like you are doing the right things.

If you want to lose weight then I'd suggest just eating less. I wouldn't count on higher T levels making losing weight or gaining muscle easier. I've been lifting weights all my adult life and I've never really gained a significant amount of muscle. I've always been quite lean, probably less than 10% body fat but I have not found maintaining low body fat any easier with high testosterone levels. I also have not been able to build muscle any easier with higher testosterone. I guess I'm sort of ectomorphic being 6'3" and between 163-173lbs

I've been plagued with anxiety issues and I was hoping higher testosterone would improve that but it hasn't helped as much as I hoped it would.

I think the most dramatic effect testosterone replacement has had on me is improved sex. Where before I had a hard time getting and maintaining an erection even with ED drugs, now that is not a problem. Although my sex drive has always been high it had gotten to where I sometimes had a take it or leave it attitude toward sex and often it wasn't that pleasurable anyway. Well now my sex drive is through the roof. I always want it. My desire for sex is insatiable. Like I said in another thread, my wife and I have sex at least every other day yet as soon as we're finished I'm thinking about how I'm going to have to wait for two days before I can have it again. Also due to practice and proper hormone balance sex feels way way better than it used to. We had sex last night but all day my genitals have felt half aroused and almost tingly. I told my wife this afternoon that I have a burning desire for sex. I think she's going to let me have it again tonight.

While I've read a lot of reports from guys saying that testosterone replacement did nothing for their libido, that has not been the case for me so if you don't want a higher libido then maybe TRT isn't for you. However if you feel crummy all the time, lack energy, etc. then maybe you should persue it.

Unfulfilled
Hammock

Postby Unfulfilled » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:32 am

Well I uzed (past tense) to be a LOT like you with high drive. I'm not like that anymore. And frankly the big drive was a curse with a super low drive wife.

It is the lack of stamina and fatigue that most bothers me. The quality of the erection and how long it takes for me to get hard bothers me a little but frankly here are no failure to perform so I guess it is no big deal at least at this point. The O certainly is less intense and not as pleasurable but as you say with lower drive and interest in sex compared to younger days I am getting to the point nearly of a take it or leave it attitude.

Knowing I'm starting to have that attitude is bothersome in the fact that it is "just not me". But I think my wife prefers the new less drive me. In FACT I bet she would say I still have too much drive and she would prefer my drive completely goes to zero.

Unfulfilled
Hammock

Postby Unfulfilled » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:32 am

My DHEA result came in. This is the first time I have ever been tested for this so I'm not sure what to make of it.

DHEA 215 range (106-455). Which is only 31.3% of the range.

Lowest 1/3 of the male range seems low to me!

be64
King bed

Postby be64 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:34 pm

I have never had my DHEA tested so I have no comment on your result.

I think that my energy level has increased since being on TRT. I don't have the ambition I had thirty years ago but I basically don't feel any different than I felt thirty years ago. When I lift weights I go lighter to avoid injury but I keep up with the teenagers and young adults in my Taekwondo class. Pictures aren't permitted here but to describe myself I'll say that I'm tall, lean and am in the same weight range I've always been. I'm a bit leaner and a bit more muscular than I was thirty years ago, but it's only my somewhat wrinkled and sagging skin and my greying receding hair that makes me look any different than thirty years ago. With high testosterone and physical activity I intend to continue to be young and energetic.

I think there are benefits to testosterone beyond sex.

You say orgasms aren't as intense as in the past. Are orgasms harder to reach? If you don't get as much sex as you want then my recommendation would be to get the best sex you can get when you get it. Work toward high intensity intercourse and orgasms.

Unfulfilled
Hammock

Postby Unfulfilled » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:37 am

Just got back my latest T levels.

First my last previous test results:

Blood test date: 12/16/16

Total = 398 (220-813) 48.5%
Free T= 8.58 (5.6-21) 19.4%

SHBG= 30 (10-57) 42.6%

Bio-avail= 201 (131-682) 12.7%

DHEA = 215 (106-454) 31.3%

Estradiol = 29 (0-56) 51.8%

--------------------------------

Latest test results:

Blood test date: 10/3/17

Total = 461 (220-813) 59.9%
Free T= 9.33 (5.6-21) 24.2%

SHBG= 34.6 (10-57) 52.3%

Bio-avail= 219 (131-682) 16.0%

DHEA = 256t (61-1,636) 6.9%

Estradiol = 37 (0-56) 66.1%

------------------------------

I am 51 and exercise regularly. As in swim 3 times a week and for last several months in marrial arts twice a week. For anout 5 workouts per week. I could admittedly still lose about 10 to maybe 15 lbs. having difficulty losing weight despite all this workout.

I wonder that free T and bio available being in the lower part of the range and at 51 the total T seems low.

I see the Dr tomorrow afternoon for a physical.

So what do you "experts" think?

be64
King bed

Postby be64 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:24 am

I agree that you are on the low-end of normal and would benefit from testosterone replacement but this is an area where it's hard to get doctors to treat you.

Unfulfilled
Hammock

Postby Unfulfilled » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:55 pm

How much would or could diet affect T levels.

Im thinking like going all organic tyoe of thing. No canned foods which might have endocrine disruptors such as BPA lined cans etc. i'm not sure what other estrogen like substances in the environment could contribute to the issue.

I am interested in further discussion with my estradiol levels and DHEA. Are rhey out of whack? Both in normal range, but we all know the normal range is nit relieble indicator. Each person may need to be in a different place within that range in order to feel well.

Also notice the extremely wide range for DHEA! It is so wide it is virtually worthless!

Are there anything other than weight lifting I can do to naturally raise or any other supplements I can take withoit prescription that can help?

I was pleased to see my total T go up. But the binding globulin and estradiol also went up. So was that a "wash" and effectively there was no ACTUAL effective increase? I can tell you i do not feel any different. Possibly a bit more muscle tone.

be64
King bed

Postby be64 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:50 pm

I spent a long time trying to increase my testosterone naturally but in the end just started TRT.

What martial art do you do. My son and I do Taekwondo three days a week.

Unfulfilled
Hammock

Postby Unfulfilled » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:41 am

Also Tae Kwon do (TDK). I try 2 days a week. I swim three days a week.

Any comment on my estradiol level?

Unfulfilled
Hammock

Postby Unfulfilled » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:32 am

Met with my Dr. Yesterday.

The good news is that the Dr IS willing to work with me to add T therapy if I wanted to. Either a cream or weekly injections. He did say that he desires the patient to get to inject themselves.

My numbers are not horrible and stated that while he is willing to prescribe and follow up, it would be out of pocket. The costs he quoted were about the same for either method and around $30 a month. Which I found hard to believe.

I have not decided one way or the other just yet. I would like to try a couple of things first. Diet change and loss of weight may, MAY help, but would or should help with my cholesterol levels. So there is only potential upside with no downside risk. On another thread there was a link discussing Boron supplements that seemed promising at least to give a try to. There are other potential be efits to Boron like reduction of inflammatory markers and better absorption for bome density etc. but also a balancing and at least that study showed T levels increase in men. So it seems worth a try.

My Dr. Seems to be very interested in T replacement and medical studies and has written some medical articles etc. so I am thinking of coordinating with him to se if he would comsider a clinical trial of this Boron treatment. Maybe taking some additional blood levels for a few other items and vitamins for baseline. Then comparisons after 6 months and a year after taking the Boron.

So at this point for 6 months or so, the diet and Boron maybe what I try and get re-tested and see if my t levels increase. Dont have much to lose other than a few dollars for the supplemental Boron cost and 6 months of time.

Question:

Does anyone know if there is any connection between Testosterone and cholesterol? Such as low T resumts in high Cholesterol, or vice-versa? Or is cholesterol used as a base to convert to T? Or is there absolutely no connection?

be64
King bed

Postby be64 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:30 am

Thirty dollars seems about right for injectable testosterone. Low cholesterol can cause low T due to the fact that cholesterol is used to make hormones.

Return to “Male Testosterone Issues”