What's low?

Low testosterone issues, impacts on health & marriage, treatments, etc.
padsnd
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): January 1st, 2004

What's low?

Postby padsnd » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:01 pm

I have had some results in the 200s and a result around 400. The Dr doing the testing told me that the 200s weren't accurate because of time of day. Dr also said that the 400 was borderline but not low enough to be treatable. In seeing another doctor for an unrelated matter, I am being told that 700-900 would be normal and 400s are definitely treatable.

I have a number of symptoms that could indicate low T. I know that many of the posts on here talk about low T as being something many doctors ignore or downplay as "not low enough to treat". So, what is 400?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
padsnd

mom210
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 2nd, 1978

Re: What's low?

Postby mom210 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:36 pm

well, 400 might be great if you are 90.
When dh was first tested, his levels came back at 180. Horrible!
He has been to a few different drs that have treated him...
and now he sees both an anti aging doc and a GP.... both are very happy with dh's levels now being in the 990's.
He feel really good at this level.. he has a lot of energy and drive and is just all around happy and feels good.
Dh is 54.

padsnd
Under the stars

What's low?

Postby padsnd » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:18 am

Yeah. I'm not even close to 90, but those around me make think I am.

padsnd

SquarePants
Hammock
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 10th, 2005

Postby SquarePants » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:19 am

There are a couple of ways to look at it. You could use this link (see bottom table for non-diabetic), and see what’s average for your age. What’s your age? The table also gives the standard deviation, so you calculate the number of standard deviations (z-score) your value is from the mean, place that number in this link (choose “One-Sided”) to get your percentile(choose the “100-percent” value on the right).

400 for a 40-44 year old man would be about one standard deviation from the mean, which would mean that you are roughly in the bottom 16% percentile. A value of 250 would be z-score of about 1.8, which would put you in the bottom 4%.

Another way to look at it is to use the results discussed in this article. Their view is that it’s more like thyroid, in that although levels tend to decline with age, the optimum level doesn’t decline with age. Their claim is that the data shows that levels need to be above 550, regardless of age.

Dale

Postby Dale » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:01 am

When I was first tested at the age of 47 (I'm 54 now), my level was 350, and I was having almost all the symptoms of low T. I had to push my doc to treat me, and once I started on the Androgel I have never looked back. Except for an aberrant reading one time of over 1400 ( which was attributable to putting on the gel about 20 minutes before they drew my blood, most likely contaminating the needle), most of my readings have been around 800, which seems to be an optimal level for me.

So yeah, 400 is probably too low for you!

Dale

tentsofpurple
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 4th, 2004

Postby tentsofpurple » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:08 pm

My dh (early 30's) ranged from 340-410 (depending on the lab time of day etc.) and he was having many of the symptoms. After much searching we finally found a dr. who would treat him and now after weekly injections he feels much better. His doctors likes to see him in the 700-900 range for levels.

padsnd
Under the stars

Postby padsnd » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:34 pm

Hopefully he will do something. It has been almost impossible for me to do basic activity most days. Unfortunately, I have to have another round of tests to confirm everything and the next appointment (when we review the results) is over a month from now.

padsnd

SeekingChange
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 17th, 1994

Postby SeekingChange » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:12 pm

I have started wondering if my husband's numbers are dropping... just because of slight changes, but then I wonder if things are just stress or other outside factors. Do you know a ballpark figure of how much the test is to get your T checked, before insurance?
God can change what people do, behavioral patterns that have been in play for decades. He can change what we do to cope, find comfort, survive conflict, to count. Rahab had done a same old thing for years...then she did something new.

My Story

ledgemoor
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 3rd, 1982

Postby ledgemoor » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:29 pm

My bHRT doctor is in his 70s and keeps his levels 700-800. I plan on staying there the rest of my life. High enough to keep me thin and hard, not enough that estrogen conversion or testicular shrinkage is a problem.

Don't be afraid to treat it. Whatever damage you may do to yourself by taking too much can likely be reversed by lowering your dosage.
Everything you ever wanted in life is just outside your comfort zone (Jamie Lee Curtis)

mom210

Postby mom210 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:25 pm

SeekingChange wrote: Do you know a ballpark figure of how much the test is to get your T checked, before insurance?

they are running a special now..( this company uses Labcorp)...$29 http://www.excelmale.com/showthread.php ... Time-Offer

SeekingChange
Under the stars

Postby SeekingChange » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:34 pm

Thanks! I guess I should gather a list of symptoms to talk to my husband about and see if he's willing to go get checked.
God can change what people do, behavioral patterns that have been in play for decades. He can change what we do to cope, find comfort, survive conflict, to count. Rahab had done a same old thing for years...then she did something new.

My Story

mom210

Postby mom210 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:02 pm

If he goes through that link I sent you, he will not need to get a scrip.. they have drs on staff that will do that and you can get him tested , see what his level is and go from there.. he should be able to download the results and since they come through Labcorp most drs will accept them

Romantic Husband
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): January 1st, 1978

Postby Romantic Husband » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:38 pm

Since you have having symptoms, I'd continue to pursue this. My T tested in the mid to high 400's, which my Dr. said was borderline for my age (early 60's). I'm not having symptoms, so as long as everything is working like it's supposed to, I'm not going to try to fix it. You can bet, however, that if I were having symptoms that I'd be beating down the doctor's door looking for a solution.
Matthew 19:26 - With God all things are possible.
Philippians 4:13 - I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

SeekingChange
Under the stars

Postby SeekingChange » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:19 pm

@mom210, are you talking about the link to "excelmale" or to "discountedlabs" where we order the tests through?

My Story

mom210

Postby mom210 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:06 pm

discount labs...but to get the special you need to access the link through excel male

SeekingChange
Under the stars

Postby SeekingChange » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:44 pm

We ordered the lab tests. My husband was very open to the idea, I didn't have to do any "convincing", that makes me wonder if he's been noticing some things as well.

My Story

mom210

Postby mom210 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:21 am

That's great! maybe you will get the answers that you've been looking for.

padsnd
Under the stars

What's low?

Postby padsnd » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:07 pm

Turns out I'm a completely normal 90 year old who for some reason can't remember anything about WWII except for the old movies I used to watch.

After seeing labs, Dr wants to try clomid approach. I always hear about T here, but I only saw one or two posts about men taking clomid to slow down the feedback loop and thereby raise LH/FSH so that natural T production rises. Anyone had success with this approach? I'm told it is a slower approach, but it has some benefits over the side-effects of actual T.

Last edited by padsnd on Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
padsnd

ledgemoor
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 3rd, 1982

Postby ledgemoor » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:09 pm

It is my understanding that with primary hypogonadism, in which your testicles are just plain not producing, your LH/FSH will be abnormally high. Your body needs more testosterone, so it naturally raises LH & FSH to tell your nuts to produce more. They can't, so the LH/FSH stays high.

But if your LH/FSH is not high and your testosterone is low, you have secondary hypogonadism, and clomid etc. is how they treat it. So for sure, assuming the doctor knows what he is talking about, and it sounds like he does, I would go for it. It will take some time to get results no matter what you do. Testosterone injections took a month before I noticed just a small improvement. If they do put you on testosterone, they will likely start conservatively and need to up the dose. Better too little than too much. Be patient.

Secondary hypogonadism is more common younger men with low testosterone BTW. For us old guys, it is almost always primary. I started having problems in my early 50's.
Everything you ever wanted in life is just outside your comfort zone (Jamie Lee Curtis)

be64
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): March 25th, 1988

Postby be64 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:25 pm

Clomid may work for some men but not all men. There are side effects to consider with clomid as well. One of them being an increase in eye floaters.

For those who are secondary HCG can also work but it's a lot more expensive than just using testosterone injections.

I do small daily testosterone cypionate injections subcutaneously and my testosterone level is consistently in the range of 1150.

The goal should be to at least have free testosterone in the upper fourth of the range.
The secret to having everything is believing you already do!

Return to “Male Testosterone Issues”