My T results

Low testosterone issues, impacts on health & marriage, treatments, etc.
SeekingChange
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 17th, 1994

Re: My T results

Postby SeekingChange » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:21 pm

be64 wrote:Low cholesterol can cause low T due to the fact that cholesterol is used to make hormones.

Truly? My husband has super low cholesterol, what can be done about that?
God can change what people do, behavioral patterns that have been in play for decades. He can change what we do to cope, find comfort, survive conflict, to count. Rahab had done a same old thing for years...then she did something new.

My Story

be64
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): March 25th, 1988

Postby be64 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:40 pm

My cholesterol has been on the low side and I've suggested to my doctor that I should do everything opposite of what they say to do to lower your cholesterol such and poor nutrition etc. He didn't think that was a good idea.
The secret to having everything is believing you already do!

Unfulfilled
Hammock
Date of your marriage (past or future): September 5th, 1989

Postby Unfulfilled » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:30 pm

My problem is HIGH cholesterol. So lack of sufficient cholesterol cannot be responsible for my low(er) T levels.

Being 51 years old, I do nof knlw what an age adjusted reasonable Total or free T levels should be. I'm not asking for suoer highevels. In fact a high sex drive has been a "curse" to me for decades. So I'm not looking to sxleriemce that again. But removing some of the other symptoms of low T would be nice to eliminate. Even though my levels ade not that bad, nor are my symptoms.

Unfulfilled
Hammock

Postby Unfulfilled » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:30 am

I posted this on the Boron thread. But wantes to re-post it here to possibly get some more feedback from folks more familiar with T levels and T-HRT
Latest two T levels (listed below)

Well I gave a shot to two different supplements. One to help lower cholesterol (Berberine). Dismal failure. Didn’t change a thing. If anything ended up slightly WORSE but mostly within the margin of testing variability. This was fairly expensive at nearly $50/mo so bye-bye Berberine!

Second supplement was Boron to help raise my T levels and lower estrogen. Did three months. 1st month was at 9 mg/day the remaining two months at 6 mg/day. It has also proven to be a total and dismal failure. In fact, ALL of my numbers are worse. Far worse to the effect that it is my lowest level recorded for Total T and highest levels of estradiol since I began testing and keeping track of the various blood levels starting in July 2014.

Also for reference, I just turned 51 in September. I am 5’-7” and 165 lbs and I regularly exercise by swimming three times a week (swimming over 1 mile per session), PLUS I also go to Tea Kwon Do twice a week. My BMI calculates to 25.8 which is considered slightly “overweight” with the cut-off between normal and overweight BMI=25. Despite all the exercise and workouts, I do I do NOT lose any weight. However, if I take a break from working out, I quickly gain weight. I do take Thyroid replacement with a very small dose.

I will give the last two blood labs. The percentage is the percent of the “normal” range.

Blood test on 10/3/17 Just this last fall:
Total Testosterone = 461 (220-813) 59.9%
Free T= 9.33 (5.6-21) 24.2%
SHBG= 34.6 (10-57) 52.3%
Bio-avail= 219 (131-682) 16.0%
DHEA = 256 (62-1,636) 12.4%
Estradiol = 37 (0-56) 66.1%
—————
Blood test date: 2/14/18 – Just yesterday after 3 months of Boron
Total = 370 (220-813) 43.4%
Free T= 7.74 (5.6-21) 13.9%
SHBG= N/A %
Bio-avail= 181 (131-682) 9.1%
DHEA =231 (62-1,636) 10.8%
Estradiol = 41 (0-56) 73.2%
------
So, the use of Boron for three months, results showed my Total T to be LOWERED by nearly 100 points, and my Free T to be LOWERED by 2 points, while my Estradiol INCREASED by 4 points! EVERY number is worse!
I won’t necessarily say that Boron is the complete reason for the decline. But really NOTHING else has changed in my diet or lifestyle over the last 3 months. So, it was either a biologic hormonal decline that kicked in coincidentally, or it was in fact the Boron, or some combination of the two.

This clinical response at least in this sample of one, would indicate complete failure to do what the Boron article stated it would do. The article stated that for men it would RAISE the Testosterone levels and LOWER estrogen. When in fact, in my specific case, it has seemed to have the EXACT OPPOSITE effect.
I am very discouraged. I could eat a better diet and go completely organic etc. But I HIGHLY DOUBT that this would have any chance to raise T levels by the 200+ points I would need to get back to what would be a reasonably healthy T level for a 51-year old man. I would “only” need to lose no more than 10 lbs to get me into the “normal” BMI rage. And while it would certainly be a good thing, and reduced body fat may help with T levels, I doubt it would result in much of anything close to 100’s of points!

I just do not understand why so many men like myself are having low T issues when they have really no other health concerns/issues. There MUST be a cause for an entire population of the USA and the “west” in general to have a population wide decline in T levels of men compared to say 50 years ago! Sure, some percentage of the population may have issues with T levels due to genetics. But genetics have been with us thousands/millions of years. I highly doubt that “all of a sudden” in the last 50 years genetics is the cause of this population wide decrease in T levels of men. There MUST be some other environmental or cultural cause.

Would it be a good idea for me to take DIM? Or is my only via le options to either do nothing or jump to at least weekly injections?

Nvr2Late
On the floor
Date of your marriage (past or future): February 9th, 2013

Postby Nvr2Late » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:05 pm

Couple things jump out at me.

How often do you inject your T? More frequent smaller doses give better results and less conversion to estradiol.
Thyroid status? Inability to lose weight unless you work out like a maniac? Are you familiar with www.stopthethyroidmadness.com? Might want to get in there and see what you can learn. If you're not optimized on thyroid replacement, you will never lose weight.

How high or low carb is your diet in general? That might be a factor. Anything that spikes insulin will make you store fat. If you are concerned about that factor, I would recommend The Obesity Code by Dr Jason Fung. You don't sound like you have a huge weight issue, but you might be on a trajectory that will land you in trouble if it continues, IMO. OTOH, muscle weighs more than fat, so measuring or noting how your clothing fits, is often a better indicator of weight loss/gain.

Unfulfilled
Hammock

Postby Unfulfilled » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:19 am

I am NOT currently on testosterone replacement. I have dine more than a decade of study on thyroid because my DW is Hypo. As result of that study I too am taking thyroid replacement. My free T4 and Free T3 are pretty good and I do not have really any significant hypothyroid symptoms. Other than fatigue. Which is also a symptom of low testosterone with my blood labs showing lower Testosterone, it would suggest more likily the result of low Testosterone. Issues in weight correspond with about the same time I started getting tested for low testosterone which at the time were nust marginally low.

I am aware of stop the thyroid madness and many other sites. Thank you for the suggestion. DW and I are “training” and have had to educate seceral doctors on proper treatment of thyroid. The lack of true understanding of how to properly treat and understand blood labs and nust how worthless TSH test is, is amazing. Most Dr’s and endocrinologists simply are not taught correctly and keep recycling old, out of date and incorrect teachings.

I could eat lower carbs than I do. But I have maintained my weight well. I am currently only about 10 lbs heavier than I was in high school over 30 years ago. So all in all that is not a huge factor. My blood sugar is also very good, so I dont think leptin or insulin resistance is probably a significant factor.

DW and I may try a whole30 or similar diet. We did that a couple years ago DW lost a lot of weight and I did lose thise 10 lbs. so I have confidence if we did it again we would have similar result. However I don’t believe that the loss of 10 lbs will have much of any impact on increasing my Testosterone levels. But maybe I’m wrong about that.

Hoosier52
King bed

Postby Hoosier52 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:23 am

I know I'm a bit of a broken record on this, but call Defy Medical for help. They are the TRT experts in America. Unless you can finagle something with your insurance (some Do get their insurance to pay for it) you'll have to pay out-of-pocket. I wasted over a year trying to find a local TRT doctor to no avail. They just don't have the training or expertise.

Good luck!

Unfulfilled
Hammock

Postby Unfulfilled » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:34 am

My primay Doctor is open to treating me. So I’m a little torn to give him a try or go directly to Defy.
I am going to soring break to clearwater FL and Defy is located only an hour drive away in Tampa. So maybe I could arrange an in person visit.

I think my primay dr suggested weekly injections. Not sure what doseage. I just emailed him yesterday to see what he would suggest and if we should meet to talk about options.

I have gone to the defy website and watched videos etc and they are impressive for sure. Just not too familiar with long distance online medical care versus being able to meet face to face in person.

Hoosier52
King bed

Postby Hoosier52 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:39 am

Weekly injections are not good because of the half-life of T. I do injections every 3.5 days. Some do every other day and some so every day. It keeps the T level more level without hills and valleys. You ought to go to Defy and talk to them. I would love to do that. I've been with them for 2 years and very happy with the treatment and expertise of the medical staff.

Large dose weekly injections will also drive up your estradiol and hematocrit faster that multiple injections of smaller doses. If your doc would follow Defy's protocol, that would be a good option. To get your doc to do that you need to show him the research on it.

reillyj
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 7th, 1981

Postby reillyj » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:11 pm

My H's Endo rx'd weekly injections. We simply divide it into 2 injections a week. He doesn't know that, not sure if i should even bring it up to him since he's pretty much worthless IRT actual treatment and we use him for prescribing.

But i wouldn't go w/weekly. H injects (or i inject him) Sunday and Wednesday. He had a test done Wed morning before injection and level was just under 800.

Another test was done Thursday morning and he injected later that day, we couldn't get into the lab until Thursday so postponed Wednesdays injection and it was just above 500

Unfulfilled
Hammock

Postby Unfulfilled » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:46 pm

I realize more frequently is better. However most I read the dr’s prescribe every TWO weeks so even at once a week is much better improvement.

I suppose buying double the needles and sucking up half the amount is not that difficult.

I would (if I even decide to do T replacement) like to try subQ but I think that might be a bridge too far for my primary Dr.

It will be mid-March when we be in FL.

The Defy website says free consultation. Is that really free? And do you a tually speak with Dr. saya or some nurse or something? Can I send my lab results by email ahead so they have more info on hand if I call them?

Like I said, I’m not sure how WI to FL long distance medical treatment works?

I want to keep hematocrit in check. As I dont do well with giving blood. Needles are no problem, sight of blood no problem. But after a few minutes Anout half way through donation I for whatever reason go almost “lights out!” I have also had the lines clot up. Bottom line my experiences with blood donation have been pretty mich negative. My mom has the same issues.

Hoosier52
King bed

Postby Hoosier52 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:41 pm

Unfulfilled wrote:I would (if I even decide to do T replacement) like to try subQ but I think that might be a bridge too far for my primary Dr.

I buy my own needles and do SubQ. No script needed.

Unfulfilled wrote:The Defy website says free consultation. Is that really free?

You'll no doubt have the free consult with staff. Take your lab results with you.

Unfulfilled wrote:Like I said, I’m not sure how WI to FL long distance medical treatment works?

10,000 patients...it works very well. Much more contact than I ever had with a local Dr.

Unfulfilled wrote:I dont do well with giving blood.

I have never donated. I would not do well. I don't do well with blood draws.

Return to “Male Testosterone Issues”