What kind of doctor should we look for to treat low T

Low testosterone issues, impacts on health & marriage, treatments, etc.
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:26 pm
Date of your marriage (past or future): July 17th, 1996
Gender: Female

What kind of doctor should we look for to treat low T

Postby abcdef » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:44 am

a year ago I posted because I thought DH was showing signs of low T including having ED. Numbers then were Total T of 508 and Free of 10.8. Lowish for his age (45 at the time) but not impossible. We've been working on addressing his low D and high cholesterol. Things have been slightly better in the ED area but the last couple of months he has had no energy for anything. It didn't help that he switched jobs and acclimating has been pretty stressful for him. His primary doctor has left and I haven't been able to convince him to find a new one. I did convinced him to at least do a T and estradiol test through one of those online lab companies. We have no labs (LABCORP or QUEST) anywhere near us but he was traveling out of state and would be within 10 minutes of a lab so he stopped in.

We just got back the results back and his total is 329 ng/dl and his Free is 4.9 pg/ml and both are showing low even for "normal" reference range.

So now I have DH's attention that he really does need to go back to the doctor. I've read so many stories about doctors not treating low T properly that I want to find a good one from the get-go if possible. Do we start with primary care doctor, do we go straight to a urologist (we don't need referals for insurance) do we look somewhere else? (By the way there are no bodylogic or atm doctors within 100 miles of us and DH doesn't have the vacation time to take off to travel that far). I also read about DefyMD that treats low T over the internet.

So any advice on how to find a good doctor to deal with this? DH feel awful so I really don't want to spend months running around trying to find someone to treat him.

King bed
Posts: 437
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:19 pm

Re: What kind of doctor should we look for to treat low T

Postby Hoosier52 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:41 pm

I found and went to Biote doctor. They primarily do pellets but I wanted to try injections and he was good with it. You can do a search for one in your area. Also, Defy Medical works with men across the nation. Probably a better choice than the Biote.

User avatar
King bed
Posts: 619
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:33 am
Date of your marriage (past or future): March 25th, 1988
Gender: Male

Re: What kind of doctor should we look for to treat low T

Postby be64 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:50 pm

The doctor could be a primary care physician, a urologist, or an endocrinologist however there is no guarantee any of these will know much about testosterone. The important thing is to find a doctor that is into hormone treatment and willing to help you.

One suggestion is to ask local pharmacies for references on what doctors in your area are prescribing testosterone for men. A doctor prescribing a lot of testosterone likely know what he is doing.
The secret to having everything is believing you already do!

User avatar
King bed
Posts: 672
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:11 am
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 4th, 2004
Gender: Female

Re: What kind of doctor should we look for to treat low T

Postby tentsofpurple » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:39 am

We went through 4 doctors (primary care, "wellness dr" and two endocrinologists) before we found a doctor willing to treat dh's low T. We had the most success with a urologist (he practices at a men's health clinic). He told us that their office goes to conferences on Men's health issues and testosterone supplementation all around the country on a regular basis (the founder of the practice wrote a book on testosterone therapy, if you are interested pm me and I'll get you the info). But at these conferences almost unilaterally endocrinologists and urologists disagree on what the optimal levels of testosterone are for men, with the endocrinologists falling on the (much) lower side and the urologists falling on the higher side. So all that to say that between him telling us that and the two endocrinologists we saw who said that dh's levels in low 300's were "within normal range and fine" I would not recommend an endocrinologist.

Return to “Male Testosterone Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users