Defy Medical for TRT

Low testosterone issues, impacts on health & marriage, treatments, etc.
ledgemoor
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 3rd, 1982

Re: Anyone Using Defy Medical for TRT?

Postby ledgemoor » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:31 am

I would go ahead and get the IM injections, use them for a while to establish a baseline, then try SubQ. The doctor doesn't need to know about it. You can order syringes from allegromedical.com without a prescription.

I tried subq for a while. It didn't seem as effective, so I am back to IM now. I may try subq again -- I think I was using too long a needle and was causing bruising. But IM is fine. Do it in your butt and you can hardly feel it. As a cyclist, I was concerned about long-term muscle damage, but upon further research, it turns out not to be an issue. The damage is apparently caused by the testosterone, and not the needle. The small amounts we inject is not an issue.
Everything you ever wanted in life is just outside your comfort zone (Jamie Lee Curtis)

justsomeguy
Double
Date of your marriage (past or future): January 1st, 1998

Postby justsomeguy » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:53 am

Thanks LM.

I'm a bit of a cyclist myself (only ~100 miles/week) but when I ride I like to go all out / HIIT. I wonder if doing that causes implanted T to be metabolized faster - my Testopel didn't last long at all. I also asked my doc whether he thought there was any correlation between cycling and ED stuff and to my surprise he thought there was, based on his own experience with patients. I have a hard Fizik saddle with a deep channel supposedly to protect the nerves down there but my doc said he can't think how cycling WOULDN'T adversely affect sexual function (nonetheless he strongly recommended me continue cycling for the other cardio benefits).

Do you have any thoughts on cycling and T and/or ED?

LovesHisKitten
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 26th, 1990

Postby LovesHisKitten » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:51 am

Not a good idea to hide from one doc what another is doing. Either tell your current you want to change to a different treatment and let him manage it, or tell him you're unsatisfied with his service and move someplace else for treatment.
"Some say, that he is one of the protons in the Large Hadron Collider, AND that he creates miniature black holes every time he sneezes."

Hoosier52
King bed

Postby Hoosier52 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:24 am

I have my phone consultation with Dr. Saya of Defy medical this week. I've had some side effects such as high blood pressure and rising hemotacrit. My PSA also went up to 4.1. I'm a bit discouraged by the TRT right now and partly blame the doctor who originally prescribed it. He did no baseline testing and mocked the idea that TRT could raise my BP. My total T was 1500 when I had it checked with the other blood work.

Dr. Saya can hopefully get all of this straightened out.

txtwindad
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 13th, 1983

Postby txtwindad » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:53 am

The BP rise may be mainly due to the high iron levels. Have you given blood yet. Would be good to give blood and check your blood pressure in a day or two. My BP is fine normally, but it does begin to creep up when I need to give blood.

1500 is way high, as I'm sure you know. Getting it down to 700-1000 will probably take care of much of the side effects. Also, using smaller doses more often will help.

Good thing you ditched the other doctor.
 "Baby, Baby go and fetch some water,
Pour it on me so's I don't melt.
Can't you see you've got me burnin' hotter
Than a black vinyl car seat in ..." Two Tons of Steel

Hoosier52
King bed

Postby Hoosier52 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:20 pm

My hematacrit was 51. Not over the top, but high. I have never given blood and don't want to. I'm squeamish about all that. Don't even like having blood drawn. I'm sure Dr. Saya can get me on the right track.

txtwindad
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 13th, 1983

Postby txtwindad » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:23 pm

Needing to give blood regularly is very common on T treatment. Plus it is good for the community.
 "Baby, Baby go and fetch some water,
Pour it on me so's I don't melt.
Can't you see you've got me burnin' hotter
Than a black vinyl car seat in ..." Two Tons of Steel

Hoosier52
King bed

Postby Hoosier52 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:38 pm

My consultation with Dr. Saya was GREAT! What a relief to talk to a Doctor who is an expert in TRT. The consult by phone lasted about 50 minutes. He has lowered by T dosage, putting me on HCG and DHEA/Pregnenolone capsules. Thinks I may have high SHBG.

He wants me to have a DRE and will recheck blood levels in 2 months. I HIGHLY recommend Defy Medical.

justsomeguy
Double
Date of your marriage (past or future): January 1st, 1998

Postby justsomeguy » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:36 pm

That's my next stop if my young urological surgeon doesn't get the job done.

Can you give me an idea of the cost involved? Doubtful my HMO would contribute anything at all to them...

Hoosier52
King bed

Postby Hoosier52 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:52 pm

You have to have a physical - I got a Camp physical at CVS Minute Clinic and you have to have blood-work which was $169 through the company they work with. The blood work is the most thorough I've ever had. The consult with Dr. Saya was $250. I was on the phone with him for 50 minutes. He was very thorough AND he knows what he's talking about. My meds will be about $250 for a 3 month supply. That includes syringes and needles.

If you call them, they can set up a free consult and give you all the details. I'm a new patient and they have already called me 3-4 times. MY previous doc really messed me up and could have endangered my health. You won't find anyone better than Defy. I've yet to read one negative comment from any of their patients. If I were you, I'd just make the move. You won't be disappointed.

Hoosier52
King bed

Postby Hoosier52 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:49 pm

All of my prescribed med's from Defy arrived on Friday. They came from APS Compounding Pharmacy in FL. Great service.

Hoosier52
King bed

Postby Hoosier52 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:36 am

Two weeks into Defy and I got a phone call from one of the staff to see how I was doing or if I had any questions. If you are struggling with your TRT, I highly recommend Defy. My previous doc never called me to see how I was doing.

My wife is also switching over. Already had her physical and blood work. Her consult with Dr. Saya will be in a couple of weeks.

Hoosier52
King bed

Postby Hoosier52 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:09 am

Wanted to bump this post again. My wife has also started treatment with Defy. We are both very pleased with the care they provide. It's unlike anything we've ever had before. They stay in contact with you, notify you when prescriptions need to be refilled and hey couldn't be nicer or more helpful.

My wife has noticed more energy. We are both on DHEA and sleeping better. My mood is calmer and more relaxed. Sex life is good.

I have a problem with rising PSA. If it continues, Dr. Saya wants me to see a urologist to get checked. I think it's BPH or inflammation. I had a DRE from a doctor 2 months ago and he said it as fine. I'll soon be 65.

If you want to start TRT or switch to a Dr. that knows TRT in and out, call Defy. The prices are reasonable and the care couldn't be better.

Hoosier52
King bed

Using HCG?

Postby Hoosier52 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:16 am

Defy Medical and Dr. Saya have me injecting 300 units of HCG twice weekly in addition to my twice weekly injections of Testosterone. I started HCG about 4 months ago. Is anyone else using HCG and have you noticed any changes good or bad.

For those who don't know about HCG, when men start TRT their testicles shut down. The testicles will often shrink and it also hinders sperm production. HCG was originally used to treat breast cancer in women but can also be used to treat men to restart testicular functions and to maintain size.

Some men report an increase in libido, sensitivity and erection quality. Others have reported that erection quality has gone down. What's your experience?

gratefulman
Twin size

Re: Using HCG?

Postby gratefulman » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:47 am

On what days do you inject hcg and T? I have prescriptions for both but not good advice on how to time them relative to each other. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SquarePants
California King
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 10th, 2005

Postby SquarePants » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:15 am

I was originally on an HCG-only therapy for a while, and then changed to HCG plus testosterone. Last summer, I had one month of testosterone without the HCG. I think that I just felt a little better (energy levels and mood) with the HCG compared to testosterone without the HCG. I got off the HCG-only therapy because it wasn't able to boost my testosterone levels high enough. I've never had a problem with libido. Erection quality didn't seem to be affected for me. For the people who reported reduced erection quality, I wonder if they were controlling their estrogen levels adequately. Dr. Crisler seems to think that HCG tends to boost "well-being," which seems to match my experience.

Hoosier52
King bed

Postby Hoosier52 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:23 am

gratefulman wrote:On what days do you inject hcg and T? I have prescriptions for both but not good advice on how to time them relative to each other.

I inject both on same day. For me that's Wed AM and Sat PM.

I'm taking off from HCG this week to see if it effects EQ. I did notice an increase in big increase in sensitivity.

be64
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): March 25th, 1988

Postby be64 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:35 pm

I've changed things around a lot but I'm currently injecting .08ml test cyp and 160IU HCG sub q every day. I'd say the only thing I've really noticed from the HCG is larger testicles. On testosterone only they got small, soft and light and didn't hang down in the scrotum. HCG keeps them big.
The secret to having everything is believing you already do!

Nvr2Late
Fell out of ...
Date of your marriage (past or future): February 9th, 2013

Postby Nvr2Late » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:44 pm

Hoosier, if you don't mind my asking, what form of TRT is your wife using? Is she still happy with it?

Hoosier52
King bed

My First Year Using Defy Medical

Postby Hoosier52 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:49 am

I completed my first year using Defy Medical and just wanted to give an update.

My latest Total T was 1176. Free T was 20.6. MY SHBG dropped to 65.4. DHEA was 379.3. That's the good news.

My estradiol (sensitive test) was 10.4. It was 16 about 4 months ago. They lowered my dose of AI and it still went down.
Another concern is my hematocrit. The two last tests showed the same 52.7 level. A bit high, but I live in the high desert which is a factor.

My PSA was at 4. It's hovered around that number for over a year. I am 65 years old.

I had my annual physical for Defy about 3 weeks ago and everything was good except for my HBP. Could be related to the hematocrit. My CNP did a DRE and she said there was no enlargement of the prostate and no nodules.

I had my consult with Nurse Jill from Defy yesterday. She wants me to increase my HCG to 300 units 3 times a week from 2 times. She also said to drop the AI and not take anything unless I feel symptoms of high estrogen. Even better, no blood work for 6 months. Thus far, it's been every 3 months. I not only hate the blood draws, it's very expensive at about $275 each time I'm tested.

Return to “Male Testosterone Issues”