Testosterone Cures Prostate Cancer

Low testosterone issues, impacts on health & marriage, treatments, etc.
Hoosier52
King bed

Testosterone Cures Prostate Cancer

Postby Hoosier52 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:58 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016 ... tosterone/

I've always thought low T is what opens the door to prostate cancer. Now they have found that particular T therapies can cure advanced prostate cancer - at least in one study.
Last edited by Hoosier52 on Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

be64
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): March 25th, 1988

Re: Testosterone Cures Prostate Cancer

Postby be64 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:48 pm

I haven't read the link yet, but I'm betting that high testosterone is good for the prostate. From other things I've read there is significant evidence that it isn't low testosterone and high estradiol, the exact combination most old men have, that causes prostate cancer, not the high testosterone low estradiol that young men have. I'm working to keep my testosterone high and estradiol low.

Doctors think that testosterone fuels prostate cancer because it has been shown that if you castrate a man with prostate cancer that the disease slows but most of the time it then turns into an much more aggressive form of cancer and the man dies anyway. In the long run the castration does no good and just makes the man a sexless eunuch.

I have a book written on the subject which I could find a link to if you are interested.
The secret to having everything is believing you already do!

Hoosier52
King bed

Postby Hoosier52 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:28 am

It's a good story. In one of the comments it states that the idea that taking way T to combat prostate cancer came from a faulty 1950's study by one doctor.

I told my doctor one time that it was low T that led to prostate cancer as it's the old guys and not the young guys (high T) who typically get it. You could tell he'd never thought of that before. He's no longer my doc as he shut down his practice. He was not knowledgeable on T, but he was teachable. Wish I could find another one like him.

Unfulfilled
Hammock
Date of your marriage (past or future): September 5th, 1989

Postby Unfulfilled » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:08 am

I saw and read this article this morning and was going to start a thread on it. Good to see that others had the same idea.

I ring it interesting that the average age of a man getting prostate cancer is about 69. Tied to a lower T level.

I think the rate of prostate cancer has increased over recent years. I find it extremely intriguing that the average T levels of men has also declined as a population also over this same recent time frame. Mostly due I believe to endocrine disrupting chemicals in or food and environment even in our clothing and furniture and bedsheets etc for fire retardants etc.

So it seems to me there is a very strong correlation between the lowering of T levels and in idencenof prostate cancer. Both as a result of the decrease with age, but also with the population decrease of T levels in the male population.

I have T level of a man 10 years older than I am. I have not sought replacement therapy because the lower sex drive has been a blessing due to my low drive wife. I was able to "love with" the consequences of low T of less stamina (more fatigue) and harder to maintain muscle tone and lose weight.

But now I wonder if I am putting myself under higher risk of getting prostate cancer and all the negatives potential that goes with cancer. I don't think I want to accept that side effect of leaving my T levels lower than where they should be for a man my age! So I think a new blood test to check my levels and a discussion with my doctor is in order!

be64
King bed

Postby be64 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:23 pm

Here is an excerpt from the book in mentioned earlier.

http://www.lifeextension.com/Magazine/2 ... er/Page-01

The Twit
Blanket on a secluded beach!
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 14th, 1993

Postby The Twit » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:43 pm

Dumb question: If this is true and substantiated by clinical tests then wouldn't a test of man's T level be included at the same time as his PDA tests?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

be64
King bed

Postby be64 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:59 pm

Because 99% of doctors believe testosterone causes cancer.

Medic
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 24th, 2015

Postby Medic » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:46 pm

My anatomy professor, doctorate in neurology and former medical school professor, was actually talking about this new research article today in class. He said this was surprising to the medical community, as previously, higher testosterone amounts have been shown to worsen, not inhibit, prostrate cancer. Obviously, this new research shows that ig given a very high dosage testosterone it not only inhibits the cancer but seems to stop in its tracks. In this study one of the patients had a complete remission while the rest of the patient,s the treatment, caused the cancer cells to stop dividing and growing. It is important to remember this is only one study, but this is VERY promising, as this is one of the leading causes of death for men (1 in 7 will be diagnosed). Hopefully future studies will be able to replicate these results.

This is really exciting prospect for one type of cancer. I know the Mayo Clinic has been making some significant strides in the past few years with some new treatments. I remain hopeful that in the next decade we may possibly figure out how to stop most types of cancer.

--
Medic
Browsing lingerie section: "Hmmmm she is intelligent... creative... and she likes to volunteer... the french maid outfit should do." :wink:

Unfulfilled
Hammock

Postby Unfulfilled » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:43 am

^^^

To me this shows the disconnect with common sense. It should not take a rocket scientist to connect any dots here.

Prostate cancer is primarily diagnosed in elderly men. Elderly men have lower T levels. Young men with higher T levels don't generally get prostate cancer. So simple common sense would seem to suggest the POSSIBILITY that decreased T levels or testosterone in some way played a part. And that it would seem obvious that higher T levels would be a BENEFICIAL.

Instead it appears they took the approach that women have lower T levels then men and women don't get prostate cancer so low T levels must be a good thing. See how ridiculous that sounds.

I wonder if there is a multi million dollar government grant funding research that will likely prove that life is the leading cause of death. As the facts have shown that no one has ever survived this earth who was born without dying first!

OldMarriedLady
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 7th, 1983

Postby OldMarriedLady » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:01 pm

Unfulfilled wrote:women don't get prostate cancer so low T levels must be a good thing. See how ridiculous that sounds.

Um, the reason women don't get prostate cancer is because women don't have a prostate. :lol: I highly doubt that women were involved in any way in their reasoning.
"When you love them, they drive you crazy - because they know they can."
(From the 1987 movie "Moonstruck", written by John Patrick Shanley)

Unfulfilled
Hammock

Postby Unfulfilled » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:23 pm

^^^

That's exactly the point! It is ridiculous.

It seems equally ridiculous that they could come to the conclusion that higher T levels causes or worsens the odds for prostate cancer when by and large only men with lower levels of Testosterone actually are the people who get prostate cancer. It is diametrically opposed to common sense.

be64
King bed

Postby be64 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:10 pm

It's not just testosterone we need to be concerned about. High estradiol in men is likely more damaging to a mans health that low testosterone.

Unfulfilled
Hammock

Postby Unfulfilled » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:42 am

Can someone provide a little tutorial on the relationship in a man, of testosterone levels and estriodol?

Will having a higher level of eatiadol result in lower free Testosterone? Or are they unrelated. Can a man with say a total t of 600 and a free T of as 12. Can he feel great or not great solely based upon what his estiadol level is? Or will having higher estriadol mess up the other balance between total and free T and/or SHBG?

Why do so many doctors resist testing men's estriadol levels if in fact it is important to do so?

Hoosier52
King bed

Postby Hoosier52 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:08 pm

be64
King bed

Postby be64 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:43 pm

I'll start by saying that a doctor once told my brother that there is no reason to check estradiol in men because you can't do anything about it anyway. That shows how in the dark that doctor was because you can absolutely do something about estradiol levels.

I will give an over simplified explanation of the relationship between estradiol and testosterone. The brain dectects the estradiol is low so it signals the testes to produce testosterone. Some of that testosterone is converted into estradiol by means of he aromatase enzyme. When the brain dectects sufficient estradiol then the signal to produce testosterone is turned off. This cycle is ongoing throughout the day. It's called a pulsate signal in that testosterone is produced in small pulses throughout the day. Notice that the brain does not use the testosterone to dictate how much testosterone is produced. As men age they produce more aromatase which is primarily made in the fat so the fatter you are the more estrogen you will have.

Therefore men with high estradiol will naturally have low testosterone. Lowering estradiol can in some men be sufficient to increase testosterone. High estradiol also often raises SHBG which binds testosterone and causes a lower free testosterone level. Men with high SHBG also generally have an artificially high total testosterone level because bound testosterone stays in circulation longer than it otherwise would so there is a build up of bound testosterone which cannot be used by the body but is counted in the total testosterone level which is why it's really only measuring free testosterone that matters as far as I'm concerned.

Return to “Male Testosterone Issues”