Starting T replacement

Low testosterone issues, impacts on health & marriage, treatments, etc.
teebone
Date of your marriage (past or future): April 10th, 1990

Starting T replacement

Postby teebone » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:56 am

I’m 51 and expecting the doctor to start me on testosterone shots this week. The levels of both T3 and free testosterone are very low. What do I need to request from him other than shots once or twice a week?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gratefulman
Twin size

Re: Starting T replacement

Postby gratefulman » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:07 pm

Ask him always to check Estradiol along with free and total T, and SHBG. Want to make sure Estradiol doesn’t go too high as your testosterone goes home. If the doctor doesn’t understand the relationship between these, then you should ideally find a doctor that does.

Good luck!

Hoosier52
King bed

Postby Hoosier52 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:04 pm

I've been on TRT injections for about 2 years. I agree with gratefulman, if your doc doesn't understand the connection between Estradiol and TRT, find another doctor. If he orders an Estradiol test and it's NOT the SENSITIVE Estradiol test, find another doctor.

Sadly, most docs are not trained in TRT. That's why I use and recommend Defy Medical for TRT. They are the BEST in the country. Hormones are too powerful for you to be some doctors guinea pig.

OldMarriedLady
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 7th, 1983

Postby OldMarriedLady » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:09 pm

Hopefully your doctor will let you self-inject at home, rather than have to go to his office for it twice a week.
"When you love them, they drive you crazy - because they know they can."
(From the 1987 movie "Moonstruck", written by John Patrick Shanley)

gratefulman
Twin size

Postby gratefulman » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:22 pm

OldMarriedLady wrote:Hopefully your doctor will let you self-inject at home, rather than have to go to his office for it twice a week.

Great point!

ledgemoor
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 3rd, 1982

Postby ledgemoor » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:28 pm

T3 is thyroid -- is "T3" what you meant to say, or did you mean something else? If your T3 is low, that needs to be treated too. How is your T4?

As for the testosterone, you can start taking 35 to 50 mg of zinc, 3 mg of copper, and DIM to help head off any problems that may arise from testosterone being converted to estrogen. Injections are the way to go, BTW.

If you can post your total testosterone level and the dosage you will be taking, we can advise if the doctor's recommendation is in the ball park.
Everything you ever wanted in life is just outside your comfort zone (Jamie Lee Curtis)

Unfulfilled
Hammock
Date of your marriage (past or future): September 5th, 1989

Postby Unfulfilled » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:44 am

If you did mean thyroid

If you post or give me a PM with your free T4 and free T3 levels and rhe reference ranges I will be able to give hou some thoughts on thyroid levels. BTW if the T3 was total T3 it is nice but far LESS valuable than “Free T3” levels. At the cellular level you body ONLY uses free T3.

teebone
Date of your marriage (past or future): April 10th, 1990

Postby teebone » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:36 am

ledgemoor wrote:T3 is thyroid -- is "T3" what you meant to say, or did you mean something else?

No I meant total testosterone not thyroid. Sorry. Thanks for the replies.

Return to “Male Testosterone Issues”