Estradiol levels

Low testosterone issues, impacts on health & marriage, treatments, etc.
RedMan
Twin size
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 21st, 1981

Estradiol levels

Postby RedMan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:54 pm

I started TRT in Dec 2016. My Total T = 170; my Free T = 4; Estradiol = 32. Doctor put me on cream. After 6 months my results were as follows: Total T = 248; Free T = 5.7; and Estradiol = 33.4. Then my doc put be on Test Cypionate injection of 200mg every 2 weeks. Had blood drawn week of Christmas and just got results back last week. Total T = 676; Free T = 18.1 and Estradiol = 47.4. Now my doctor has upped my Test Cypionate to 150mg each week. However, she(my doctor) also prescribed Anastrozole 1/2 mg per week to bring down my estradiol. She also wants me to take DIM. I’m already taking 60mg of zinc each day. I’m just a bit concerned about the Anastrozole. Anybody have any thought?

OldMarriedLady
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 7th, 1983

Re: Estradiol levels

Postby OldMarriedLady » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:59 pm

DH has been on anastrozole (1.5mg/week) for the past 7 years with no problems. It keeps his estradiol at appropriate levels. He is on 200mg of test cyp weekly.
"When you love them, they drive you crazy - because they know they can."
(From the 1987 movie "Moonstruck", written by John Patrick Shanley)

RedMan
Twin size

Postby RedMan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:12 pm

Thanks OML.

That’s good to know. I have developed a cough since I took the fist dose. Hoping that goes away. Also, I had hot flashes in church this morning. Not sure if it was the drug or the Lord. Haha.

SquarePants
Hammock
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 10th, 2005

Postby SquarePants » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:15 pm

I had hot flashes when my estradiol was high. I suspect that’s what you are feeling. Everyone’s sensitivity to Anastrozole is different. 0.5 mg per week is too much For me. I take only 0.175 per week in divided doses. I’m not sure why your doctor wants you on DIM if you are on Anastrozole.

I’m concerned anytime I hear of a doctor prescribing testosterone with doses given every two weeks. Weekly should be the minimum frequency. Make sure that you get follow up lab work in a few weeks to check estradiol levels to make sure that you are on the correct dose of Anastrozole. You might consider breaking the pill up into 2 or 4 pieces to divide the dose throughout the week. The half-life is much shorter than a week. Symptoms of low estradiol include inability to orgasm and popping joints. I’m glad that you are now on weekly shots

OldMarriedLady
Under the stars

Postby OldMarriedLady » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:41 pm

SquarePants wrote:I’m concerned anytime I hear of a doctor prescribing testosterone with doses given every two weeks. Weekly should be the minimum frequency.

When I say DH is taking 200mg a week, I mean he is taking 100mg twice a week. I agree that one shot every two weeks is not optimal. Too many peaks and troughs that way.

DH takes his anastrozole along with his T injections; .5mg with his Tuesday shot and 1.0mg with his Friday shot. Occasionally his doctor will drop him to 1 mg/week (.5 with each shot) if his estradiol levels warrant it. I can't say enough good things about his doctor (BodyLogic MD) - he's extremely diligent about all aspects of DH's care. DH sees him every 3 months with a complete lab workup each time and an in-depth consultation.

RedMan
Twin size

Postby RedMan » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:31 am

Thanks for the feedback. I have decided that I will cut the pill into 1/4. Doc is ok with that. So I will take 1/4 pill 2x per week. Hopefully, that will solve the side effects. Also doc is ok with me taking 100mg of test every 5 days. Will that help? I wonder.

My doc really likes supplements over prescriptions, so that’s why the DIM was added to the many other supplements I take. Do you think the DIM negatively interacts with the Anastrozole?

Sometimes, I get overwhelmed with all this tinkering. Oh to be young again. I mean it though. I am overwhelmed and trying not to be discouraged.

OldMarriedLady
Under the stars

Postby OldMarriedLady » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:47 pm

DH and I have no experience with DIM, we've never taken it.

RedMan wrote:Sometimes, I get overwhelmed with all this tinkering. Oh to be young again. I mean it though. I am overwhelmed and trying not to be discouraged.

Yes, DH goes through phases where he gets frustrated with the endless pile of medications he has to take and the urine and blood samples he has to provide every 3 months for testing, but at the end of the day he is glad he feels so well now.

ledgemoor
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 3rd, 1982

Postby ledgemoor » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:33 pm

DW and I have both been taking DIM ever since we have been on bhrt. About 7 years.

It is not an aromataise inhibitor, so it should not interfere with Arimidex. It improves the metabolism of estrogen.

If you are still injecting every two weeks, the best thing you can do for yourself is to inject weekly or even twice weekly.
Everything you ever wanted in life is just outside your comfort zone (Jamie Lee Curtis)

SquarePants
Hammock
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 10th, 2005

Postby SquarePants » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:43 pm

OML, I was referring to Redman’s original post when I commented about doses every two weeks. Or maybe I misunderstood your post.

Redman, it’s all worth it when you start to feel good again, and also realize that it’s good for both your body and your mind.

For more information, there is a book written by a hormone doctor named John Crisler. I highly recommend it if you’d like information about hormone treatments and the lab work.

Also, if you don’t already, keep track of when in your cycle you get your lab work. If you take your shots on Wednesday, your testosterone levels will diifer quite a bit depending on whether your labs are Tuesday or Thursday.

ledgemoor
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 3rd, 1982

Postby ledgemoor » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:43 pm

Both of my doctors want the testosterone readings the morning before your shot. Before the shot to get a better picture of where you are at worst-case.

I asked the doctor why mornings. That's when levels are the highest, but most people have sex in the evening. It seems to me that a morning reading would be artificially high. He said that is true. However, morning readings are more consistent than evening readings. He is more interested in the change in levels than your actual reading.
Everything you ever wanted in life is just outside your comfort zone (Jamie Lee Curtis)

RedMan
Twin size

Postby RedMan » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:02 pm

I want to make it clear that I am injecting weekly. That is on Saturday. My blood was drawn on Friday morning. My doctor ordered it that way.

She just upped my dose to 150mg per week from 100mg. However, she did say that if I want to do 100mg every 5 days that would be ok. She is leaving that up to me.

Also, SP, yes I have that book and have read it. 9am doing a lot of research and my doctor is very pleased with the fact that I’m educating myself and she is willing to work with me. It’s interesting because her husband is on TRT and she is actually, in that sense, going through this adventure too.

Again, just feeling overwhelmed. But, getting ready to head south to Texas to see our new granddaughter born just before Christmas. So, maybe I’m just experiencing stress as I leave the family business with my son (partner) for 4 weeks. Hopefully, as soon as we leave I will de-stress and I’ll feel more energy and ...

So again, do you all think that the every 5 days (100mg) is better than once per week (150mg)? I’m thinking the lower dose more often will slow down the conversion. Thoughts?

be64
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): March 25th, 1988

Postby be64 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:19 pm

For information purposes I’ll say that 200mg testosterone cypionate per week is pretty much the maximum dose. Many do well on 100mg per week. I started at 200mg per week but my total testosterone level got into the neighborhood of 1400. The more frequent the dose the more stable the hormone levels and the less problem with estradiol and hematocrit.

I posted this in another thread but I’ll post it here as well.

I’m not suggesting anyone should use my protocol but just to give an idea of what a hormone replacement regimen can look like I inject .08 ml testosterone cypionate sub cuteneously every morning. I also inject 125IU HCG every morning SQ. I use a 5/16” 31g .5ml insulin syringe. I take a varying dose of anastrozole but it is generally .25mg once per week.

This results in a stable testosterone level in the upper fourth of the range, an optimal estradiol level and the best sex of my life. I give blood one to two times per year to lower my hematocrit level.

The hardest part is getting my estradiol level right. I dose arimidex by symptoms but still don’t get it right all the time. When my estradiol is too high I have difficulty reaching orgasm but if it’s too low I get achy muscles and joints.
The secret to having everything is believing you already do!

Return to “Male Testosterone Issues”