Question for ladies getting Testosterone replacement

Can't orgasm, pain during intercourse, etc.
Nvr2Late
On the floor
Date of your marriage (past or future): February 9th, 2013

Question for ladies getting Testosterone replacement

Postby Nvr2Late » Sun May 18, 2014 12:39 pm

I'm wondering just how much is mental and how much is physical (meaning hormone driven) and whether we can tilt the balance a bit more in favor of more consistent O's?

I often seem to struggle with reaching O. It's sometimes just so much work :oops: Not always, but enough that it bothers me. I'm thinking of the past when I was on bio-identical T pellets and the dosage was fairly high. The way they worked, they peaked at about 2-3 weeks after and then began a slow descent of T-level until they wore off. I must say, the peak times were amazing and I could reach orgasm consistently and fairly quickly. In fact I used to joke that I finally understood what 16 yr old boys experience.

I now receive a compounded T cream which I self-dose. As far as I can tell, I am taking about 10-20 mg of compounded T daily. Perhaps I haven't found the optimum dose for me yet, but I also don't want to grow a mustache and get acne, LOL!

Anyway, I wonder if some of you ladies would share your dosages and experiences as regards your libido? I know we're individuals, but maybe some discussion will help me get some perspective.

OldMarriedLady
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 7th, 1983

Re: Question for ladies getting Testosterone replacement

Postby OldMarriedLady » Sun May 18, 2014 6:13 pm

I'm only on 8 mg a day, and have never had a dosage higher than that. There was a period about a year ago where he told me to cut the dose in half, but that was because my blood test came back with a T level of 192 (normal range for women being 6 - 82) and I was having symptoms of too high T (severe acne, irritability/aggressiveness, libido off the charts). My libido plummeted after cutting the dose though, so I went back up to the 8 mg a few weeks later. I haven't had an episode like that since, and my blood test this past February came back with a T level of 80.

I still get acne from time to time but it's only one or two blemishes and sometimes on my scalp and not my face. I haven't had any of the other side effects of too much testosterone - no excessive body or facial hair, no deepened voice, etc. My clitoris did enlarge a little bit at first, but stopped growing pretty quickly and has stayed the same size now for the past few years. I think in my case, my libido is more mentally than physically driven, since my T level is steady and yet my sexual desire has peaks and valleys. My ability to orgasm though is pretty steady - it's only when I'm physically or mentally exhausted or stressed that I have trouble, and that's also when I'm less likely to want sex. I mentioned in a different thread that it usually only takes me about 90 seconds to have an orgasm through manual stimulation, so my parts are all quite responsive. It's the getting aroused part that can take much longer or sometimes not happen at all. I do remember the orgasms being much more intense though when I had that ridiculously high T level.
"When you love them, they drive you crazy - because they know they can."
(From the 1987 movie "Moonstruck", written by John Patrick Shanley)

Nvr2Late
On the floor

Postby Nvr2Late » Mon May 19, 2014 8:08 pm

Thanks for your thoughts, OML. I hoped you'd chime in :D

I wonder too, if it's really more mental than physical. At least, when you can have sex as often as you want, anyway. This is a relatively new dynamic for me...and of course we ain't getting any younger, either! I've been totally menopausal due to a total hysterectomy in 2001 - no ovaries, no nuttin' - not even pharmaceutical hormone replacement because of my cancers.

Another thing is, and I'm not sure if this affects libido but I suspect it might: now that I've been taking a compounded progesterone cream at night (about 3 months) I think I'm more balanced than I was with the T-pellets. And thank goodness no more of that *white knuckle can't think straight* libido. That was just too much and too distracting. I seem to be happiest on the 20mg per day - but when they tested me in Feb, I was flatlining on almost all hormone levels a human can have, so I guess I'm still rebuilding my levels. I've been told the creams aren't a real quick fix and can take up to 2-3 months of daily use to get you normalized.

I think I saw where you said you could O in about 90 seconds...wow :wink: You go, girl! I don't think I can make it most times in less than 20 minutes. (This has caused some mismatched timing between DH and I that I've addressed in another thread). Anyway, I'm starting to think I've got a mental block or something :(

OldMarriedLady
Under the stars

Postby OldMarriedLady » Tue May 20, 2014 9:16 am

Nvr2Late wrote: now that I've been taking a compounded progesterone cream at night (about 3 months) I think I'm more balanced than I was with the T-pellets.

I take a variety of hormones too - estriol/estradiol along with my T in the morning, and progesterone at night. I'm also on a thyroid tablet for my T3 which seems to help.

Nvr2Late wrote:And thank goodness no more of that *white knuckle can't think straight* libido.

I remember going through that when I first started on the T replacement. Oddly enough though, I had an even worse period of insane libido when I had my awakening back in 2009, and I wasn't on anything except Premarin back then. I wonder if it was some kind of surge of my own testosterone that flared up or something. It was like I was obsessed with sex and I was pestering DH constantly and talking about it all the time. (You can tell by my early posts here :oops: - I was a little too "free-spirited".)

Nvr2Late wrote:I've been told the creams aren't a real quick fix and can take up to 2-3 months of daily use to get you normalized.

I don't know - I started feeling a definite increase in my libido about 2 weeks after starting the T cream. Maybe it was the placebo effect?

Nvr2Late wrote:I think I saw where you said you could O in about 90 seconds...wow :wink: You go, girl!

Well, obviously that's not from a "cold start". I need about 10 or 15 minutes to get aroused enough to try for the orgasm, and it needs to be 10 minutes of pretty aggressive stimulation (oral, manual, PIV etc), not just light caresses and "romancing". :mrgreen:

Nvr2Late wrote:I'm starting to think I've got a mental block or something :(

That's quite possible. Even with all my hormones balanced and good physical health, there's a lot of psychological stuff to muddle through to enjoy sex to the fullest. I have trouble "getting out of my head" pretty often.

Nvr2Late
On the floor

Postby Nvr2Late » Tue May 20, 2014 10:17 am

Again I'm reminded that our largest sex organ is the brain.

I suppose there's something to be said for being married a little over a year, too. There are variables here that all play a part in possible performance anxiety now that I think about it. There's our age for starters. And DH has "size issues" which we have hopefully mostly overcome but they do play into it. He also has ED and PE - although honestly I think we are retraining him to last longer so the PE isn't quite the issue it was at first. Still, my trying to orgasm before he does plays a part. I do not stay as aroused when he is soft. There's something about getting to play with his erection that keeps my engines humming :D

I think I feel a little guilty or inadequate that I can't just lay there and accept his ministrations without being aware of his arousal. This could be a hangup on my part.

Nvr2Late wrote:I think I saw where you said you could O in about 90 seconds...wow :wink: You go, girl!

Well, obviously that's not from a "cold start". I need about 10 or 15 minutes to get aroused enough to try for the orgasm, and it needs to be 10 minutes of pretty aggressive stimulation (oral, manual, PIV etc), not just light caresses and "romancing". :mrgreen:

Good point!
I downloaded a Kindle book last night and found some interesting stuff in it about spending a long time in foreplay and how important it is for a man to spend time caressing the woman's entire body rather than just diving into the obvious Hot Spots and going at it. I admit, we have been allowing that to happen more than it should. So I'll continue to read this little book and then share with DH, because it may contain some of the answers for what I'm experiencing.

I think I'm realizing, too, that T replacement fuels the libido, sure... but there are some other factors about the entire act of lovemaking that might get swept aside in the rush of the hormonal drive. Since we're both getting supplemental T, there IS definitely a Jack Rabbit On a Date feel to some of our lovemaking. I think that needs to be gone :lol:

bballs
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): January 5th, 1996

Postby bballs » Tue May 20, 2014 2:45 pm

I am not a woman, but I can tell you a few things that might help based on my years of studying both male and female hormones.

My wife once tried testosterone injections, but had to stop them for some unrelated reasons. She may try the cream in the future but is trying some herbals...

But...T injections gave her a much higher lift to both T and Estrogen than expected. I would say she would O in less than 2 minutes. It got to the point I remember one time she snapped at me for trying to give her any foreplay...lol. However, outside of us having sex she didn't think of it much. She said early in the morning she would have some "tingling" and have some arousing thoughts. To get to the point...

My wife, along with others we know, experience more of "thinking" about sex when being aware of engorgement. She would get serious clitoral engorgement during sex much like a man getting an erection. I have concluded that for many women that are LD that the brain slowly rewires this "chicken - egg" thing where physical drives mental or vice-versa. She did start to experience some mental creating physical before she got off, but her personality had a long way before she put that much of a priority on sex. She many times said she would forget any fleeting thoughts she might have about sex during the day.

Testosterone is what creates this engorgement. T and E and the ratio between them create the sensitivity. Performance anxiety can kill the sensitivity just like a male with ED.

OldMarriedLady
Under the stars

Postby OldMarriedLady » Tue May 20, 2014 2:54 pm

Nvr2Late wrote: I do not stay as aroused when he is soft. There's something about getting to play with his erection that keeps my engines humming :D ........I think I feel a little guilty or inadequate that I can't just lay there and accept his ministrations without being aware of his arousal. This could be a hangup on my part.

Yeah, I'm guilty of that too. It's like I can't get excited if he's not excited. I've never said anything to him about it and I'm working on trying to separate my arousal process from his. Obviously I can get aroused without him even being there (when solo MB'ing), so it is possible. (Of course those times I'm thinking about his erection. :mrgreen: )

Nvr2Late
On the floor

Postby Nvr2Late » Wed May 21, 2014 3:25 pm

My wife, along with others we know, experience more of "thinking" about sex when being aware of engorgement. She would get serious clitoral engorgement during sex much like a man getting an erection. I have concluded that for many women that are LD that the brain slowly rewires this "chicken - egg" thing where physical drives mental or vice-versa. She did start to experience some mental creating physical before she got off, but her personality had a long way before she put that much of a priority on sex. She many times said she would forget any fleeting thoughts she might have about sex during the day.

Testosterone is what creates this engorgement. T and E and the ratio between them create the sensitivity. Performance anxiety can kill the sensitivity just like a male with ED.

The clitoral engorgement at a reasonable level is ok with me. I appreciated the slight increase in size as it makes it easier to stimulate. My estrogen levels were also way too low, so hopefully that's improving as well.

I was never LD really...but I think if I weren't getting herbal and hormonal assistance, that would be a different story right now. As it is, I do think of sex a lot! But as a younger woman, I did, so what I'm striving for is a restoration of how I felt when I was say, in my 30's.

pnbb
California King
Date of your marriage (past or future): February 19th, 1995

Postby pnbb » Wed May 21, 2014 5:23 pm

I'm curious to know what kind of herbal supplements you're taking.
HE>i

Nvr2Late
On the floor

Postby Nvr2Late » Thu May 22, 2014 5:27 am

I have taken Vira-Max for Women in the past, and it definitely had a good effect for me - but was concerned it might be raising my blood pressure. So I researched the individual components and came up with 4 of them that are not noted in the medical literature to raise BP: Catuaba, Maca, Damiana, and Mucuna Puirens.

Return to “Female Orgasm Difficulties”