PSA testing

Erectile disfunction, premature ejaculation, delayed orgasm, etc.
be64
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): March 25th, 1988

Re: PSA testing

Postby be64 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:43 pm

The danger of testing PSA is that if it is elevated then the doctor might order biopsy. When this happens cancer might be found. The problem is that the cancer may have never gotten to the point of concern if it had never been found but once found, men often have their prostate removed with all the problems that accompany that. All unnecessarily. Incetwinlynwouldnt recommend jumping quickly to biopsy. I'd want to see several unexplained high PSAs before moving toward biopsy.

My doctor checks my PSA annually. In my early forties it was in the 0.4-0.6 range. Now in my early fifties it's in the 0.7-0.9 range. Only twice has it been over 1. It was 1.2 once and 2.5 once. Each attributable to recent bouts of prostatitis. This month it was 0.74
I know a low PSA does not guarantee there is no cancer but nevertheless it makes me feel good that in over seven years of TRT with my testosterone level kept in the very top of the range my PSA has not gone up.
The secret to having everything is believing you already do!

OldMarriedLady
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 7th, 1983

Postby OldMarriedLady » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:51 pm

"When you love them, they drive you crazy - because they know they can."
(From the 1987 movie "Moonstruck", written by John Patrick Shanley)

PacNorWestGuy
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 13th, 1981

Postby PacNorWestGuy » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:24 am

OldMarriedLady wrote: He said almost every couple in their 50's and older that he sees in his practice have stopped having sex except maybe as a birthday/anniversary thing.

Did he offer this useless piece of information as some kind of recommendation or maybe commiseration? smh. While I have a few 50-something male friends who have post-menopausal wives that believe sex isn't important anymore. None of my friends share that belief. It has unfortunately become a major area of conflict in their marriages. However, my pastor and his wife, who are both in their 60's, certainly do not adhere to this line of thinking. Both of them have stated that they will permanently stop having sex in this life just prior to entering the next (since God will have something much more glorious for us to share in eternity). While they admit that they don't make love as often as they did in the past, they still renew their marital intimacy at least once a week or so and highly advocate the same for their parishioners.

As far as the PSA score thing goes, it is now much more accepted that Velocity and not the absolute score is more indicative of potential issues. The emphasis is on "potential" issues. My father died from prostate cancer, which evidently makes me 3 times more likely to be diagnosed with the cancer. Since I turned 50 I have had my PSA evaluated every 6 - 12 months. My father's PSA score was 3.5 when he was diagnosed with cancer. The only reason he went in to get checked was that he (and my mom) were alarmed to notice blood in his ejaculate (that was an interesting conversation for a guy to have with his mom... :oops: ) . My scores have been consistently between 1.5 and 3.0 for the past five years. However, a few months ago my test came back at 6.1. That was very alarming and my primary doctor scheduled me for an immediate followup with an urologist. I was quite surprised to be greeted by a woman urologist (there are lots of men gynecologists, but...). At first I was a bit shaken by a woman urologist (blame it on my age), but she was awesome! She explained everything and was very attuned to how this high score may be affecting me emotionally. She noted my family history and did a digital rectal exam, or DRE (God bless a woman with small hands :oops: ). She found nothing of note and ordered a follow-up PSA and biopsy. The PSA came back at 2.6, well within my historical norms, so she cancelled the biopsy and placed me on a surveillance plan where my PSA will be monitored every three months. Of note is that a DRE can only find lumps on about 40% of the prostate. My father never showed any physical symptoms with his DREs. His cancer was on the urethra side (inside) of the prostate and it was very aggressive. People can cast aspersions on the PSA, but together with regular DRE screenings about 60% of prostate cancer can be detected. Yes, the PSA can give false positives. So can the airport metal detectors. Both trigger additional screenings, which although inconvenient and perhaps intrusive, lead to a much higher percentage of detection of "bad stuff".

PacNorWestGuy
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 13th, 1981

Postby PacNorWestGuy » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:49 am

be64 wrote:The problem is that the cancer may have never gotten to the point of concern if it had never been found but once found, men often have their prostate removed with all the problems that accompany that. All unnecessarily.

Totally agree! The simple fact of the matter is that a majority of men over the age of 60 (I have heard as much as 66%) have some form of prostate cancer. If diagnosed with some form of prostate cancer at 60+ I would definitely evaluate if patience or treatment was the best option. Treatment may be more destructive than a slow growing cancer. However, if like my father, an aggressive cancer is found, treatment may add several years to your life.

On a completely non-random side note, modern research has found that men who ejaculate more are about 30% less likely to be diagnosed with prostate cancer. Scientists at Harvard medical center found that men who ejaculated 21 or more times a month enjoyed a 33% lower risk of prostate cancer compared with men who reported four to seven ejaculations a month throughout their lifetimes... So if your DW is really interested in keeping you around... :D :lol:

be64
King bed

Postby be64 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:51 am

The part about your doctor saying that couples in their fifties not having sex anymore reminds me that my sister had a complete hysterectomy at about age forty for medical necessity. Afterword she lost her sex drive because of no testosterone production. Her doctor, an older man, told her that at her age she didn't need to have sex anymore. Needless to say she found a new doctor.

I've been in my fifties for almost three years now and my wife and I have had sex hundreds of times in those three years so I see no reason to just giving up sex because of age or medical issues. Sex is important enough to find issues and solve problems in order to keep it coming.

As far as blood in semen, that in itself should not cause too much alarm. Most of the time it's just due to a broken capillary somewhere in the prostate or seminal vesicles. I've had this happen a few times.

OldBear
King bed

Postby OldBear » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:14 am

be64 wrote:On a completely non-random side note, modern research has found that men who ejaculate more are about 30% less likely to be diagnosed with prostate cancer. Scientists at Harvard medical center found that men who ejaculated 21 or more times a month enjoyed a 33% lower risk of prostate cancer compared with men who reported four to seven ejaculations a month throughout their lifetimes... So if your DW is really interested in keeping you around... :D :lol:

My urologist - a well regarded Christian doc - told me that I needed to ejaculate 2 to 3 times per week for prostate health reasons. Mrs. Oldbear has wonderfully embraced (pun intended) this fact and need - she is very generous and willing to make it happen for US.

OML, hooray for you and your DH. ::clap

be64
King bed

Postby be64 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:40 am

I'm hoping 16 ejaculations per month will be sufficient.

Something else which is supposed to be good for prostate health is prostate massage and self prostate massage with a device like the Aneros. Prostate massage helps to eliminate prostate congestion and increases blood circulation to the prostate.

Oklahoma
Hammock
Date of your marriage (past or future): March 3rd, 1976

Postby Oklahoma » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:19 pm

OldBear wrote:My urologist - a well regarded Christian doc - told me that I needed to ejaculate 2 to 3 times per week for prostate health reasons.

My Doc told me the same thing!
I thought my DW was going to wear my thing down to a nub! Still do! I never know where she may 'assault' me! :)
(Not that I was complaining!)

Cheers to OML!

be64
King bed

Postby be64 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:30 pm

Many years ago I was having a lot of problems with prostatitis. My wife was with me when the urologist said more sex would help. My wife listened and obliged.

Return to “Male Orgasm Difficulties/Erectile Dysfunction”