Article: The Still-Misunderstood Shape of the Clitoris

What science can tell us about sex.
journeying
Date of your marriage (past or future): October 27th, 2013

Article: The Still-Misunderstood Shape of the Clitoris

Postby journeying » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:11 am

I'm not sure which section this fits the best, but below is an interesting article about the clitoris and how there's now a free 3-D printable of its shape. I was surprised that it's 10 centimeters long!

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... is/518991/

Although there are still many unanswered questions, I think it's healthy and helpful to have a more accurate understanding of our anatomy.

Paul B
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.
Date of your marriage (past or future): January 27th, 1985
Location: The Inland Empire - north of Spokane, south of Canada

Re: Article: The Still-Misunderstood Shape of the Clitoris

Postby Paul B » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:46 pm

I've been watching this over the last decade or so as a better picture has emerged.

In some ways, I find the choice of language problematic. From a biologic standpoint, it's valid to call the whole thing the clitoris. From a public understanding, it's maybe a bad choice. Not that I have a better idea.

BTW, many "misunderstand" the shape of the penis too. There is almost as much of it inside the body as there is outside. Not nearly as much of it is hidden as with the clitoris, but there is still plenty we can't see.
Paul
Marriage and Sex Educator ~ My passion is better marriages and better married sex lives.

The Generous Husband
The XY Code - Attempting to explain men to women.
Follow me on Twitter @themarriagebed

workerbee
Double
Date of your marriage (past or future): July 27th, 1995

Postby workerbee » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:09 pm

I'm an RN and graduated in 1992 & always felt that I understood human anatomy well enough. I saw this article here on TMB a few months ago and was blown away! I have since shared this with co-workers and they call me Dr Ruth LoL! TMB has helped my DH and I in SO many ways and as a Christian couple I am grateful. And as a RN I am grateful for the information I may have otherwise never come across.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:33 pm

workerbee wrote:I'm an RN and graduated in 1992 & always felt that I understood human anatomy well enough.

Quality research into human sexuality is so new that 25 years ago is an eternity! So much of what early research found was wrong - or at least the conclusions were wrong.

One example is the belief that sexual arousal causes a woman's uterus to double in size. This conclusion came from palpitating women before and after arousal. But palpitation is more of less 2 dimensions. When we had the ability to do internal scans it was found the uterus does not significantly change size, but it does pull up into the body. Pulling up and enlarging would feel the same via palpitation, so the enlarges guess was not horrible, just not right.
Paul
Marriage and Sex Educator ~ My passion is better marriages and better married sex lives.

The Generous Husband

journeying
Date of your marriage (past or future): October 27th, 2013

Postby journeying » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:16 am

Paul B wrote:In some ways, I find the choice of language problematic. From a biologic standpoint, it's valid to call the whole thing the clitoris. From a public understanding, it's maybe a bad choice. Not that I have a better idea.

How do you see it as problematic?

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:50 pm

journeying wrote:How do you see it as problematic?

I think it does more to confuse than to educate. It's telling people what they thought was wrong, as opposed to incomplete. It also makes talking about it difficult, because what we once thought of as the clitoris is now the glans of the clitoris.

Early on I saw mentions of the "clitoral complex" with the glans still being called the clitoris. I wish that had taken. But then again it does sound kind of like the male version of penis envy. :roll:
Paul

The Generous Husband

Return to “The Science of Sex”