Report: Helpful men get more sex than jerky guys

What science can tell us about sex.
jokerman
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 15th, 1987

Postby jokerman » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:57 pm

Well, that headline is not exactly on point, but this new study directly contradicts the other recent study (the one which counter-intuitively suggested that helpful men end up with less sex than less-helpful guys). http://www.salon.com/2014/07/31/your_tu ... socialflow

Deelmo
Blanket on a secluded beach!
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 8th, 1979

Re: Report: Helpful men get more sex than jerky guys

Postby Deelmo » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:53 pm

I know doing more gets me more :D
On a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being the least, 10 being the greatest) are you normal? I am a 1. And who's scale am I using? My wife's, of course!

C_Brown
Fell out of ...
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 17th, 1984

Postby C_Brown » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:57 am

Perhaps it is men who get more sex are more willing to be helpful.
So yes, I know that love is unconditional. But I also know that it can be unpredictable, unexpected, uncontrollable, unbearable and strangely easy to mistake for loathing -- Yvaine (in the movie Stardust)

Bear
California King
Date of your marriage (past or future): September 26th, 1987

Postby Bear » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:30 am

Ya just never know with 'studies' do ya?

Heard the other day: "Statistics are like bikinis... What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital."
The same women who are ready to defend their men through thick and thin are...lucid about...the thickness of his head.
Love is not blind; that is the last thing it is. Love is bound; and the more it is bound the less it is blind.
-GK Chesterton

sd595
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): January 5th, 1996

Postby sd595 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:13 am

While I am very much against the idea of earned sex when it is something a spouse is due, I am sure it is true that when spouses do what God tells them to do in scripture (which is going to result in being helpful), that things go much better between them resulting in not only a higher quantity of sex, but more importantly much more intimate and meaningful sex, the kind of sex that brings them together as God desires.
Get out your bible and see what He says. Pray to Him right now and ask Him for His wisdom in the matter. He will not fail you if you put your faith and trust in Him.

landschooner
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 17th, 1991

Postby landschooner » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:22 am

I listened to a Dennis Prager Male/Female hour that touched on this subject. The idea was that women tended to be more attracted to "bad guys" than they were to "nice guys". I've actually seen some of this in my wife's friends and their dating relationships. They seemed to pass over the 'super nice" and date some jerks. Prager made the point that it seems that some women seem to confuse bad behavior for masculinity and/or strength. The study he cited reported that some women saw overt helpfulness as less dominant and even "lame" (I think that was the word)

So anyway, the lesson seemed to be for nice guys that they should still be nice of course but that they should still appear strong/masculine AND nice. That seemed to be the best combo.

I believe in the end, that helpful men "get more", but that is if they get the girl at all.

I've always felt that part of my own sense of masculinity was not really caring how I was perceived by men or women, except from a christian perspective. I care about my witness of course, but with respect to how I come across to others.... how "masculine" as it were......if I start to care, then I try to tell myself "Who cares what they think?" Of course there is a part of me that cares. Women want to be feminine generally. Guys want to be masculine. But I dont want to be swayed by the wind. I learned to be a man by my Dad, and also my three older brothers, and later by my Lord. Aside from them in my day to day life, I dont really care what anyone else thinks, and I'm trying to pass that on to my son.

As far as sex goes.....well I got the girl, and she has always said I was very "manly" to her, but the bedroom was pretty cold for a long time. Not sure that relates but I suppose it could. It didnt change until I got tough about it .

LS

mamame
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.

Postby mamame » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:04 pm

Bear wrote:Ya just never know with 'studies' do ya?

Heard the other day: "Statistics are like bikinis... What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital."

And the headline means more than everything

cbmike
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 7th, 2013

Postby cbmike » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:06 am

Is there a link to the actual study somewhere on this page that I'm not seeing?
There's one thing I know, and this is it.

cbmike
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 7th, 2013

Postby cbmike » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:25 am

So I did some looking online and found a brief about the study written by the people who conducted it. Bits I consider noteworthy include:
Couples who shared domestic labor had sex at least as often, and were at least as satisfied with the frequency and quality of their sex, as couples where the woman did the bulk of the housework. In fact, these egalitarian partners were ranked slightly higher in all these categories, reporting more frequent sex and greater satisfaction with the frequency and quality of that sex than conventional couples, although these differences did not reach the level of statistical significance.

The one group that did score significantly lower than both egalitarian and conventional couples? Couples where men did the bulk of the domestic labor. Apparently, completely reversing gender roles in housework was not a sexual turn-on to either the men or women involved. But such couples accounted for only a small share (less than 5 percent) of those in our sample.

So according to the first quote, their data suggest that there is no difference in the amount of sex that conventional couples have compared to more egalitarian couples. This contrasts with the other study which showed a slight (but technically significant) negative correlation between frequency of sex and men doing a specific set of chores categorized as "feminine chores". I wonder if this study also had difficulty rejecting the null due to a large standard deviation.
There's one thing I know, and this is it.

VikingJ
Hammock
Date of your marriage (past or future): July 10th, 1996

Postby VikingJ » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:46 pm

Using my own situation and others from the refused section as a reference I wonder if not a big part of the group where the husbands did a majority of the housework might not be because they are trying to "jump thru hoops" to get sex.
What's the cause and what's the effect?

Return to “The Science of Sex”