Prostate Health

What science can tell us about sex.
Job29Man
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 2nd, 1980

Prostate Health

Postby Job29Man » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:31 am

I'd like to learn more about prostate health. Can't find a good discussion about this in it's own thread. So I'm starting a thread. Specifically I'm not interested in discussions about cancer, or post cancer treatment.

What is the best way for a 50 something man to keep his prostate in good shape long into his later years?
Other than getting PSA tests, what are the signs that the prostate is not doing so good?
What is the benefit to health and to sex, of having good prostate health?
If your prostate has declined in health, how do you reverse it?
What is the significance of a diminishing force of a urination stream?

Some radio and print ads say "Take XYZ and pee like a horse again!" I know what it means but what's that all about?
Wanting to become like Job, as described in the Bible, the book of Job chapter 29. Hence the screen name.

txtwindad
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 13th, 1983

Re: Prostate Health

Postby txtwindad » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:36 am

Job29Man wrote:
Some radio and print ads say "Take XYZ and pee like a horse again!" I know what it means but what's that all about?

Snake Oil. They will sell you something to grow hair back too. Or boost your libido. They can only get away with it because there is no monitoring system in place to check up on them.
 "Baby, Baby go and fetch some water,
Pour it on me so's I don't melt.
Can't you see you've got me burnin' hotter
Than a black vinyl car seat in ..." Two Tons of Steel

Dale

Postby Dale » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:13 am

I've used saw palmetto for several years. It really helps with maintaining a strong urine stream and warding off BPH, I believe, as well.

Dale

Unfulfilled
Hammock
Date of your marriage (past or future): September 5th, 1989

Postby Unfulfilled » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:23 am

I would like to know if there is any scientific evidence related to sustained prostate health and ejaculations.

That is, are men who are regularly having sex and/or ejaculations more, less or no different in having poor prostrate health. Enlargement and /or cancer etc.

Does frequent use wear it out or strengthen the prostrate? Other muscles etc need use and worked out to have positive health where lack of use causes poor health. Is the prostrate the same?

southerngent
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 23rd, 1984

Postby southerngent » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:35 pm

Unfulfilled,

Recently saw a study that said regular ejaculation of a non masturbatory nature decreased the incidence of prostate cancer. It was a 10 to 15% reduction.

Earlier studies (in modern times, not the 1800's) had linked masturbation to increased prostate cancer. The researcher on the recent study thought there should be a "control" for men with extremely high testosterone because that is linked to high mb rates and high prostate cancer rates.

Job29Man

Postby Job29Man » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:59 pm

Dale wrote:I've used saw palmetto for several years.
That stuff grows around here like a weed. It springs up in the woods everywhere. The old locals call it "swamp cabbage" and make a meal out of the inside of it. Hmmmmm. Maybe I should try that?
Wanting to become like Job, as described in the Bible, the book of Job chapter 29. Hence the screen name.

SquarePants
California King
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 10th, 2005

Postby SquarePants » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:08 pm

There are 3 main categories of prostate problems that I am aware of: benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), prostate infections, and prostate cancer

Signs that the prostate is not doing well: pain, urinary problems (trouble completely emptying the bladder, dribbling afterwards)

I have seen multiple reports stating that frequent ejaculation is associated with reduced rates of prostate cancer. Sorry, I don’t have links, but I’m sure that they could be easily found.

A urologist told me that frequent ejaculation helps to prevent and treat infections.

Beware of Finasteride: This drug blocks the formation of DHT and is used to treat BHP and hair loss. However, according to Dr. John Crisler, there is a phenomena called “Post-Finasteride Syndrome,” where men have degraded health from Finasteride which remains after they discontinue the Finasteride. The men have “good testosterone, but all the symptoms of hypogonadism.” Apparently, some men get really messed up afterwards, and the phenomena has been implicated in some suicides.

My doctor has suggested Saw Palmetto because my DHT levels tend to be high and I have occasional mild BHP. The BHP seems to be worse when either DHT or estradiol are high. I think that knowing whether your DHT levels are high (via bloodwork) would be helpful in knowing whether those levels are a factor.

I have found that prostate massage is very effective in treating infections in treating BHP caused by inflammation due to infection. The theory is that some of the ducts get clogged which prevents some of the prostatic fluid from being released during ejaculation. The massage is supposed to help unclog those ducts. In my experience, massage (followed by ejaculation) is more effective than antibiotics. I saw one study that seemed to refute the positive effects of massage on infections, but I seem to recall problems in their methodology. I don’t have links to the study and I don’t remember the specifics.
======================================
Here are answers to the original questions:

>> What is the best way for a 50 something man to keep his prostate in good shape long into his later years?
Get DHT and E2 levels checked. If you are exhibiting symptoms, then treat it.

>> Other than getting PSA tests, what are the signs that the prostate is not doing so good?
Pain, urinary problems (trouble completely emptying the bladder, dribbling afterwards)

>> If your prostate has declined in health, how do you reverse it?
I’d suggest: frequent ejaculations, occasional prostate massage, labwork for DHT and E2, and consider Saw Palmetto if DHT is high. If testosterone and DHT is low, you probably don’t want to lower it further. Estradiol (E2) is more likely to be high if you are on testosterone therapy. If so, then increase your dose of Arimidex to lower the E2.
If infection is an issue, then prostate massage many be beneficial. It might be beneficial, regardless.

>> What is the significance of a diminishing force of a urination stream?
It’s the primary symptom BHP

>> Some radio and print ads say "Take XYZ and pee like a horse again!" I know what it means but what's that all about?
It’s probably Saw Palmetto, or some mystery blend of Saw Palmetto with other things, like zinc or other herbs. Most of the mystery blend products seem to over promise, and include things about sexual performance.

Crown of Iron
On the floor
Date of your marriage (past or future): November 2nd, 1985

Postby Crown of Iron » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:17 pm

Dale wrote:I've used saw palmetto for several years. It really helps with maintaining a strong urine stream and warding off BPH, I believe, as well.

Dale

Been taking it for over 20 years, and it is very helpful. I have added finasteride for the last 10 years or so, and it's been helpful. I remember using it for the first time, and was amazed how much easier it was to pee. Later that night, everything felt MUCH better, and at the big finish, instead of a "oh, oh, Oh, OH, OWOWOWOW", it was "oh, Oh, OH, OH-OH-OHGREATGOOGLYMOOGLYHOTDIDGETTYDANGYAHOOOOOOOooooo!"

Job29Man

Postby Job29Man » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:00 am

Crown of Iron wrote:I remember using it for the first time
"It"... do you mean the saw palmetto, or the finasteride?

Later that night, everything felt MUCH better, and at the big finish
I'm confused. "Big finish" peeing? Or big finish at sex?
Was it the palmetto or the finasteride that you credit?

El Husbandido
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 21st, 2003

Postby El Husbandido » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:03 pm

southerngent wrote:Recently saw a study that said regular ejaculation of a non masturbatory nature decreased the incidence of prostate cancer.

Not necessarily relevant to the conversation at hand, but how in the world would your prostate "know" if you were having sex or masturbating? What about if your wife gave you a hj? Which is that--sex or MB? What does oral count as? That distinction makes no sense.
"God designed marriage to make you holy, not happy." - Gary Thomas

southerngent
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 23rd, 1984

Postby southerngent » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:35 pm

Unresearched speculation was that high testosterone males are more likely to masturbate at high rates. That high testosterone level is known to increase prostate cancer risk (why the disease is frequently fatal at 50 and less so at 60 and almost never fatal at 70). That is what I meant about "control." The researches realized they did not control for testosterone levels in subjects.

So, if you are clearing the mechanism every few days that is good, but if you are so wrought up you think that you have to clear it twice a day, then that isn't good. Or so the supposition goes.

SquarePants
California King
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 10th, 2005

Postby SquarePants » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:41 pm

Frequent ejaculation, regardless of whether it's from intercourse, nocturnal emissions, or masturbation seems to reduce cancer risks. The latest study included over 29,000 men, and seems pretty robust.

Does frequent ejaculation help ward off prostate cancer?
Two relatively large studies of this question, reported in 2003 and 2004, yielded good news for sexually active men: high ejaculation frequency seemed to protect against prostate cancer.

As part of Harvard’s Health Professionals Follow-up Study, 29,342 men between the ages of 46 and 81 reported their average number of ejaculations per month in young adulthood (ages 20–29), in mid-life (ages 40–49), and in the most recent year. Ejaculations included sexual intercourse, nocturnal emissions, and masturbation.

Multiple studies have suggest that testosterone levels are not a risk factor:

Destroying the Myth About Testosterone Replacement and Prostate Cancer
Testosterone, whether occurring naturally or taken as replacement therapy, does not cause prostate cancer or spur increases in prostate-specific antigen (PSA) levels in men, according to a new meta-analysis.

The confusion about the association between testosterone and prostate cancer stems, in part, from the fact that "if you take away testosterone from men with metastatic prostate cancer, their cancer will get better for a while," said Tobias Köhler, MD, MPH, from the Southern Illinois University School of Medicine in Carbondale, who moderated the press briefing. However, androgen deprivation does not improve survival, he also pointed out.

Meta-analysis: Testosterone Is Not a Risk for Prostate Cancer, But...

Crown of Iron
On the floor

Postby Crown of Iron » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:18 pm

Job29Man wrote:"It"... do you mean the saw palmetto, or the finasteride?

Saw Palmetto.
Job29Man wrote:Was it the palmetto or the finasteride that you credit?

Big finish at sex. It almost qualified as a Super O. I don't know about you, but if I had a big yahoo after peeing, I'd be peeing all the time. Again it was Saw Palmetto. I guess I need to clarify even more; I thought I mentioned that it was after the first use of Saw Palmetto, and not later on, when I had to add finasteride to the mix.

AngloCath
Double
Date of your marriage (past or future): November 11th, 2005

Postby AngloCath » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:58 am

I read this on the train. When we pulled into Penn Station, I went into the connected Kmart and picked up a large bottle of Saw Palmetto capsules. :)

I picked up an Aneros a while ago, only used it once. I think I'm going to pull it out when DW have our baby making sesh tonight. She's a little squeamish about putting anything up yonder the rear, but now I can say "Honey, I know you want me to be healthy..." :D

Job29Man

Postby Job29Man » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:10 am

Crown of Iron wrote: it was after the first use of Saw Palmetto, and not later on, when I had to add finasteride to the mix.
So the super O was a one-off?

gymaddict
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): November 24th, 1972

Postby gymaddict » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:29 am

Crown of Iron.

Theres lots of Saw Palmetto out there in many brands and potencies. All supplement companies have gotten into the marketing fray for a piece of the action.

What is your brand of Saw Palmetto and do you take it as prescribed on the bottle or what?

Finasteride?????? That stuff has been touted anecdotally to reduce DHT and also has emasculating effects, according to some men. Has finasteride had any adverse symptomology/side effects on your libido or masculinity??

Thanks for educating us as to your experiences. I have a boggy prostate.

Crown of Iron
On the floor

Postby Crown of Iron » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:11 pm

@gymaddict, my brand of preference is GNC Saw Palmetto Formula; it seems to be the most potent, most consistent, most reliable formulation that works best for me.

And finasteride, well, it's also supposed to greatly reduce the risk of prostate cancer. However, I have noticed a considerable loss of body hair (chest, armpits, back, groin, etc); but, I have a full head of hair, which all of my mother's brothers did not have. I have not had any reduction in libido, though. Have a bit of retrograde ejaculation, but most importantly, I CAN PEE!! I can go almost immediately after whipping it out, and the stream is not too shabby, either. The only problem I've noticed recently, is that it trickles down to, well, a trickle, that I can't speed up.

@Job29Man, no, it was quite regular; I would have roll-your-eyes-back, howl-at-the-moon, shake-and-shudder type orgasms with regularity. Now, since our encounters are at best, once a week, they feel REALLY good, and the O's are stupendous.

@AngloCath, I would advise using a glycerin-free water-based lube injected in your bum, like Slippery Stuff Gel, and spread a thin layer of Vaseline on your Aneros.

Clean Sheets
King bed

Postby Clean Sheets » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:34 am

gymaddict wrote:Finasteride?????? That stuff has been touted anecdotally to reduce DHT and also has emasculating effects, according to some men. Has finasteride had any adverse symptomology/side effects on your libido or masculinity??

I actually have recent and first-hand experience with this.

I started taking this a couple of weeks ago and within about 5 days of use, I noticed that my penis was shrinking in size. LITERALLY SHRINKING. I usually use larger sized condoms during intimacy, but I would say I lost at least an inch of size... and in a flacid state it looked like my penis did when I was 9. It was INSANE. Needless to say, I'd rather keep my goods and wear a hat. lol I quit the meds and thankfully (assuming because I was not on this medication long) everything went back to normal.

Job29Man

Postby Job29Man » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:12 pm

Clean Sheets wrote: I lost at least an inch of size... and in a flacid state it looked like my penis did when I was 9.
Dude! That's like every man's worst nightmare! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Snuggle Muffin
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): January 1st, 2002

Postby Snuggle Muffin » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:41 am

COI, what's the dosage of saw palmetto you're taking?
"Rejoice in the wife of your youth... may you be forever captivated by her love!"
Prov 5.15-20
"I wanna be rich in memories not money / Our love is our inheritance, honey"
Jon Foreman, "Inheritance"

Return to “The Science of Sex”