MRI of Male and Female Brain at Orgasm

What science can tell us about sex.
Job29Man
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 2nd, 1980

MRI of Male and Female Brain at Orgasm

Postby Job29Man » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:46 am

I've been studying the human brain. Today I found this short video showing and contrasting blood flow in the male brain vs the female brain during orgasm. The blood flow of each sex is quite different from the other.

The presentation was created by the History Channel, and shows no nudity, tastefully done. Fascinating!
Wanting to become like Job, as described in the Bible, the book of Job chapter 29. Hence the screen name.

George B.
On the floor
Date of your marriage (past or future): July 20th, 1996

Re: MRI of Male and Female Brain at Orgasm

Postby George B. » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:07 am

Fascinating! Especially the difference between alertness in men and women during orgasm.
On sex: "Neither men nor women will be asked to throw away the weapon they have used victoriously. It is the beaten and the fugitives who throw away their swords. The conquerors sheathe theirs and retain them."-C.S. Lewis

beekeeper
California King
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 12th, 1981

Postby beekeeper » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:52 am

That was neat, thanks. :)

SeekingChange
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 17th, 1994

Postby SeekingChange » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:31 pm

This makes me wonder if this is also connected to why an O can be so elusive for some women, and not so much for men... if women can somehow prevent things from being able to "shut down" therefore it prevents an O?
God can change what people do, behavioral patterns that have been in play for decades. He can change what we do to cope, find comfort, survive conflict, to count. Rahab had done a same old thing for years...then she did something new.

My Story

George B.
On the floor

Postby George B. » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:56 pm

^^^ good question. I bet they're connected. Men can have an O and still be alert, so it doesn't matter as much brain-wise if they barrel ahead and have the O no matter what's going on, as they don't "disconnect." Women, on the other hand, need to be totally ready and any interruption that they need to deal with derails the entire process (though the effect of it differs from woman to woman, of course). I'm speculating here, of course.
On sex: "Neither men nor women will be asked to throw away the weapon they have used victoriously. It is the beaten and the fugitives who throw away their swords. The conquerors sheathe theirs and retain them."-C.S. Lewis

FoxluvsBunny
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 23rd, 2015

Postby FoxluvsBunny » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:38 pm

Wow thanks for sharing!!! SO interesting.
<3, Bunny
Just a Bunny learning everyday what it means to Love and Live Harmoniously with a Fox

But if you tame me then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world.~TLP

poetess
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): October 8th, 2011

Postby poetess » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:16 pm

I sent this link to my husband (I don't know if he has watched it yet) and one reason is that I wanted to discuss it with him. I suspect I am not the only woman for whom this is true, so I wanted to explain what I noticed about it: When my husband is heading into orgasm, he loves it if I talk to him. I "talk dirty" to him, tell him how hot he is, etc. Likewise, he finds it sexy when he is playing with me if I tell him how good it feels and so forth. The problem is, just like my recent recognition that when I touch myself sexually for his benefit (to turn him on when he is watching), I touch myself in ways that he likes to see, not in ways that actually feel good to me . . . when I tell him "Oh, that feels so good, honey; I love it when you do that," and so forth, I'm actually focusing on him and not on myself, and pretty much guaranteeing I won't have an orgasm. I need him to understand that it is not more "sexy" for me if I'm talking and that talking for his benefit is counterproductive to my own benefit. And this might well help him with that understanding.
Marriage--what a wonderful image of Christ's love for His bride!

Job29Man

Postby Job29Man » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:06 pm

That makes sense for my Sarah too. For her "thinking" in any way is distracting during sex. She says "don't make me think." And I'm sure hot talk adds nothing for her.

OTOH she's very willing to have me take complete control, even to the extent of "just tell me what to do. Don't ask me." So she s perfectly fine with being dominated. Then she just gets to "be" and "experience" it all.
Wanting to become like Job, as described in the Bible, the book of Job chapter 29. Hence the screen name.

seeking perspective
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): April 27th, 1991
Location: between the Northwoods and the Great Plains and the Great Lakes

Postby seeking perspective » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:35 am

SeekingChange wrote:This makes me wonder if this is also connected to why an O can be so elusive for some women, and not so much for men... if women can somehow prevent things from being able to "shut down" therefore it prevents an O?

I've been pondering this in a few ways.

First, I'd like to have known more from the program about whether the physical orgasm is the cause of the mental shutting down, or whether the mental shutting down precedes the physical orgasm. I have a hard time closing out all the open browser tabs in my mind, and it is only when I do so that I can have an orgasm. I'm also one who is distracted by sexy talk, remembering to make sounds so my husband knows I want him to continue what he's doing, and so on. I've always thought of shutting down as what allows for orgasm to happen, so I'm curious about the timing.

The other thing that struck me was that perhaps this is part of why trust is such an important thing for women. I've often seen men ask what trust has to do with anything when it comes to sex--just as I've seen many women comment on how hard it is to have sex and let go when unable to trust their husbands. I've always thought about that in terms of the physical experience of having another person inside my body--yet I've often sensed that this explanation was somehow lacking. When I was unable to trust my husband, I couldn't even let go enough for manual stimulation to work easily. Perhaps this is why all sexual pleasure feels so vulnerable for me (and, I suspect, for many women). I can't "let go" unless I can completely trust my husband to keep me safe and sound.

I've been thinking a lot about the implications of the role of trust. Much of this has to do with my own premarital sexual experiences. I've also been mulling over what happens when a woman feels pressured or manipulated by her husband (even if that is not his intent). Vulnerability becomes more difficult with each breach of trust.
You turned my wailing into dancing . . .
~Psalm 30:11
The Forgiven Wife
and Sex Chat for Christian Wives

dad75908
Twin size

Postby dad75908 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:07 am

My wife's response "Although I am your one and only, I am not the only one of my kind!"
She has to shut out everything else to have an O. Closing the browser tabs is a great analogy for her as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Job29Man

Postby Job29Man » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:30 am

This is how my Sarah describes it too. "I need to close all the open windows on my mental screen before I can relax enough to really enjoy this for myself."

So in this sense, sex begins about 3 hours before bedtime. I try to be careful not to bring up "new business" and I put the teens on notice that they need to "complete all your business with Mom by 8 pm."

Nvr2Late
On the floor
Date of your marriage (past or future): February 9th, 2013

Postby Nvr2Late » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:43 am

Fascinating! Thanks for sharing that. I completely understand the issues of trust, lack of fear, and closing all the tabs down in my brain. One of my biggest hurdles in enjoying sex are fear of how I look naked and unbidden thoughts popping into my mind (usually situational) during foreplay. Now I'll have those images in my brain to contend with next time, LOL.

seeking perspective
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): April 27th, 1991
Location: between the Northwoods and the Great Plains and the Great Lakes

Postby seeking perspective » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:37 pm

I found an interview with one of the researchers who did this study.

A couple comments stood out for me. This first one was in response to a question about treating sexual dysfunction. I wonder if sexual therapy has changed any approaches as a result of this.

The research shows that if you’re fearful and have problems with your orgasm, it is not an "and." If you are fearful, of course you have problems with your orgasm. So you have to treat the fear. And that’s very important, because it’s a totally different approach to this problem.

This second is about what the study suggests about a definition of orgasmic happiness:

The finding of this deactivation of fear, it’s not so strange, although I did not know what to expect. But you could ask yourself: "What is the feeling of happiness?" And perhaps the feeling of happiness you feel during orgasm is nothing else but the complete lack of fear.

I've been trying to find a copy of the original study to look at. If anyone knows where I can find one, let me know.
You turned my wailing into dancing . . .
~Psalm 30:11
The Forgiven Wife
and Sex Chat for Christian Wives

datepalm
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): October 18th, 1980

Postby datepalm » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:43 am

And perhaps the feeling of happiness you feel during orgasm is nothing else but the complete lack of fear.

Makes me think of 1John 4:18 - "Perfect love casts out fear."
What if God's primary intent for your marriage isn't to make you happy...but to make you holy?
--Gary Thomas (Sacred Marriage)

George B.
On the floor

Postby George B. » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:06 am

I wonder if that's the first time that verse has had that specific application!

farm
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 23rd, 1977

Postby farm » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:04 pm

I am presently writing a book called "Christian Sexuality: A Reflection of the Image of God". Who know if it will ever get published, but here is a quote:

Husbands, to help your wife fully enjoy sex it is helpful to have your wife feel contented and trusting in all areas of your relationship. Yes; sex does start with helping in the kitchen, or taking care of the kids, and so on; that is foreplay in a woman's brain. That type of foreplay gets her oxycontin (trust hormone) going, making it easier for her to shut down the amygdala of her brain, (the part of the brain that generates anxiety and fear). Shut down of the amygdala is required for our wives to orgasm.5 The words of the apostle John in another context can be applied here as well, “perfect love expels all fear”. Husbands, remember the image of God in us calls for the practice of agape (selfless, perfect) love. This type of love puts her needs, even her hormonal needs, before ours. That type of selfless love and longer attention in bed, is a husband’s marital duty to his wife. No husband can do this perfectly, but the command is to, “Be holy as I am holy”. Jesus showed his holiness through selfless love on the cross. A husband needs to be his wife's sacrificial knight, a man she can trust through thick and thin. A husband can help her by living in such a way that she knows he will always be there for her. This allows her amygdala to shut down in preparation for grand event. Also, don't pressure her to have an orgasm, the performance anxiety will awaken her amygdala. All we husbands have to do is get her ready.

5) Louann Brizendine, M.D., The Female Brain, (Broadway Books, 2006), p 77.
Learned on the farm, now practice in health care. Works well together! :D

Unfulfilled
Hammock
Date of your marriage (past or future): September 5th, 1989

Postby Unfulfilled » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:01 pm

I would say that is OK as long as there is the opposite gender balance. It is her duty as well to put his needs in front of her own.

I think it is critically important to make sure that balance is there. The HOW is different in what the husband has to do compared to the wife. However the why is the same. That love is sacrificial. It is a two way street.

I think a Christian sex book is an important need. Beyond simply the why not to have sex. By the the importance of why TO have sex. Too much effort is being spent on the purity issue of pre marital abstinence, and not enough balance as to the critical importance of sex within marriage.

But I'm preaching to the choir here I suppose!

farm
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 23rd, 1977

Postby farm » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:21 pm

You hit the nail on the head, the next paragraph in the book speaks to the wife's sacrificial love!
Learned on the farm, now practice in health care. Works well together! :D

Return to “The Science of Sex”