Study of Sexual Habits ages 57-85

What science can tell us about sex.
Job29Man
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 2nd, 1980

Study of Sexual Habits ages 57-85

Postby Job29Man » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:34 am

Here's a published study on the sexual lives of people ages 57-84.They looked at several metrics, including attitudes, desire, moral convictions, health, sexual acts, etc. Fascinating.

For women; n=1550
For men; n=1455
Wanting to become like Job, as described in the Bible, the book of Job chapter 29. Hence the screen name.

seeking perspective
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): April 27th, 1991
Location: between the Northwoods and the Great Plains and the Great Lakes

Re: Study of Sexual Habits ages 57-85

Postby seeking perspective » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:13 am

Thanks for sharing this. I love looking at research studies on sexuality. :)
You turned my wailing into dancing . . .
~Psalm 30:11
The Forgiven Wife
and Sex Chat for Christian Wives

Unfulfilled
Hammock
Date of your marriage (past or future): September 5th, 1989

Postby Unfulfilled » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:09 pm

Reading it quickly it seems that people are pretty much the way they are even as they age. Yes sexual activity declines with age which is no surprise. It it shows people who are active sexually seem to keep fairly active. It shows that thinking negative about sex remains and is far more common with women as they age. It shows that men's sex desire almost always remains higher than a woman's and that a man decline seems to have a basleline and never really gets lower. Women's however seems to decline and as they get to the oldest ages seems to continue to fall off, possibly due to the fact men died younger and the remaining women simply can't find a partner.

Basically I saw nothing that surprised me. Seems about the same "culture" as when younger except the rate of things decline. But men being more interested in sex and that desire never really going away while women are less interested and their interest continues to fall.

And that is pretty depressing when DW already has little interest now. So it appears that my worst fear is probable. That is that the realistic truth is that "this is as good as it gets" right now. And that is depressing seeing as I'm not and have never had a sex life that I would even remotely call "good". The fact that it is in all likelihood going to get worse just takes the wind out of someone.

poetess
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): October 8th, 2011

Postby poetess » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:07 pm

I noticed it did say something I have suggested in the past: that women without a sexual partner tend to feel less interest in sex, but men remain interested. In other words, for women sex is largely relationship-driven (a desire for this man), whereas for men, the desire for a relationship is often because of a need. It's one reason that widowers remarry much quicker than widows, on average (and probably more widowers than widows remarry at all--though part of that might be simply the reality that older men have far more women to choose from; an 80-year-old widower has his choice of new mates if he wants one, but an 80-year-old widow mostly is surrounded by married people and other widows, not widowers).
Marriage--what a wonderful image of Christ's love for His bride!

OldBear
King bed

Postby OldBear » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:04 pm

Most interesting survey. What's difficult to ascertain are the sexual habits of monogomous couples.

However, lots of interesting observations are possible. One that stands out is the consistency of foreplay in sexual activity - it's virtually unchanged over the years for women and men. This probably speaks to the importance of intimacy in sexual union. Mrs. Oldbear and I get it!

There are times when we approach a time of intimacy with the journey the focus - cuddling, talking, foreplay, etc. If we don't consummate the love making session with an orgasm for her or me or both of us - no big deal! As we've aged, we more often will spend time in intimate embrace, fondling, etc. short of intercourse and/or and O and say,"Wow, that was great sex!"

Return to “The Science of Sex”