The left side?

What science can tell us about sex.
poetess
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): October 8th, 2011

Re: The left side?

Postby poetess » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:09 am

I've never borne a child, though I have done a lot of child care through the years. I'm pretty sure that I carry a baby in my right arm, though.

Hmmm, yes, very interesting. I just looked up a photo of myself with a baby, from years ago, my oldest nephew. Since that was the first grandchild he got passed around, and I see my mother, myself, and one sister (who was still single) all holding the baby with the right arm, though that same sister is later photographed holding her own newborn with her left arm. The child's father (my brother) is holding him in front of himself, equally with both arms. I don't see a photo of my father with the baby, but when that child is two, Papa is holding him with his right arm. So we would seem to have done it differently, and in large families with lots of children, so it must have worked.
Marriage--what a wonderful image of Christ's love for His bride!

seeking perspective
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): April 27th, 1991
Location: between the Northwoods and the Great Plains and the Great Lakes

Postby seeking perspective » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:01 pm

My husband even carries his lunch box in his left hand. :)
You turned my wailing into dancing . . .
~Psalm 30:11
The Forgiven Wife
and Sex Chat for Christian Wives

Dcrew
Twin size
Date of your marriage (past or future): March 30th, 1996

The left side?

Postby Dcrew » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:18 pm

I'm just a weirdo according to this.
I'm right hand dominate. I carried all of my babies on my right. As well as any baby I've held. 1) I felt like it was the stronger arm. 2) It felt weird carrying on the left. I learned to do things with my left hand while holding the babies, until I bought a front pack carrier.

I respond equally on each side to touch.
I prefer my husband to my right, although he sleeps on my left currently. We change it every so often.
Yep, we're weird that way.

Mrs. Dcrew
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nova
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): November 3rd, 2012

Postby Nova » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:12 pm

I'm right-handed, so my right arm is more coordinated, but my left arm is stronger. I would naturally carry a baby on the left, because that's not a finesse task. Holding it on the left would allow me to endure longer before having to switch sides.

And I would switch sides. I'd argue that most people switch back and forth over time, because even the moderate weight of an infant is enough to fatigue an arm after a while. I suspect that the study may not have taken that into account.
Please don't think I'm being aggressive just because I use strong language. If I'm posting on your thread, it's because I care.

seeking perspective
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): April 27th, 1991
Location: between the Northwoods and the Great Plains and the Great Lakes

Postby seeking perspective » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:45 pm

Nova wrote:And I would switch sides. I'd argue that most people switch back and forth over time, because even the moderate weight of an infant is enough to fatigue an arm after a while. I suspect that the study may not have taken that into account.

When I had twins, I often had to carry them both at the same time. I carried the heavier one on the left as a sort of strength training. Plus, with the lighter on in my right arm, I could still manage to use that hand for some tasks.
You turned my wailing into dancing . . .
~Psalm 30:11
The Forgiven Wife
and Sex Chat for Christian Wives

Return to “The Science of Sex”