The left side?

What science can tell us about sex.
seeking perspective
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): April 27th, 1991
Location: between the Northwoods and the Great Plains and the Great Lakes

The left side?

Postby seeking perspective » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:05 pm

I'm fascinated by the implications of this article (caution: the article has an image of a mom in a bikini to show the effect of carrying on the left) about why most moms carry babies on the left side.

It is about recent research (available here, although I haven't yet read it) that looks at the left-side carry (which occurs in non-human species, too, but necessarily in human males).

What they say is this: touch on the left side of the body elicits a response in the right side of the brain, which is the side that interprets physical cues and emotional signals. Moms who carry on the left are better able to understand and respond to an infant's needs and emotional state.

So here's what I'm wondering: does this have implications for sexual intimacy? Does a woman who is touched on her left side have a stronger emotional connection with her husband? Will she be better tuned in to his emotional state? How can we research this? :D
You turned my wailing into dancing . . .
~Psalm 30:11
The Forgiven Wife
and Sex Chat for Christian Wives

The Twit
Blanket on a secluded beach!
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 14th, 1993

Re: The left side?

Postby The Twit » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:30 pm

And I always thought it was because the mom is right handed and wanted to keep the right hand free to do what ever operation she needed to do with her right hand - stir the soup, turn the key on the house door, write out a note, or other things someone would do while holding a young one. How simple of a thinker am I.

I do know that depending on what side of her neck I kiss my wife, she is a bit more responsive. Likewise which hand I hold and what side she snuggles up to me on on the couch does arouse her more. The more I think it may be the left side. I will have to pay more attention to this.

I do know from a man's perspective that when my wife does an HJ from my left side It is more intense and I am more sensitive than if she is on my right hand side or in front of me.

OldBear
King bed

Postby OldBear » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:37 pm

A read of the article and quick scan of the study did not address one obvious factor - dominant handedness. Could it be that a possible reason for mothers to favor the left hip is because 90% of the population is right handed? This allows a woman to use her dominant hand while carrying her child around.

seeking perspective
Under the stars

Postby seeking perspective » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:00 pm

I always assumed it was about being right-handed, too, simply on a practical level. Most cognitive function doesn't reverse depending on handedness. I would be interested to know if there was any correlation between handedness and baby carrying.

Two things give me pause, however:

1) Even most little girls hold dolls on the left side. When I was a mom, I needed my dominant (right) hand free to be able to perform tasks. However, when I was a little girl with my doll, I held her with my left arm--and that's all I did. When I was playing mommy, all I did was hold the baby. I wasn't multi-tasking. When I played house and pretended to do cooking chores, my doll was in her crib or doll seat. I remember one time when I was trying out both arms to determine which arm I should use to hold my doll. The right arm felt wrong somehow. In fact, I recall thinking how strange that was, since I was right-handed.

2) Many female mammals also put their young to the left. Although animals may have a dominant side (or not--I have no idea), non-primate animals wouldn't have a need to keep the dominant side available--and they aren't necessarily holding their young, anyway. The article mentions, for instance, reindeer--which don't exactly need to keep their right legs available for task completion.

The Twit wrote:I do know that depending on what side of her neck I kiss my wife, she is a bit more responsive. Likewise which hand I hold and what side she snuggles up to me on on the couch does arouse her more. The more I think it may be the left side. I will have to pay more attention to this.

I do know from a man's perspective that when my wife does an HJ from my left side It is more intense and I am more sensitive than if she is on my right hand side or in front of me.

Research, and report back!
The Forgiven Wife

SeekingChange
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 17th, 1994

Postby SeekingChange » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:09 pm

My thoughts went where everyone elses did....that just makes sense.

I guess it's good my husband sleeps on my left! :D
God can change what people do, behavioral patterns that have been in play for decades. He can change what we do to cope, find comfort, survive conflict, to count. Rahab had done a same old thing for years...then she did something new.

My Story

ledgemoor
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 3rd, 1982

Postby ledgemoor » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:52 pm

DW needs her left nipple suckled during sex. The right won't do it.

The right is there for my entertainment when she isn't trying to get aroused.
Everything you ever wanted in life is just outside your comfort zone (Jamie Lee Curtis)

OldBear
King bed

Postby OldBear » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:12 pm

^^^^ Same for us, with a twist. :P During early foreplay and cuddling, Mrs. Oldbear's always offers her left breast for me suckle leisurely. When she ramps up, she enjoys tweaking, pinching, pulling, and twisting of her right nipple. It's never reversed.

DW of 2P
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): November 12th, 1998

Postby DW of 2P » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:32 am

Now that's just weird. I like attention on the left side too and fairly non responsive on the right. I always thought it was me and wondered about it.

tentsofpurple
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 4th, 2004

Postby tentsofpurple » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:03 am

SeekingChange wrote:My thoughts went where everyone elses did....that just makes sense.

I guess it's good my husband sleeps on my left! :D

My husband sleeps on my left side too. And when we walk hand in hand some where (or even just next to each other) he always walks on my left, it feels weird to both of us if its reversed.

So interesting! I always thought I carried my babies on my left because I'm right handed as well apparently there is more to it! I'll have to start paying attention to weather or not touch feels better/different on the left side of my body than my right.

Elevation
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): October 5th, 2002

Postby Elevation » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:13 am

Wow...this is a fascinating insight. Unfortunately, my wife doesn't like her nipples or breasts to be foddled or suckled AT ALL. I wonder if kissing on the left side of her cheek would help? Hmm...SCIENCE!

Also, here is something also interesting...most of our pictures in where we are together, I stand on the left side of her.

Leah
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): November 3rd, 1979

Postby Leah » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:50 am

My husband sleeps to my left and he's left handed. Win-win.
Leah

“I have learned now that while those who speak about one's miseries usually hurt, those who keep silence hurt more.”--C.S. Lewis

TMB Copyright and Fair Use

The Twit
Blanket on a secluded beach!
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 14th, 1993

Postby The Twit » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:06 am

I sleep on my wife's right side if we are facing upward, but when we cuddle on the couch or else where, I prefer her to be on my right hand side or I am on her left side. So it depend on how you look at it. When facing me her left side is facing my right side, when we face the same direction she is to my right side (her left).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OldBear
King bed

Postby OldBear » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:08 am

OldBear wrote:^^^^ Same for us, with a twist. :P During early foreplay and cuddling, Mrs. Oldbear's always offers her left breast for me suckle leisurely. When she ramps up, she enjoys tweaking, pinching, pulling, and twisting of her right nipple. It's never reversed.

Duh!! :roll: I wrote thinking about it from my perspective. It's her right breast that she offers to me. Incidentally, we are both right handed, and I sleep on her right side. With this correction in our case, I'm not certain how this factors into SP's research! :D

Elevation
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): October 5th, 2002

Postby Elevation » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:45 am

I found this today during my research for trying to figure out what turns me on:

We probably listen to the sound of sports cars with both ears, but when it comes to whispering sweet somethings it might be advantageous to lovers to try to get around to one ear specifically: the left one. A study from Sam Houston University found that the left ear is better at picking up emotional words than the right. Sixty-two men and women listened to some emotional words (“loving”) and some neutral words (“combine”) read in a voice devoid of emotion, with the words presented to the left or right ear. In an abstract on MITCogNet, study authors T.C. Sim and Carolyn Martinez write, “When emotion stimuli appeared on the left ear, the accuracy of recall was higher, with a mean of 64.43% and 58.15% for the right ear. Our study shows that in the face of competing verbal information, emotional words compete more strongly when they are presented through the left ear.”

An NIH abstract on the study notes that the “findings are consistent with the role of the right hemisphere in the perception of emotional information.”

So, “I love you,” might have stronger impact whispered in the left ear. Anyone else trying to remember which side of the bed you sleep on and wondering how to sneakily switch places?

Source: What Turns You On?

Sweet Sarah
Twin size
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 8th, 1998

Postby Sweet Sarah » Wed May 31, 2017 7:25 pm

I am intrigued/amused by this. Like most others DH sleeps on my left, so during sex and I roll towards him, right breast is most accessible and for me that is where the action is! Maybe I'm wired funny!

seeking perspective
Under the stars

Postby seeking perspective » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:59 am

Elevation wrote:I found this today during my research for trying to figure out what turns me on: . . .

Source: What Turns You On?

Thanks for sharing this. I used it in a blog post about the whole left side thing.
The Forgiven Wife

TJC
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): January 31st, 1975

Postby TJC » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:32 am

Outside the bedroom, DW is usually on my right, when we are out, or sitting together, but in the bedroom, she is always on my left. Incidentally, she has commented more than once that ML is always best for her after we've spent time out and about for awhile, then come together for some afternoon delight. Maybe this plays into that?
This is my beloved and this is my friend. Song of Solomon 5:16

Job29Man
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 2nd, 1980

Postby Job29Man » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:41 am

Interesting. I have carried lots of babies over many years, always on my left hip for the "right hand free" reason.

Yeah, any study that examines "sidedness" without correlating to "handedness" is fundamentally incomplete IMHO. Our brains are "sided." Most of our organs have a sidedness. We shake with our right hands to show that we are not holding a weapon. We salute with the right hand. I tend to "wave" with the right hand. We raise the right hand to Heaven when making an oath. Even our concepts of good and bad are "sided."

Bible
The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
but the heart of the fool to the left. Ecclesiastes 10:2

God shows Christ's equality with Him by placing Him at His righteous right hand.

The latin word for "right" is dexter. (cf. dexterous, capable, fluent)
The latin word for "left" is sinister. (cf. evil, ominous)

I carry suitcases, satchels, books in the left hand. I've noticed that most men holster their smart phones on the right side of their belt. But I holster mine on the left and "cross draw" the phone so as to have rapid, unfettered right-hand access to other holstered tools on my right side.

In public, where there is any chance of danger, I just naturally position my wife to my left, where I hold her right hand with my left hand, or place my left arm around her. Leaves my right arm free to shake a hand, push a threat away or grab something quickly, draw a weapon, strike out, etc

I sleep on her right side where I can roll onto my left side and use my right hand to caress with "dexterity."

Sounds like it's that way with most of us men that we leave the dominant hand free.
Wanting to become like Job, as described in the Bible, the book of Job chapter 29. Hence the screen name.

seeking perspective
Under the stars

Postby seeking perspective » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:14 am

Job29Man wrote:Yeah, any study that examines "sidedness" without correlating to "handedness" is fundamentally incomplete IMHO. Our brains are "sided." Most of our organs have a sidedness. We shake with our right hands to show that we are not holding a weapon. We salute with the right hand. I tend to "wave" with the right hand. We raise the right hand to Heaven when making an oath. Even our concepts of good and bad are "sided."

I don't have studies at my fingertips to share, but my understanding is that handedness doesn't entirely correlate with all brain lateralization. Some brain lateralization mirrors handedness (such as the side of the brain that controls movement) is different in right-handed and left-handed people. But other brain functions are not correlated with handedness.

Sounds like it's that way with most of us, eh? We men leave the dominant hand free?

The studies I've read show different preferences in men and women, which intrigues me. My husband carried our babies in his left arm, and he said that was because he carried everything in his left, in order to keep his right hand free.
The Forgiven Wife

MayDayGirl
Hammock

Postby MayDayGirl » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:50 am

I always thought it was instinctual to carry baby on the left side as that's closer to your heart (though I guess the heart is more in the middle than the left). We still do the Pledge of Allegiance with our right hand on our heart to the left.

I sleep on the side closest to the bathroom, wherever we are. :lol:

Return to “The Science of Sex”