Pubic hair trapping fragarance

What science can tell us about sex.
ledgemoor
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 3rd, 1982

Pubic hair trapping fragarance

Postby ledgemoor » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:34 am

I have read several articles on why God gave us pubic hair. One theory is that it is to trap pheromones. Others think it is purely ornamental. Others think it is to lessen friction. But no one has done a study on it that I am aware of.

Have any of you tried it both ways (shaved and natural)? If so, did it have any effect on smell or level of arousal when putting your nose near your spouse's genitals?

Thanks!
Everything you ever wanted in life is just outside your comfort zone (Jamie Lee Curtis)

Job29Man
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 2nd, 1980

Re: Pubic hair trapping fragarance

Postby Job29Man » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:40 am

We've had DW both shaved and natural.
My nose tells me it prefers natural, for the natural scent, although I believe what you actually consciously smell is not pheromones but scent. They are different. I believe that while one actually brings in the pheromones through one's nose, one doesn't actually consciously "smell" pheromones.

I did a little internet research on this, and as far as I can see, no one has ever actually isolated and identified a human sex pheromone.

Nevertheless human males can subconsciously identify ovulating human females with uncanny accuracy. I watched on Youtube a study on this involving identical twin sisters, one was ovulating, one wasn't. They were dressed identically, no makeup, identical grooming ... came into contact with the men several times, but the men thought it was the same woman each time (unaware it was twins).

The men were hooked up to monitors that could measure male arousal (heart rate, skin temp, breathing). It was uncanny. The two different girls, believed to be one, kept returning to the room with the seated man, and when the non-ovulating sister entered there was little response. But when the ovulating sister entered it was "wow" response.

They also had the men sniff tee shirts of "two different women who wore these tee shirts sleeping last night."
Then then the men were asked "Which female do you want to meet?" (or some such question)
Bingo! It was the ovulating female every time.

Likewise with identifying photos of ovulating or non ovulating women; the ovulating women caused more arousal in the men.

Conclusions: Men can identify ovulating females through personal vision, through smell only, and through vision without any human contact (photos).
Wanting to become like Job, as described in the Bible, the book of Job chapter 29. Hence the screen name.

Lxk8
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 21st, 1975

Postby Lxk8 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:00 am

My wife & I have tried it both ways and we both greatly prefer the shaved look, feel and experience!
Larry

ledgemoor
Under the stars

Postby ledgemoor » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:10 am

...I believe what you actually consciously smell is not pheromones but scent. They are different. I believe that while one actually brings in the pheromones through one's nose, one doesn't actually consciously "smell" pheromones.
I agree. There is a definite fragrance, even when she is fresh out of the shower. But I am confident that there is something additional going on arousal-wise. The physical reaction I have (immediate erection) is too strong to be just the smell. Sometimes she can smell really nice and I don't get that much of a rise, and other times the arousal can be very strong even though the smell is not particularly noticeable.

I can smell when she is aroused. But on her neck and breasts. It never fails to arouse me. It may be association, but maybe not. Maybe some pheromones have an odor and others do not.

Did you notice any difference in arousal in shaved vs not?

I have heard of doing the T-shirt experiment with women doing the smelling. The guys the girls picked based on her appreciation of the guys smell turned out to be good genetic matches.

SO COOL about identifying ovulating women from a photo. I wonder what the difference is? Maybe the women feel sexier and that confidence shows in their face. I wonder if post-menopausal women look like they are ovulating all the time? She does seem to look permanently sexier now :lol:.
Last edited by ledgemoor on Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everything you ever wanted in life is just outside your comfort zone (Jamie Lee Curtis)

ledgemoor
Under the stars

Postby ledgemoor » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:14 am

Lxk8 wrote:My wife & I have tried it both ways and we both greatly prefer the shaved look, feel and experience!

Hi Larry.

Any difference in how she smells? Or is that what you mean by "experience" :lol:?

Job29Man
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 2nd, 1980

Postby Job29Man » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:30 am

We have several threads about preference for shaved vs natural on the Sexual Attitudes Section. This thread is in the Science of Sex forum and the OP question is about the "purpose" of pubic hair and it's relationship to pheromones and smell.

I'm going to ask that discussions about shaved vs unshaved add to or begin a new thread in Sexual Attitudes.
Wanting to become like Job, as described in the Bible, the book of Job chapter 29. Hence the screen name.

Return to “The Science of Sex”