Questions about FAM/NFP

What's available, do's and don'ts.
Princess_Bear
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): July 28th, 2007

Re: Questions about FAM/NPF

Postby Princess_Bear » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:53 am

I haven't heard of a device like that, but cervical fluid really isn't that hard to figure out with a little bit of practice! :) Have you read "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" by Toni Weschler yet?
Administrator of the "Christian Fertility Awareness Support Group" on Facebook. All women welcome!

TheHippieWife
Twin size
Date of your marriage (past or future): October 2nd, 2016

Postby TheHippieWife » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:31 am

No, I guess I will have to figure out how to get it lol

Princess_Bear
Queen bed

Postby Princess_Bear » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:24 pm

You can get it on Amazon! :D
Administrator of the "Christian Fertility Awareness Support Group" on Facebook. All women welcome!

tentsofpurple
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 4th, 2004

Re: Questions about FAM/NFP

Postby tentsofpurple » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:25 am

Look into the Lady Comp its sold on amazon or by a company called RX Medical.

Princess_Bear
Queen bed

Postby Princess_Bear » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:48 am

If you learn to chart properly (not hard!) you really don't need a Lady Comp, or any other type of fertility monitor. :)

tentsofpurple
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 4th, 2004

Postby tentsofpurple » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:04 pm

I'm sure that is true but for me it was nice to have something taken off my plate, I have a lot going on and it made my life much easier. Also TheHippieWife was asking about a device and I wanted to share my experience with it so she knew it was an option.

TheHippieWife
Twin size

Postby TheHippieWife » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:56 pm

Thank ya'll, I think I'm going to have a check up next week and I want to talk to the Dr about a FemCap, and use contragel with it. Do ya'll have experience with either of those? Also, I still want to learn how to chart, but I would love to have something natural to fall back on til I get comfortable with knowing my body.

Princess_Bear
Queen bed

Postby Princess_Bear » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:30 am

I don't have experience with FemCaps or Contragel, but there are members of my Facebook group who do. You're welcome to look for us on Facebook. The title of the group is in my signature.

TheHippieWife
Twin size

Postby TheHippieWife » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:26 pm

Princess Bear, I am not really tracking myself very avidly right now, but I have noticed something strange in the past couple days and I'm not sure if I'm about to start my period or if I ovulated.
I have an irregular period and it tends to run long. I use the kindara app for period tracking and started using it last year this month. My shortest cycle this year was 29 days long and my longest is 40, but I tend to have 32-36 day cycles. I am on day 31. My CF is really confusing to me because one day I will be dry and the next not but there doesn't seem to be any trend to it. I have just started checking my cervix and it seems softer today than before, with fluid that isn't eggwhite, but like the next wettest, yesterday night I had a small pain on my left side where I would think my ovary is, and today my CF has had old blood in it (this happens sometimes when I'm about to start) and when I checked I also had just one bit of fresh blood. I have heard that sometimes women can feel when the egg bursts from the follicle, and I've had that same feeling before. I am close to my period though, but my cervical fluid is also confusing to me. I don't know whether I'm ovulating or about to start

Princess_Bear
Queen bed

Postby Princess_Bear » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:53 pm

That's where temping would be handy. :) Unfortunately, since you're not temping, there's really no way to know for sure what is going on until you get your period. :( That being said.... temps usually drop the day your period is going to come, so there wouldn't be anything wrong with starting to temp NOW to see if you can spot that temp drop. :)

TheHippieWife
Twin size

Postby TheHippieWife » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:14 pm

I don't have a thermometer at the moment :/

TheHippieWife
Twin size

Postby TheHippieWife » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:16 pm

I tend to get a heavy feeling down there when I'm about to start, and I have that feeling now so it's probably that time

Princess_Bear
Queen bed

Postby Princess_Bear » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:51 pm

I guess all you can do is wait it out at this point. :(

TheHippieWife
Twin size

Postby TheHippieWife » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:38 pm

I got my period about 3 days after, but spotted a bit more the day before. I have been looking around and I think that I would like someone I could talk to about it all to help me figure it out, like a mentor or something, but instead of putting all of my questions out there for everyone just be able to ask that person, but I'm not sure where to look.

Princess_Bear
Queen bed

Postby Princess_Bear » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:58 pm

You're welcome to PM me any questions you might have. :)

TheHippieWife
Twin size

Postby TheHippieWife » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:00 pm

Thank you Princess Bear :) Has anyone used the Ovacue fertility monitor?

Princess_Bear
Queen bed

Postby Princess_Bear » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:12 pm

I have not. Sorry I can't help you there. :)

Snuggle Muffin
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): January 1st, 2002

Postby Snuggle Muffin » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:48 am

If I remember right, there are various "styles" within both NFP and FAM. But the core difference is: NFP [minus] Roman Catholic teaching [equals] FAM.

Meaning condoms/barriers are ok in FAM but not in NFP (because Catholicism).

So unless there are technical, methodological differences I haven't heard of, I don't know why non-Catholics would bother with NFP, because unless you're Catholic there's no added value there.
"Rejoice in the wife of your youth... may you be forever captivated by her love!"
Prov 5.15-20
"I wanna be rich in memories not money / Our love is our inheritance, honey"
Jon Foreman, "Inheritance"

Princess_Bear
Queen bed

Postby Princess_Bear » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:45 am

Snuggle Muffin wrote:So unless there are technical, methodological differences I haven't heard of, I don't know why non-Catholics would bother with NFP, because unless you're Catholic there's no added value there.

Some non-Catholics opt to abstain during fertile times rather than use a barrier if it's really crucial that they don't get pregnant. NFP was also a little ahead of the game in creating some less-conservative rules, but my understanding is that the most current edition of "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" includes some less conservative rules as well. :)

The most important thing is to not mix methods. If you want to follow NFP rules (with or without barriers), then do that. If you want to follow FAM rules (with or without barriers), do that, but don't try to mix the two.

TheHippieWife
Twin size

Postby TheHippieWife » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:59 pm

Princess Bear I'm having trouble pming you, but I am horribly confused about judging CF. The discriptions don't seem to help me and I'm always confused about how to define it

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Return to “Birth Control”