Asking for Advice on Paraguard IUD

What's available, do's and don'ts.
Pandaschatz
Double
Date of your marriage (past or future): September 7th, 2013

Asking for Advice on Paraguard IUD

Postby Pandaschatz » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:13 am

My FH and I have agreed that we want to go the non-hormonal route of birth control, but don't want the hassle of having to take a diaphram in/out all the time. We aren't planning on having children for 3-4 years so I can get my masters. So, we've decided I'll get an IUD. I love what I've read about Paraguard so far, but I've also heard that the insertion can be extremely painful. One of my friends knew of people who compared it to going into labor. I've never been to a gyno before, so I guess I'm just wondering what others experiences have been like? My mom died when I was little, so I don't have a trusted older woman I can ask. Also, did anyone else have a hard time convincing the gyno that you are a virgin?
"The basis for getting married that conforms to the way of Christ is a regard for the advancement of the kingdom of God upon the earth."-Richard Foster

Wife to KoalaSmarties.

mamame
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.

Re: Asking for Advice on Paraguard IUD

Postby mamame » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:52 am

I had one years ago. It was painful but certainly nothing like labor!

I would caution to really think about it's mode of action. It does not prevent fertilization, only implantation in the uterine wall. They didn't really explain that to me at the time so I try to point it out.

It was a very effective mode of BC for me, but I did develop an inter uterine infection that could have impacted my future fertility because of it.

Pandaschatz
Double

Postby Pandaschatz » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:59 am

Ok, I will look into that more. Thanks for the heads up! I just remembered I have a good friend who worked as a delivery nurse at a birthing clinic. I'll see what she has to say about it.
"The basis for getting married that conforms to the way of Christ is a regard for the advancement of the kingdom of God upon the earth."-Richard Foster

Wife to KoalaSmarties.

beautyfromashes
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 20th, 2004

Postby beautyfromashes » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:04 am

I have no experience with an IUD, so I can't advise on that.

I do have experience with the GYN not believing I was a virgin. My first exam was horrible. She kept telling me it was my fault it hurt. If I had it to do over again, I would walk out of the office during the consultation, when she rolled her eyes, and said "Yeah, right." when I told her I was a virgin. I think trust is an important part of the doctor/patient relationship.
Deep intimacy always requires work, acceptance, and forgiveness. Lots of it. ~~ Linda Dillow

HisLadybug
Blanket on a secluded beach!
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 11th, 2006

Postby HisLadybug » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:22 pm

beautyforashes wrote:My first exam was horrible. She kept telling me it was my fault it hurt. If I had it to do over again, I would walk out of the office during the consultation, when she rolled her eyes, and said "Yeah, right." when I told her I was a virgin. I think trust is an important part of the doctor/patient relationship.

This is pretty much EXACTLY what happened to me!! If this starts to happen, even if you are half naked, end the exam immediately! You don't have to take this kind of disrespect out of a medical professional!!! I wish I had spoken up and I didn't. I was 21 at the time.

I am wary of the IUD because it prevents implantation. I'm not comfortable with that and I think it would be wrong for me. We use condoms right now.
Sweet like candy to my soul
Sweet you rock and sweet you roll
lost for you
I'm so lost for you
-Dave Matthews band

Pandaschatz
Double

Postby Pandaschatz » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:47 pm

Yikes! Those sound like horrible first gyno experiences. I'll be visiting home in March to do some wedding planning. My dad works for a hospital so I am making an appointment with a gyno there based on my best friend's reccomendation. Thank you for sharing your stories and advice. I'l continue to research the IUD and let you know what my final decision is.

Wife to KoalaSmarties.

BrightFuture

Postby BrightFuture » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:10 pm

Where you able to make a decision on the Paragard?

I had a horrific reaction to hormonal BCPs, so I turned to the Paragard. I found a doctor who had years of experience both with inserting them into her patients and personal experience using them herself. The deal with IUDs is that everyone has such different experiences with them and it's very difficult to know how it will work with your body. My experience was better than I could have hoped for.

For me: Insertion was a little painful/crampy, but definitely NOT "extremely" painful. I was able to go back to work right after my appointment. I did not have heavy bleeding after insertion or during any of my cycles for the 6 years I had it in. In fact, my cycles became lighter and my period cramps completely disappeared! (And yes, I definitely had the Paragard and not the Mirena). I never had any infections and my IUD never fell out despite the fact that I had never given birth before. My removal was also painless and I had some very light spotting immediately afterwards, and then nothing. My cycles continued like clockwork and we got pregnant soon after (our goal and reason for the removal).

So while my experience was an excellent one, I do know people (my own sister) who didn't have such a great time with it. If you have insurance that will cover all or most of it, then I'd definitely give it a shot!

rebekahtoa
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 13th, 2010

Postby rebekahtoa » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:25 am

I was considering getting a Paragard last year and I found this website very helpful in making my decision: iud-divas.livejournal.com
It's great to read so many different experiences.

Job29Man
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 2nd, 1980

IUDs and abortion

Postby Job29Man » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:42 am

I did a bit of digging. I was looking for a source which is more mainstream-medical-scholarly, to see what clinicians are saying. I found this abstract of an article in the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. I have bolded the part of the abstract that indicates that "all types of" IUDs have a significant postfertilization mechanism of action. IOW they can and do act to prevent the implantation of a fertilized egg. I was not able to read the entire article because they want you to spend $30 to buy it. Is there a physician or other clinician here who is already subscribed to this journal who could read it and report back to us?

If I'm reading this abstract correctly it indicates that there is NO IUD which does not also, at least in part, prevent implantation AFTER conception. If you believe that life begins at conception (and I do) then this seems to indicate that ALL IUDs have a possibly abortion-causing component.

I would appreciate any feedback on this abstract (and hopefully the complete article-- those of you who have access to a good medical library), to tell me if I'm understanding correctly. Although the "life-begins-at-conception" part is a solid conviction of mine, I'm certainly open to correction on the meaning of this abstract.

Here's the link.

http://www.ajog.org/article/S0002-9378%2802%2900493-3/abstract

Here's the abstract.

Abstract

There are many potential mechanisms of action for the intrauterine device (IUD), which vary by type of IUD (inert, copper, or hormonal). This paper reviews the evidence for each potential mechanism of action. On the basis of available data for fertilization rates and clinical pregnancy rates, the relative contribution of mechanisms acting before or after fertilization were quantitatively estimated. These estimates indicate that, although prefertilization effects are more prominent for the copper IUD, both prefertilization and postfertilization mechanisms of action contribute significantly to the effectiveness of all types of intrauterine devices. (Am J Obstet Gynecol 2002;187:1699-708.)
Wanting to become like Job, as described in the Bible, the book of Job chapter 29. Hence the screen name.

beautyfromashes
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 20th, 2004

Postby beautyfromashes » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:02 am

If you read through the prescribing information sections on both Mirena and Paragard's websites, they both say that it may work by preventing implantation. They're apparently not sure exactly how it works.

http://www.paragard.com/images/ParaGard_info.pdf - See page 4 "How Does Paragard Work?

http://labeling.bayerhealthcare.com/htm ... ena_PI.pdf - See pages 22-23. Thinning of the uterine lining makes it more difficult for an embryo to implant.
Deep intimacy always requires work, acceptance, and forgiveness. Lots of it. ~~ Linda Dillow

Job29Man

Postby Job29Man » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:30 am

Yep. I've read those DFUs/package inserts before. Their primary concern is threefold.

1. Is it safe for the woman?
2. Is it effective at preventing births?
3. Will it pass approval by the Food and Drug Administration for marketing to the public?

But the concerns of many people are...

1. Does it operate "solely" by preventing fertilization or perhaps ovulation?
2. If fertilization does occur, does it negatively affect the new person (fertilized ovum) from successfully implanting to any greater degree than would occur naturally?

It sounds like the article addresses these last two concerns. I was glad to find something in the medical literature, rather than "just" by a pro-life organization.
Wanting to become like Job, as described in the Bible, the book of Job chapter 29. Hence the screen name.

robin
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 31st, 1989

Postby robin » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:06 am

I'm just baffled that doctors are willing to put IUD's in women who haven't given birth since one of the possible side effects is uterine damage that can cause infertility. When I was young and first looking at birth control the IUD wasn't an option until I had a child. And since I too didn't have a mother to ask I had to rely on friends and nurses/doctors who were in a hurry and thus made many a birth control mistake.

A quick rundown: Sexually active with my husband starting around age 16, (I didn't become a Christian until my mid 20's) went on birth control pills and stayed on them until five months into our marriage (2 yrs later) when we learned I was pregnant. We were told there is never a 100% guarantee with the pill and we were part of the whatever percent who had it fail. After our dd was born I went back on the pill, but a stronger one and it was just bad. Years later I learned that doctors and nurses nicknamed it "Ortho Tri Psycho" and after six months I decided to try Depo Provera which caused six solid months of migraines. I quit using Depo and went back to the pill, but one that promised low side effects and took that until we decided to try for baby #2 which took us 9 months to conceive. Baby #2 arrived after an extremely stressful high risk pregnancy and the dr said no more babies for at least 3 years if at all and recommended iron clad birth control.

Enter a paraguard IUD inserted at 6 weeks postpartum. Yes it hurt. Though not as much as it could have because I had recently given birth so my cervix wasn't as unfriendly to punch through as it could have been. On we went with our usual sex life, my miserable periods (they were fine before I had kids and got much worse after kid #2 due to uterine damage) and that first March after #2 was born we were careful to use condoms in the event fate struck us a third time (I seem to only get pregnant in March) and trucked on through the next year until March came around again. Through entire month of March we used condoms again except for one time at the end of the month because we thought ovulation time had passed. April came and I had a light period so I made a dr appt for May. May came and I told the doctor that surely I did not manage to get pregnant with an IUD. Turns out I DID manage to get pregnant with an IUD! In March! AGAIN! Due in December! AGAIN! Then came all the drama of there is a baby and an IUD in your uterus what do you want to do? Risk miscarriage or risk birth defects? And the risk of possible birth defects and health issues (like having the baby born with the IUD embedded somewhere in the body and a high rate of stillborn birth) was long, longer than what had been disclosed BEFORE I consented to having it inserted. The IUD was carefully removed while dr was being guided by ultrasound (I was lucky, implantation was above and away from the IUD) and I went home with a 70% chance of miscarriage in the first 48 hrs and spent an entire week in bed. Had another ultrasound and all was well so I went back to work but cut way back on my hours. Another high risk pregnancy so lots of dr appts and ultrasounds and every time baby was doing fine. Then the last week of June something felt wrong. I had just had an ultrasound days before and saw baby swimming around, saw her little heartbeat, I had felt her flutter a bit. But days later I just felt dread. I called my doctor who was mercifully willing to give me another ultrasound just to calm my fears and the news wasn't good. Just a couple days short of 18 weeks gestation our baby girl died. While we hadn't planned on that baby once we knew she was on her way we had wanted her desperately. Within a year I ended up having a hysterectomy at 23 because my uterus was just too damaged so there would be no more babies for us. Not all of that was due to the IUD, but it didn't help either. And I wouldn't repeat the experience of being told I was pregnant there was HUGE risk to my unborn child no matter what I did for ANYTHING ever again.

So what did I tell my dd before she got married and was looking at birth control? One. Consider very very carefully before you use anything that can cause permanent damage to your body or fertility or can cause birth defects and injury to a baby in the event of failure. Two. Don't count on any of it to work even if you use it diligently and properly. God brings babies whenever He darn well feels like it and He's not so bothered by when it is or isn't convenient for you. And sometimes that can be the biggest blessing.

Our dd ended up getting a diaphragm which she found uncomfortable and replaced it with a cervical cap. She charted her cycles and when she was near ovulation they used the cervical cap, spermicide and a condom, when she was in a safer zone they used condoms.

No one can make this decision for you, but oh honey, would I ever caution against it.
Biting is excellent! It's like kissing only there's a winner! - Idris

Job29Man

Latest news on abortion from IUD and Norplant and BC Pills

Postby Job29Man » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:49 pm

Here is more information of IUD causing abortion.

From the website for The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. in FAQ184, July 2014 (Note the very recent dating of this publication. The red emphasis is mine.)

How does the IUD work?

Both types of IUDs work mainly by preventing fertilization of the egg by the sperm. The hormonal IUD also thickens cervical mucus, which makes it harder for sperm to enter the uterus and fertilize the egg, and keeps the lining of the uterus thin, which makes it less likely that a fertilized egg will attach to it.
=================================================

What is the birth control implant?

The birth control implant is a single flexible rod about the size of a matchstick that is inserted under the skin in the upper arm. It releases progestin into the body. It protects against pregnancy for up to 3 years.

How does the birth control implant work?

The progestin in the implant prevents pregnancy mainly by stopping ovulation. In addition, the progestin in the implant thickens cervical mucus, which makes it harder for sperm to enter the uterus and fertilize the egg. Progestin also keeps the lining of the uterus thin, making it less likely that a fertilized egg will attach to it.

And in September 2013 in FAQ 021 they publish here that...

How do birth control pills work?
Birth control pills contain hormones that prevent ovulation. These hormones also cause other changes in the body that help prevent pregnancy. The mucus in the cervix thickens, which makes it hard for sperm to enter the uterus. The lining of the uterus thins, making it less likely that a fertilized egg can attach to it.

Medic
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 24th, 2015

Re: IUDs and abortion

Postby Medic » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:08 pm

Job29Man wrote: Is there a physician or other clinician here who is already subscribed to this journal who could read it and report back to us?

If I'm reading this abstract correctly it indicates that there is NO IUD which does not also, at least in part, prevent implantation AFTER conception. If you believe that life begins at conception (and I do) then this seems to indicate that ALL IUDs have a possibly abortion-causing component.

I would appreciate any feedback on this abstract (and hopefully the complete article-- those of you who have access to a good medical library), to tell me if I'm understanding correctly. Although the "life-begins-at-conception" part is a solid conviction of mine, I'm certainly open to correction on the meaning of this abstract.

While this is a very late addition to the thread. I do have access to such materials. As to the current text unfortunately an online PDF copy is not given. I should be able to request a paper copy for free (I will get back to you in a few days). That being said I do have access to many of these journals. As time allows I am more than willing to dig through them, forward pdf's (for personal use :wink: ), and do what I can.

EDIT: It seems I should be able to get it for free. I have put a request in with my admin... it may take a while, but theoretically I shall get it! All 9 pages of glory :D

Again as time allows if anyone needs a journal article I will see what I can do (I can often get full PDF texts).

Sincerely,
Medic
Browsing lingerie section: "Hmmmm she is intelligent... creative... and she likes to volunteer... the french maid outfit should do." :wink:

FoxluvsBunny
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 23rd, 2015

Postby FoxluvsBunny » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:51 am

thanks, Medic :) Although we aren't seeking an IUD, it's something i'm interested in, because i've heard mixed things...
<3, Bunny
Just a Bunny learning everyday what it means to Love and Live Harmoniously with a Fox

But if you tame me then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world.~TLP

Job29Man

Postby Job29Man » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:24 am

Medic sent me the pdf. I'll have time to study it probably late next week. Thanks Medic!

FoxluvsBunny
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 23rd, 2015

Postby FoxluvsBunny » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:41 am

Yes, please post a synopsis Job, after you study. I can see why it may be an attractive option to come as most BC options some with a slew of negative side effects and it's almost like you pick your poison (before we were married we both researched the many options and we have settled on the one we laughed at when first researching- the WD method at only potentially fertile times; we watched a video about some lady who uses it with a foreign accent describing how it was a "mature and responsible method" and that became an inside joke for us until we did a bit more research and considering)... In terms of the paraguard, i think it's one of the few non hormonal, low side effect, very effective (over 99%) method. There are many people who i've heard have been happy w/ it; many pros in terms of not having to remember to use it, doesn't affect sex drive, usually quite reversible, doesn't affect sensation of male or female . Other than the potential abortant effect, one potential issue, as has been touched on, any IUD can have a low risk of dangerous side effects like infection or puncturing the uterus. I went to the ER and saw a girl screaming and overheard that it was because of an IUD that had come out of place. As someone who may already have fertility issues due to a condition, i've decided i don't want 1 more risk to my fertility. I'd love to know about the abortant effect tho in case i ever am in the position to advise a friend on this or something ...

i think the mechanism of the paraguard IUD is that the copper might kill sperm before reaching the egg, i remember reading it also blocks implantation if fertilization does happen, AND it can be used as emergency contraception, if inserted up to 5 days after unprotected sex, blocking the implantation of the fertilized egg. Many sources say it prevents implantation (so i suppose whether or not it's abortant depends on 1. if it is ABLE to prevent implantation, but always kills sperm first, before blocking implantation so it would then only be considered abortant if used in situation of emergency contraception and 2. if you personally have the conviction that life begins at conception vs implantation- i believe it begins at conception, yet there is the argument that many eggs are fertilized and do not implant naturally, but I personally leave that up to God to decide, which fertilized eggs would progress to a full term pregnancy, and would go with my own conscience and not choose a method of BC that might prevent implantation of a pregnancy that could have progressed to FT baby.

ps: i wonder if it's different w/ the mirena as it actually contains (a very small dose- about 13% of the progesterone as that contained in the standard birth control pill) the hormone progesterone (although i do know 1 woman who said she ovulated on the mirena, just had very minimal bleeding, which makes me think that she could have conceived and just not implanted)... hmmm...
<3, Bunny
Just a Bunny learning everyday what it means to Love and Live Harmoniously with a Fox

But if you tame me then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world.~TLP

Return to “Birth Control”