Birth control questions

What's available, do's and don'ts.
hands
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 18th, 2013

Birth control questions

Postby hands » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:54 am

This last weekend my fiancé and I decided that we do want use some form of birth control. Originally we had not planned on doing anything to prevent pregnancy but we decided we would like 6 months to a year of being married before we add a child to the mix. We have been in a ldr for our entire relationship if 5 months. So we figure we should spend sometime really getting to know each other, enjoying each other and just having fun before we have a baby.
Anyway, we have decide against condoms and I'm thinking on using a pill. My friend recommended the mini pill she uses which is a norethindrone tablet. From what I understand this pill prevent ovulation and does not destroy a fertilized egg?
Whatever I use I want to make sure it's not going to destroy a fertilized egg because we believe life begins at conception.
Has any one used this mini pill? Did you have any problems with it?
Any other suggestions for birth control methods? At this point I'm not really interested in NFP or FAM because I know myself and tracking will be an issue for me just because I'll get lazy about it. Even pills are going to be a pain because I'm not consistent about taking the Meds I'm on for my thyroid. (I know that's not good and I'm working on it)
Anyway and advice would be very helpful. :D

mamame
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.

Re: Birth control questions

Postby mamame » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:57 am

I don't know of any pill that purely prevents ovulation without also thinning the uterine lining so that it would be inhospitable to an embryo.

Why yes, I do post from my phone. How could you tell?

hands
Queen bed

Postby hands » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:29 am

What does that mean exactly?

InGodsGrace
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 9th, 1999

Postby InGodsGrace » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:31 am

That the pill will make the egg not implant. All hormonal bc works this way. (Pill, IUD, shot etc)

hands
Queen bed

Postby hands » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:50 am

So does being on the pill cause problems once you get off it and start trying to conceive?

InGodsGrace
Under the stars

Postby InGodsGrace » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:45 am

Supposedly not, but they also don't tell you about an egg not being able to implant.

hands
Queen bed

Postby hands » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:19 am

The more I read about all the different pills, the more confused I get. I guess I'm just looking for a pill that is not "abortive". I read the info in the main TMB website about birth control pills. It seems to suggest that COC's are ok but I read other sites that seem to contradict that.

InGodsGrace
Under the stars

Postby InGodsGrace » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:56 am

I think it all boils down to what you believe and your own convictions. The risk is too great for me.

Bc pills also have the tendency to get rid of our sex drive.

tentsofpurple
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 4th, 2004

Postby tentsofpurple » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:20 am

InGodsGrace wrote:I think it all boils down to what you believe and your own convictions. The risk is too great for me.

Bc pills also have the tendency to get rid of our sex drive.

I agree with this, I couldn't find a solid answer either way (several sources were contradictory) and was not willing to take the risk that the pill might be abortive (after I found out that it had that potential) I didn't know that it could be when I started taking it and I also didn't know that it had the potential to kill your libido. I really wish the doctors prescribing it would be more honest and up front about its potential side effects, I was never told about any possible side effects at all. It totally tanked my sex drive (several different kinds, even the low dose versions) and looking back I think as a part of that I was less attracted to dh. I recently read a study about how it really alters your body chemistry (they did studies in monkeys) this is not the exact article I read and its not from a Christian perspective (talks about evolution) but it summarizes it:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 77316.html

Maybe schedule an appointment with your gynecologist to go over non-hormonal types of birth control, I've never tried it but some people recommend a diaphragm. I personally use something called a Lady Comp, its a little computer that you use to take your temperature every morning and it tracks your fertility for you. It gives you a red light for "you could get pregnant" and we use alternate methods (he pulls out) on that day and a green light for "you are very unlikely to get pregnant" its got a pearl index (mechanism used for rating the effectiveness of birth control methods) comparable to condoms. It can also later be used to pinpoint the best time to conceive (it its pretty accurate at detecting ovulation) Like you I didn't trust myself to chart and keep track of things on my own so this was a great solution for us, we've been using it successfully for over a year. It is on the pricey side but it might be worth looking into if you are interested in that type of birth control.

missunique
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 25th, 2010

Postby missunique » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:08 pm

I was under the impression that the mini-pill actually made chemical abortions more likely than the combined pill. Isn't the oestrogen what is supposed to be the main preventer of ovulation and mini-pills only have progesterone? From what I understand the progesterone is more involved in thinning the uterine lining to prevent implantation (a chemical abortion).

In case you didn't know, the 3 ways in which all BC pills work:
1) Prevent ovulation (to a greater or lesser extent)
2) Thicken cervical mucus (to make it more difficult for sperm to travel to egg)
3) Thin the lining of the uterine wall (to make it less likely for an embryo to implant if the first 2 mechanisms don't work)

hands
Queen bed

Postby hands » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:03 pm

After I did some more research I think you are right about the mini pill. I don't think that's an option I'll use. I don't know if the friend that told me about the mini pill realizes that. I might have to talk to her again.

missunique
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 25th, 2010

Postby missunique » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:33 am

You should go to this website: http://28daysonthepill.com/ It has a video explaining how the pill works, there is a full 46 minute one or if you don't have time a shortened 7 minute one.

Mr. Dev
Double
Date of your marriage (past or future): October 2nd, 1997

Postby Mr. Dev » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:45 am

Here is a resource that fully convinced me on the issue. It is a $2 Kindle download.

http://www.amazon.com/Birth-Control-Cau ... =1-2-fkmr0
"Is he-quite safe? I shall feel rather nervous about meeting a lion"..."Safe?" said Mr Beaver ..."Who said anything about safe? 'Course he isn't safe. But he's good. He's the King, I tell you."

HisLadybug
Blanket on a secluded beach!
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 11th, 2006

Postby HisLadybug » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:37 am

My body's ovulation signs were very obvious. We used the NuvaRing. I read all the information about it, and it seemed to me that there might be a small chance that if the ring didn't prevent ovulation, there was a possibility it might prevent implantation.

I tried the ring for a few months before we got married and found that it did suppress my ovulation.

However it caused a slow decrease in my sex drive. 6 years later I came off it and my body woke up. It was amazing how much sex drive I had been lacking.

I would encourage you not to rule out condoms. They are cheap, effective when used correctly, and pretty convenient.
Sweet like candy to my soul
Sweet you rock and sweet you roll
lost for you
I'm so lost for you
-Dave Matthews band

Mr. Dev
Double
Date of your marriage (past or future): October 2nd, 1997

Postby Mr. Dev » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:03 pm

After years of using the pill, we switched to a diaphragm. So far, we are happy with it.
"Is he-quite safe? I shall feel rather nervous about meeting a lion"..."Safe?" said Mr Beaver ..."Who said anything about safe? 'Course he isn't safe. But he's good. He's the King, I tell you."

The Twit
Blanket on a secluded beach!
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 14th, 1993

Postby The Twit » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:55 pm

We used condoms quite successfully. Finding the right one that fit right and gave each of us the sensation that pleased us was very enjoyable. You can get a sample pack from any drugstore, WalMart, Target, etc. or you can go on the web and find many condom sources or you can get some for free or deep discounts from the condom manufatures.

Princess_Bear
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): July 28th, 2007

Postby Princess_Bear » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:34 am

I'll second the 28 Days on the Pill documentary, and add that you might find "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" by Toni Weschler worth reading. :)
Administrator of the "Christian Fertility Awareness Support Group" on Facebook. All women welcome!

Arogen

Postby Arogen » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:07 pm

hands wrote:This last weekend my fiancé and I decided that we do want use some form of birth control. Originally we had not planned on doing anything to prevent pregnancy but we decided we would like 6 months to a year of being married before we add a child to the mix. We have been in a ldr for our entire relationship if 5 months. So we figure we should spend sometime really getting to know each other, enjoying each other and just having fun before we have a baby.

I think this is smart. One big change at a time is a good rule to follow. This is especially true when it has been a LDR, so marriage will be a bigger change than usual for you both.

Anyway, we have decide against condoms and I'm thinking on using a pill...
Any other suggestions for birth control methods? At this point I'm not really interested in NFP or FAM because I know myself and tracking will be an issue for me just because I'll get lazy about it.

For my DW, the pill made her feel like she was pregnant all the time. Not the good second trimester pregnant feeling, but the yucky first trimester pregnant feeling. Not everybody gets that of course. If you are OK with how the pill works, I think it would be a good place to start since it doesn't require you to do anything while in the heat of the moment. We tried both condoms and the diaphragm and in both cases there were time where things were just too hot and heavy for us to bother getting them out.

I didn't like condoms because I didn't really feel DW when inside her when wearing one, it's like shaking somebody's hand with a glove on. We tried a sheep gut condom once and that felt a LOT nicer than a latex one, but they are hard to find since they don't stop STDs so few places carry them. The diaphragm was way better, but I often got in deep enough that the edge of it would rub against my tip and sometimes rub it sore. Might have just needed to use more lube or something.

[/quote]

hands
Queen bed

Postby hands » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:49 am

Thank you all for your responses. After prayer and lots of research my FH and I both feel comfortable with using the pill. We are going to start out with that method and see how it goes. If the side effects are too much we will look into other options. For now though we both feel the pill is our best option.
Thanks again. :D

blushingwife
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 14th, 1997

Postby blushingwife » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:55 am

Keep in mind that if one brand has bad side effects, it does not mean that another one will.
Try one and see whether it affects your libido (many do) and whether it makes you feel pregnancy symptoms (a real pain..)
I am really glad with the pill I take, but I found it after some trial and error

Return to “Birth Control”