Withdrawal method

What's available, do's and don'ts.
TexasChristian
Twin size
Date of your marriage (past or future): September 10th, 2010

Withdrawal method

Postby TexasChristian » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:08 pm

I curious how many people use withdrawal as their only method of birth control. How successful has it been for you? Where do you usually ejaculate at?

HisEnchantedCardinal
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): April 12th, 1996

Re: Withdrawal method

Postby HisEnchantedCardinal » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:22 pm

Last edited by HisEnchantedCardinal on Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lee'swife
Blanket on a secluded beach!
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 9th, 2001

Postby lee'swife » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:35 pm

We use that method. We did just have a surprise baby but that is due to that I was off on my tracking and told him it was ok to stay in. He goes into a towel most of the time.
When did we start thinking that God only wanted us to go to safe places and do easy things?

tentsofpurple
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 4th, 2004

Postby tentsofpurple » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:41 pm

We do, kind of. We track my fertility using a Ladycomp and on days where I am potentially fertile he pulls out, the rest of the time he doesn't. We've been using this method for about a year and half successfully. Like anything its not 100% but we are ok with that.

LadyP
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 17th, 2007

Postby LadyP » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:36 am

we have in the past - when we were using the diaphragm and I hadn't anticipated needing it that night (one of the reasons we switched!) and after the baby was born, before I could have the Mirena inserted. He'd [ejaculate] on my belly or back or thighs, and we never had any problems with it. I don't use any of the charting methods because my cycles are too irregular to make it worth the effort.
A good rule for rocket experimenters to follow is this: always assume that it will explode. — Astronautics, issue 38, October 1937.
Truth By Bits, my daily-ish devotional blog

gingeroo147
Twin size
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 28th, 2004

Postby gingeroo147 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:00 pm

we do this and have been on and off for years. it works better than any thing else we have tried (pills, the ring, the patch, iud, condoms, sponge...all part of a long annoying uncomfortable story)

however, my dh had chemo as a young teenager and may or may not have been affected by that...
We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh? --11th Doctor

cwcaesar
Twin size
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 2nd, 2003

Postby cwcaesar » Thu May 02, 2013 2:01 pm

We tried this method, and were surprised by our third child. Had success with this method for a little over a year before becoming pregnant. I have since had a vasectomy, to mitigate the surprises. If on top, I would finish on her belly. If I was underneath, I would usually finish on her rear end/all over me.

George B.
On the floor
Date of your marriage (past or future): July 20th, 1996

Postby George B. » Thu May 02, 2013 10:39 pm

the issue with withdrawal is that in order for it to be effective, you have to withdraw well before your orgasm, not just as you're [ejaculating]. this means that you have to finish yourself off by hand or your DW has to in some way.

for us, we ended up using condoms for the finish, just putting it on right at the end, which was more satisfying
On sex: "Neither men nor women will be asked to throw away the weapon they have used victoriously. It is the beaten and the fugitives who throw away their swords. The conquerors sheathe theirs and retain them."-C.S. Lewis

sexwithinmarriage
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 19th, 2001

Postby sexwithinmarriage » Fri May 03, 2013 7:04 am

We use this method, but wife is very careful about taking her temperature every morning, and we avoid PIV near fertile days.
Where? Usually just pull out and ejaculate...wherever. If we're doing missionary, on her stomach/breasts/legs, if we're doing doggy style, rear & back.
My little blog on marriage, intimacy and sexuality, from a Christian perspective: https://UncoveringIntimacy.com

TxGuy
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 8th, 1997

Postby TxGuy » Mon May 27, 2013 2:04 pm

Probably about 4 or 5 years ago and wanted my DW to get off of the pill and also the Depo shot she had been on. She was approaching 35 and is a smoker. I wanted to get her off of those things and the awful side effects that they all carry with them. She did. We occasionally use a condom, but for the most part we use the withdrawal method you refer to and some people call it the "pull" method. It works great for us and we neither one have considered having her get back on the bad birth control. Where I finish depends on what position we are ML. If it is doggie style, then on the back and if missionary then just on her torso. Doesn't take but a couple of Huggies baby wipes to clean up and you are all done. Works for us and is great to have had her off of bc for so long now.
Happily together for close to 17 years!
Our empty nest is a BLAST!

Job29Man
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 2nd, 1980

Postby Job29Man » Mon May 27, 2013 2:10 pm

That's our method.

Job29man
father of ten
Wanting to become like Job, as described in the Bible, the book of Job chapter 29. Hence the screen name.

Paul B
Date of your marriage (past or future): January 27th, 1985
Location: The Inland Empire - north of Spokane, south of Canada

Postby Paul B » Mon May 27, 2013 9:15 pm

It's never sounded like fun to me, but statistically it is a good as condoms. Once a man knows his body he can pull out late enough that he will climax without any additional stimulation, but her hand or pushing against her body will make it nicer for him or finish him if he pulls out too soon.
Paul
Marriage and Sex Educator ~ My passion is better marriages and better married sex lives.

The Generous Husband
The XY Code - Attempting to explain men to women.
Follow me on Twitter @themarriagebed

sexwithinmarriage
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 19th, 2001

Postby sexwithinmarriage » Tue May 28, 2013 6:04 am

Job29Man wrote:That's our method.

Job29man
father of ten

.... are you saying it works, or doesn't work?
My little blog on marriage, intimacy and sexuality, from a Christian perspective: https://UncoveringIntimacy.com

meglettx
Twin size
Date of your marriage (past or future): March 9th, 2013

Postby meglettx » Tue May 28, 2013 8:41 am

Job29man
father of ten

:lol:

mom210
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 2nd, 1978

Postby mom210 » Wed May 29, 2013 3:01 pm

sexwithinmarriage wrote:

Job29man
father of ten

Well....it works as long as you pull out in time.....don't have any "drips "..and also combine it with an infertile time of the month.

Kyra
Double
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 22nd, 1999

Postby Kyra » Thu May 30, 2013 12:20 am

Many people say the withdrawal method is very unsafe, they claim there can be sperm in the pre-ejaculatory fluid. But awhile ago I read (here on TMB or somewhere else, can't remember) that there can only be sperm present in the pre-ejaculatory fluid when a man hasn't urinated since the last LM-session. In other words: when the tubes haven't been rinsed since the last ejaculation. :wink:
Although DH and I don't use the withdrawal method and therefore I can't say if it's true, I think this is interesting information. So gentlemen please visit the bathroom after ejaculation when you have mutiple LM-sessions.

VikingJ
Hammock
Date of your marriage (past or future): July 10th, 1996

Withdrawal method

Postby VikingJ » Thu May 30, 2013 12:30 am

There are good statistics about different contraceptive methods and how successful they are. I am on my phone at the moment so I didn't find a good source in English.
If you have better control than the average you will have better success with all methods as most pregnancies happen because of a failure to follow the guidelines for your chosen method.
To be honest I don't think that you want to be the one who has full control in the MB, it's kind of contradictory to ecstasy and fun. ;)

Job29Man
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 2nd, 1980

Postby Job29Man » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:20 am

sexwithinmarriage wrote:

Job29man
father of ten

I was totally tongue in cheek. I can't imagine a more frustrating way to end intercourse than by withdrawal. No, I'd never use withdrawal.
But I wasn't kidding about the father of ten part.

There is the old joke about the rhythm method that I'll paraphrase here...

Q: What do you call couples who use the withdrawal method for contraception?
A: Parents
Wanting to become like Job, as described in the Bible, the book of Job chapter 29. Hence the screen name.

HisLadybug
Blanket on a secluded beach!
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 11th, 2006

Postby HisLadybug » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:09 am

We use this right now. Our intention was to first use the diaphragm but turns out, I'm allergic to the spermicide. Then we were using condoms but neither of us like the feel of them.

It's not ideal but it's better than using a condom. Another baby at this juncture would not be wise for us. We've got some things to take care of before we allow for #2.
Sweet like candy to my soul
Sweet you rock and sweet you roll
lost for you
I'm so lost for you
-Dave Matthews band

meglettx
Twin size
Date of your marriage (past or future): March 9th, 2013

Postby meglettx » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:57 am

HisLadybug wrote:We use this right now. Our intention was to first use the diaphragm but turns out, I'm allergic to the spermicide. Then we were using condoms but neither of us like the feel of them.

It's not ideal but it's better than using a condom. Another baby at this juncture would not be wise for us. We've got some things to take care of before we allow for #2.

I can't speak for personal experience as DH and I are okay with starting our family right away and thus haven't tried condoms but it seems to me I'd rather use condoms than withdrawal. My sister and her DH use withdrawal because she can't stand condoms and so far it's working for them, but they were only married in August of 2012. :D

Return to “Birth Control”