Ferning

What's available, do's and don'ts.
HisHarbor
Double
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 10th, 2011

Ferning

Postby HisHarbor » Fri May 31, 2013 11:19 am

Curious- has anyone utilized ferning/saliva tests as a method to monitor fertility to AVOID pregnancy with much success? Due to my work, there is no way I can take my temperature at the same time every day. We have been sort of improvising FAM for the last year and a half, erring on the side of caution, but it leads to less sex then we'd like. I know the tests say not to use them as a birth control, but I'm guessing because they assume people won't take into account the days of fertility leading up to ovulation? (The test would come up positive 24-48 hrs before ovulation, so the spermies could still make it if you'd had sex the day before).

Basically, I want to figure out a way to know for sure I have ovulated so we can commence relations the second half of the month... without taking my temperature. Any ideas welcome.

tentsofpurple
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 4th, 2004

Re: Ferning

Postby tentsofpurple » Fri May 31, 2013 12:36 pm

I don't know much about ferning one of my friends used it to get pregnant but I don't know how great it would be for avoiding. Something to think about would be a Ladycomp its a little computer that you use to take your temp and it tracks your fertility and gives you a green light for "go for it you won't get pregnant" and a red light for "you are potentially fertile" We've been using it successfully for over a year (dh pulls out on the red light days and we don't use/do anything on the green light days). There is a whole section about how its supposed to still be accurate for people who work swing shifts, get interrupted sleep, have weird work schedules etc. I didn't read that part since it didn't apply to me so I don't know much about how it works but it might be worth looking into.

http://www.raxmedical.com/ladycomp.php

HisHarbor
Double

Postby HisHarbor » Fri May 31, 2013 1:00 pm

Interesting...

Unfortunately this:

"If your sleep habits are irregular, you can use the monitor effectively, as long as you take your temperature after you have slept for five hours, at least three of which, should be consecutive. It is beneficial, especially in the first three months of use, to take your temperature at a fairly regular time of day (within 3 hours of the usual time)."

Is not always possible. I'd say about 4-5 nights out of 28. :( I need something that is independent of time of day or sleep.

Out of curiosity... what happens to the computer if you just don't take your temperature one day? Does it freak or recalculate?

Mrs. Tomorrow
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 14th, 2011

Ferning

Postby Mrs. Tomorrow » Fri May 31, 2013 6:51 pm

I have used the Ladycomp successfully also (combined with charting, plus condoms during fertile periods), and it does not freak out or recalculate if you miss a few days. If it isn't quite sure whether you're fertile an wants you to be cautious, it will give you a yellow light. The more you temp, the more accurate it will be. If you miss a few days, you may simply get a few extra "yellow light" days.

missunique
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 25th, 2010

Postby missunique » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:06 am

You could learn a mucus only method such as Billings or Creighton, your sleep patterns won't matter then. If you use the TCOYF book it does mention how to adapt taking your temp for shift work and moving time zones so that might be useful?

HisHarbor
Double

Postby HisHarbor » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:38 pm

Thanks! I finally got a chance to look into Billings and Creighton. I realized that's what I was already doing, basically! I thought I was an increased risk for not taking my temp from being a devoted TCOYF fan, and if I could I think it would still be ideal. However, the fact that studies back up these two methods too inspires great confidence in me. :) Thanks!

Princess_Bear
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): July 28th, 2007

Postby Princess_Bear » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:50 am

HisHarbor wrote:Thanks! I finally got a chance to look into Billings and Creighton. I realized that's what I was already doing, basically! I thought I was an increased risk for not taking my temp from being a devoted TCOYF fan, and if I could I think it would still be ideal. However, the fact that studies back up these two methods too inspires great confidence in me. :) Thanks!
I would strongly encourage you, if you're going the CF-only route, to find a certified Billings or Creighton instructor and get some instructions on how to really use the method. I'm not super familiar with Billings, but I know the Creighton way of distinguishing fertile fluid from non-fertile fluid is MUCH more in-depth than what Toni describes in TCOYF. Your instructor would be able to explain those differences and make sure that you understand them as well. :)
Administrator of the "Christian Fertility Awareness Support Group" on Facebook. All women welcome!

Return to “Birth Control”