Tubule ligations....

What's available, do's and don'ts.
MeetinMiddle
Twin size
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 15th, 2000

Tubule ligations....

Postby MeetinMiddle » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:16 am

I am pregnant with our 4th who will be here 9/23/13. We've always wanted 4 :P

I have C-sections, so a tubule makes sense right? I do not want to go back on hormonal control. We are 95% sure we are done with kids. I guess I'm just nervous. I was hoping to get back some sex drive (I struggle with this, but have been on bcp, preg, nursing for the entire 13 years of our marriage. Guess I've heard so much bad. My ob says that it is silly for people to connect early menopause/hysterectomies/heavy periods/lowered sex drive on a tubule since you're not messing with the uterus at all.

Thanks for any advice.

On track

Re: Tubule ligations....

Postby On track » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:25 am

I have c-sections too and considered a Tubal. However, when I talked to my doctor I was surprised to find that there was still a slim risk of pregnancy. Any pregnancy would likely have to be terminated (my neighbor experienced this after her tubal). Even though it is a slight risk, I backed out because I don't think I would handle the situation well emotionally if it did come up. You may want to ask your doctor what your risk of pregnancy would be and what the prognosis for a pregnancy would be.

(Disclaimer - I am remembering a info from a doctor's appt. about 3 years ago. My info may be flawed :? . It is worth asking about as you consider the decision though.)

mamame
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.

Postby mamame » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:00 am

I had one about 8 years ago. I am now in postmenopaus so there are some changes but they seem to be the same as my mom and sister experiences.

Drive is much higher. No regrets.

Due to some health issues pregnancy would be dangerous for me and a baby (they were shocked that I was able to have any as my diagnosis came during my last one) so the doc didn't just tie. He removed the fallopian tubes and burned the ends. No chance of a conception. Well no chance short of a miracle.

OldMarriedLady
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 7th, 1983

Postby OldMarriedLady » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:30 am

Is there a particular reason why your DH doesn't want to get a vasectomy? It's less invasive and a shorter recovery time than a tubal ligation. I got a tubal because my DH was too chicken to get a vasectomy. :roll: Truthfully though, I knew beyond a doubt that I didn't want any more kids, and I wanted him to be able to have kids with someone else if I were to die young (though he said at the time that he wouldn't ever want to do that) so it made more sense for me to get sterilized than him.

As far as there being no link between a tubal and early menopause, my experience was that I stopped menstruating one month after the tubal, went into full-blown menopause with all the symptoms, and have been menopausal ever since then (I was 37). It could just be an incredible coincidence (which is what the doctor insisted) but I don't think so. Maybe something about it shocks the entire reproductive system in some women and throws everything out of whack.
"When you love them, they drive you crazy - because they know they can."
(From the 1987 movie "Moonstruck", written by John Patrick Shanley)

InGodsGrace
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 9th, 1999

Postby InGodsGrace » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:20 pm

OldMarriedLady wrote:Is there a particular reason why your DH doesn't want to get a vasectomy? It's less invasive and a shorter recovery time than a tubal ligation. I got a tubal because my DH was too chicken to get a vasectomy. :roll: Truthfully though, I knew beyond a doubt that I didn't want any more kids, and I wanted him to be able to have kids with someone else if I were to die young (though he said at the time that he wouldn't ever want to do that) so it made more sense for me to get sterilized than him.

She's having a c-section in Sept :-).

Personally I'd never have one, doesn't seem natural. But that's my opinion.

C_Brown
Fell out of ...
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 17th, 1984

Postby C_Brown » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:19 pm

Be sure you are ready emotionally for it.

We were married young and had kid after kid so we had our 6th and DW was still in her mid 30s but I wanted to stop. I've had a lot of challenges in my career including a couple long periods of unemployment where we had to rely on the kindness of others, but even when I was working we were always just barely getting by, nothing saved at all. Looking down the road at paying for college and marriages and everything else was just overwhelming to me. One more kid would mean a second car would be a must, and a bigger house too. I felt that having any more kids would be irresponsible and put my ability to meet my obligations to the kids I already had at risk.

I knew DW would not like the idea at all, she loves kids, loves being pregnant (except the last 2 months). I could have gone and gotten a V myself, but I didn't want her to feel I forced something on her and have her resent me for it. I wanted her to agree with the decision in her heart so I left it to her to get a tubal but ONLY if she agreed it was right. She went ahead with it but it really affected her. For a year or so she could not bring herself to hold somebody's baby, it just made her hurt inside too much, and she did wind up resenting me over it a bit for a time as well. She knows it was right but hates that it was right. It wasn't long after she did it that a couple of our kids developed conditions that put a lot of demands on us so it was a VERY good thing we didn't also have to deal with babies or pregnancy at the same time. I'll be so happy for her when we have grandkids.
So yes, I know that love is unconditional. But I also know that it can be unpredictable, unexpected, uncontrollable, unbearable and strangely easy to mistake for loathing -- Yvaine (in the movie Stardust)

MeetinMiddle
Twin size
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 15th, 2000

Postby MeetinMiddle » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:14 am

We are both 34, have been married 13 years. Our kids are 7, 4, & 2 with #4 being here in sept. so our house is overwhelming @ times to say the least. But yes since I'm having a csection it's hard to convince him he needs to do a vasectomy. The emotions are one thing I'm worried about..... Especially with having just given birth. I've healed we'll from my past csections but I do worry about more each one is harder to recover from. Money is a bit tight but better now.

I'm pretty sure in my head this is the right choice. I love little ones but am slowly feeling ready to move onto the next steps of parenting. We've always said 4 kids & I wanted to be done with pregnancies by 35 I think I'm just in a bit of a shock it's already here. Lol

mamame

Postby mamame » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:40 am

Imo pretty sure isn't sure enough. I also don't think it's a great benefit to doing it during a c/s.

I did mine 3 months post c/s because my doc doesn't think anyone should make that decision while pregnant.

Return to “Birth Control”