The Pill Is Evil.

What's available, do's and don'ts.
Job29Man
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 2nd, 1980

Re: The Pill Is Evil.

Postby Job29Man » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:02 pm

jokerman wrote:I think you are asking great questions. The pill, invented around 1960, is the perfect scapegoat for libido issues, when in fact mismatched libidos are probably a problem as old as marriage itself.

But I'm under the impression (perhaps wrongly?) that there lots of people who will say of themselves... "I had a strong libido, while married to THIS man, who is still just as lovable as he always was, and then I went on the pill and my libido dropped sharply." If so, that would run counter to the "mismatched libidos" phenomenon, right?

Maybe we need a poll on this? Hmmmmm.... where could we find an OG or mod who could start up such a poll? :? :roll:
Wanting to become like Job, as described in the Bible, the book of Job chapter 29. Hence the screen name.

Tigerfan87
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): April 15th, 2009

Postby Tigerfan87 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:15 pm

I think there are a lot of natural alternatives that could be used prior to having to take the pill in the cases of going on it for medical reasons. What we put in our bodies and how we use them is very important to how our bodies function and behave.

So that said, I rescind calling it evil and instead call it 95% evil because I realize some people can't resolve health problems through lifestyle changes.

Libido I believe is directly linked to your hormones. A woman's hormones fluctuate on a cycle. Typically when she ovulates she is also piquing in drive for example. If a woman's hormones are regulated to be what they are when she is pregnant (in order to prevent ovulation), you most likely end up with steady mediocre or subpar drive. You also end up with other health problems because guess what, a healthy person regulates their own hormones better than some quack doctor.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

seeker12
Fell out of ...
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 17th, 1980

Postby seeker12 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:48 pm

I am in the camp of knowing your sex drive before marriage. Before marriage, I most definitely burned (desired) sex. It motivated me to get married (along with other reasons). My DW has a low drive and only showed strong interest in sex so she would not "lose me". Soon after marriage, I found that my DW did not share the same burning desire for sex.

The Twit
Blanket on a secluded beach!
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 14th, 1993

Postby The Twit » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:52 pm

From my experience the "pill" has stabilized my wife's hormones and she has been more willing to have sex on a regular basis. Going from once a month or every other month to weekly is an improvement. I do believe that libido is strongly related to the level of stress and willingness to open up. How can one be amorous when one is worried about finances, family, getting pregnant, getting a UTI, worried about pain, etc.? Thus from my experience, the hormones can be affected by how one allows the levels of stress and worries to affect their body and body functions. Why is one of the top items when trying to recover from any illness is to reduce stress. I think of sleep disorders, heart issues, cancer, strokes, etc. the first thing to do is reduce stress. When your body is fighting stress it cannot fight other bad items. I am not stating that this is the only way because each person is different and each person reacts to foreign chemicals in their bodies. Think of all of the side affects of any drug. Not everyone gets those reactions.

dr_parsley
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): April 2nd, 2005

Postby dr_parsley » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:09 pm

If frustrated it feels like my libido could quite happily handle 3 times a day. But if I get that for a while, my libido goes down to once per day, or even two days in three. So I can imagine someone with a relatively low drive thinking, "It feels like I'd like daily sex" but it turns out they only have a twice-per-week drive when they are satisfied.

So, I think even for anecdotal evidence you'd have to discount people who went on the pill when they began to have sex. Also people who began when they got married but were before having sinful sex.

Our anecdote is that DW was a virgin and often felt frustrated and aroused before marriage. Honeymoon was 4 or 5 times a day, fine, fell pregnant on honeymoon. Through pregnancy she continued to be medium libido. Went on pill after childbirth and has since felt extremely sporadic desire. It's not tiredness and stress, because I'm the main childcare provider etc. Since the pill she felt completely different. She was on the pill for about a year, but the effect has been permanent. Although having said that, there are some signs of improvement. She can feel desire about once every week or two at the moment, for which we're very grateful and hope the increase will continue.
"Deliver me from worldly dispositions, for I am born from above and destined for glory" - Valley of Vision
"They think it strange that you do not plunge with them into the same flood of dissipation" - Peter

TxGuy
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 8th, 1997

Postby TxGuy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:47 pm

That was our exact thoughts about 5 or 6 years ago when the DW and I sat down and decided to get off of these poison pills for good. We would NEVER consider her getting back on these crazy things. They side effects or just too crazy to gamble with. Best decision we ever made.
Happily together for close to 17 years!
Our empty nest is a BLAST!

HisLadybug
Blanket on a secluded beach!
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 11th, 2006

Postby HisLadybug » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:37 am

The libido drop is not always quick or noticeable. I was on the NuvaRing for 6 years, which works the same way the pill does. My libido dropped off slowly and steadily, and I didn't really notice. When I got off the ring when we were TTC I noticed in the first few months that I felt completely different. I told DH I'm not going back on it ever again!

I'm not going to go so far as to call it evil. As with every medical intervention and medication, it's wise to count the cost and do your research before making the decision.
Sweet like candy to my soul
Sweet you rock and sweet you roll
lost for you
I'm so lost for you
-Dave Matthews band

facetoface
California King

Postby facetoface » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:46 pm

One of my great regrets was going on the Pill when I got married. It most certainly dampened my libido - even for many years after going off of it.
When I had my physical before getting married, it was really the only option presented to me. The diaphragm was discounted very strongly (and many years later, I discovered that it didn't work effectively for me) and natural family planning (lol - that was immediately discounted by the dr). So, we used the pill for 2 years and it was a big mistake for us.
Last edited by facetoface on Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bestillandknow
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): October 19th, 1997

Postby bestillandknow » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:21 am

There are some natural ways of helping your endocrine system heal and rebalance. One thing that comes to mind is chasteberry (or vitex). Of course, diet and exercise also help the body heal. The Schwarzbein Principle II is another thing I've found to really help rebalance hormones. After my latest baby, my body was really out of whack. Doing TSP along with a herb combo from my midwife really helped straighten things out. I don't know how something like that could help restore libido after being on BCP, but it may be worth looking into.
Be still and know that I am God.
(formerly known as Whitewatermama)

Job29Man
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 2nd, 1980

Postby Job29Man » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:57 am

I have created four polls about the Pill in the Poll Section. Two are for wives to answer. Two are for husbands to answer. If interested please respond.
Wanting to become like Job, as described in the Bible, the book of Job chapter 29. Hence the screen name.

Maneo
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 28th, 2011

Postby Maneo » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:27 am

Tigerfan87 wrote:Seriously... evil. If it weren't for Christian ethics I'd want to sue for emotional damages or something crazy like that.

So my wife and I have been using the pill since we got married so we didn't really have anything to compare the experience to and we thought the common consensus was that it was the easiest, safest, best option out there. My wife was on the lowest dosage possible. Recently my wife started having heart palpitations which we found out were being caused by the unnatural hormones in her body so we decided for her sake it would be good to go off the pill and try some other methods out.

We stopped using the pill 2 weeks ago and in the last couple of days (24 hours) had sex 6 times! Are you kidding me right now?! My wife has turned into a teenage guy except has no fear of being incarcerated for pursuing that desire. My wife has always been faithful to serve me sexually through our marriage, but that's what its always felt like; her meeting my needs. What a joy its been feeling like it's mutual or even reversed!

Not only is the drive up but my wife would also get sore and sex would become painful quickly for her... not at all the case now. She is producing more lubricant and is able to get more fully aroused and she hasn't gotten sore at all. She also has more energy and has been working out more and finally, her heart palpitations have stopped. It has been pretty much terrific.

In summary, the pill is evil and I want the last 4 years of our marriage back to do over.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

For some the pill works. For others the pill does not work. It is difficult to generalize based on the experience in one case. My DW used the pill with no bad side effects nor diminishment of her drive or desire or pleasure. But I would not presume to generalize her experience to others nor could I say, based only on our experience, that the pill is all good. Likewise, one cannot say the pill is all bad based on one situation.

InGodsGrace
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 9th, 1999

Postby InGodsGrace » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:42 am

Considering the fact thatbIF I took the pill, it could cause blood clots due to a blood disorder, andmany, many other people other have had blood clots and who knows how many have died. I would say that the pill more bad than good. And that's not even taking into account how many miscarriages the pill has caused.

txtwindad
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 13th, 1983

Postby txtwindad » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:46 am

InGodsGrace wrote:Considering the fact thatbIF I took the pill, it could cause blood clots due to a blood disorder, andmany, many other people other have had blood clots and who knows how many have died. I would say that the pill more bad than good. And that's not even taking into account how many miscarriages the pill has caused.

Blood clots are certainly something tracked by the FDA. Because of them the pill is contraindicated in some women. For the rest the incidence is quite low. But it is a side effect in the warnings. I think we are over reacting her a bit. Not meaning you specifically IGG, but in general. We don't have to paint the pill as evil to recognize it has significant risks and shouldn't be jumped into lightly.
 "Baby, Baby go and fetch some water,
Pour it on me so's I don't melt.
Can't you see you've got me burnin' hotter
Than a black vinyl car seat in ..." Two Tons of Steel

Maneo
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 28th, 2011

Postby Maneo » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:18 pm

txtwindad wrote:
InGodsGrace wrote:Considering the fact thatbIF I took the pill, it could cause blood clots due to a blood disorder, andmany, many other people other have had blood clots and who knows how many have died. I would say that the pill more bad than good. And that's not even taking into account how many miscarriages the pill has caused.

Blood clots are certainly something tracked by the FDA. Because of them the pill is contraindicated in some women. For the rest the incidence is quite low. But it is a side effect in the warnings. I think we are over reacting her a bit. Not meaning you specifically IGG, but in general. We don't have to paint the pill as evil to recognize it has significant risks and shouldn't be jumped into lightly.

I don't know of a medicine today, prescription or over-the-counter, that doesn't include a number of warnings and cautions and indications that people with certain conditions should either not use or use under a doctor's care. At the same time all those medicines can do wonderful things for others.
I am allergic to penicillin but would not dream of condemning it for use by the many it helps.

InGodsGrace
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 9th, 1999

Postby InGodsGrace » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:28 pm

The HUGE problem I have with the pill, it's so widely used and prescribed. How many times is it prescribed when it should not have been? How thorough are these dr's/NP etc being with a pt's hx? Do they even ask if there is a hx of blood clots in the family? I was not even asked. I brought it up in passing, the mom had taken the pill and had issues with it. I went for a simple blood test and turns out that more than likely my mom had the same disorder. As it is genetic.

Now I see commercials for Yaz that ask if you were taking Yaz and developed blood clots to call a certain number.

All those UNNATURAL extra hormones are not good and certainly not healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crown of Iron
On the floor
Date of your marriage (past or future): November 2nd, 1985

Postby Crown of Iron » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:02 pm

Sorry to beat this nearly dead horse, but to add insult to injury, the pill doubles the risk of glaucoma:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... -risk.html

mamame

Postby mamame » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:52 am

Re blood clots: the incidence is high enough that if we have a woman of childrearing years present with sudden chest pain one of the first questions we are going to ask is if they use hormonal birth control. If they do - pulmonary embolism jumps to the top tier of the differential.
If im seeing a patient who is decompensating in the hospital its one of the first things I want to know. It can be enough to send them for emergent CT scan and initiate rule out PE protocol.

....posted from phone

Return to “Birth Control”