Looking for options

What's available, do's and don'ts.
hands
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 18th, 2013

Looking for options

Postby hands » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:04 am

My husband and I are planning on trying to start our family in August of 2014. Yay!

I am currently on the pill for birth control and my prescription runs out in March. I would like to try a different form of bc once my script runs out because I'm pretty sure the pill makes me crazy. (At least I hope its the pill and I'm not naturally this crazy...lol)

Plus I think it'd be good to be off the pill for a few months so my body can adjust before we start trying for a baby.

I'm thinking about NFP or something along those lines but I'm concerned about trying to do that coming off the pill. A surprise baby before August wouldn't be the end of the world but I'm trying to lose some weight and we have some big decisions regarding jobs and what city we will be living in that we'd like to deal with before a pregnancy.

The idea of condoms for 5 months is not really appealing to me since I don't like how they feel, but they seem like the easiest option.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

George B.
On the floor
Date of your marriage (past or future): July 20th, 1996

Re: Looking for options

Postby George B. » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:19 am

I'd suggest a combo of FAM plus condoms. Get a good computer program to chart your cycle (or an app) (there are lots out there. As you come off the pill, start charting your cycle. You'll want several months with of cycles charted before you start trusting when you're fertile or not. You'll probably need to use condoms or something else (like a diaphragm) until you're confident with how your cycles look, particularly if they're irregular.

Condoms aren't as bad as they used to be. They keep improving them and there's a wide variety out there. I'd suggest buying a variety pack from an online retailer to sample a number of different types and sizes. One thing that will help is making sure you have the right fit for your man: it should fit snugly but not too tight, and be able to unroll all the way down the shaft. There are types out there now which feel almost like you're wearing nothing and transmit body heat very well.

Feel free to ask more questions. We did this combo for many years and it worked very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On sex: "Neither men nor women will be asked to throw away the weapon they have used victoriously. It is the beaten and the fugitives who throw away their swords. The conquerors sheathe theirs and retain them."-C.S. Lewis

hands
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 18th, 2013

Postby hands » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:47 pm

I'm thinking I'll look into FAM. It seems like the way to go and it should be helpful to understand my cycles once we start trying to get pregnant.

George B.
On the floor
Date of your marriage (past or future): July 20th, 1996

Postby George B. » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:06 pm

Great. Let us know if you have any questions about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On sex: "Neither men nor women will be asked to throw away the weapon they have used victoriously. It is the beaten and the fugitives who throw away their swords. The conquerors sheathe theirs and retain them."-C.S. Lewis

missunique
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 25th, 2010

Postby missunique » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:00 am

I highly recommend getting an instructor to teach you FAM, coming off the pill makes your cycle a bit wacky as your hormones settle back into natural patterns so you're not going to have textbook cycles for a few months. I think the TCOYF book discusses coming off the pill but you can't beat one to one instruction.

Return to “Birth Control”