Is FAM no longer a good idea.

What's available, do's and don'ts.
missunique
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 25th, 2010

Re: Is FAM no longer a good idea.

Postby missunique » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:20 am

ophelia wrote:
missunique wrote:Counting days isn't reliable if your cycle is becoming irregular.

I know. That's why I'm wondering if it's time to throw in the towel. It is very unappealing to me to have to avoid sex or use protection for the majority of my cycle. If I have a short cycle, which I normally do, then dh gets to go condom free for about 6 days :(

Thank you for all the links BTW.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but you seem to be under the impression that counting days is the most reliable way of judging fertility? That's not really FAM, because FAM involves determining fertility on a day to day basis. If your cycles are getting irregular then you need to either change methods (throw in the towel as you said) or take classes (I would suggest either Billings or Creighton) to help you to determine your mucus patterns reliably. They usually say it takes a minimum of 3 months of cycle tracking with an instructor to be able to confidently interpret your cycles so it does take a commitment.

ophelia
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 20th, 2004

Postby ophelia » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:49 pm

missunique wrote:Forgive me if I'm wrong, but you seem to be under the impression that counting days is the most reliable way of judging fertility?

I don't think it is the most reliable way to judge fertility. :D
I'm just getting frustrated with how short our condom free window is becoming. The Billings method requires that you only have sex in the evenings and not during your period because you can't detect mucus if it's mixed with menstruation . So, I will only have about 6 days tops to not use condoms if I wait until 2 days after ovulation.

I understand that a pattern needs to be established. I was set to start using test sticks again to determine if there is still a pattern BUT I started my period today. 10 days early. :x The good news is that I have a previously scheduled GYN appointment tomorrow so hopefully she'll help me figure out what's going on.
Come on darling
There's a war on our TV
But it's alright
In our bedrooms we are free
Deep in the guts of me
I Love You Violently
Until the dawn's early light.
This is why we fight~Fast Romantics

angellove
Blanket on a secluded beach!
Date of your marriage (past or future): March 20th, 1990

Postby angellove » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:10 pm

So, I will only have about 6 days tops to not use condoms if I wait until 2 days after ovulation.

The way that I'm reading that, your LP (luteal phase -- after ovulation) is 8 days in length, is that right? If so, that is really short.

ophelia
Under the stars

Postby ophelia » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:12 pm

That's about right angellove. It's a bummer.
It used to be 10 days but its getting shorter. PMS starts on ovulation day I think.

ETA (again): This makes me wonder if I would only be able to have sex about a week per cycle if I was Catholic and followed the Billings method. Would that be right? Not trying to start a war. Just curious.
Come on darling
There's a war on our TV
But it's alright
Deep in the guts of me
I Love You Violently

ophelia
Under the stars

Postby ophelia » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:44 pm

OK so I went to see my OB/GYN today.
She wants to put me on a low dose HBC. I have mixed feelings about this. You hear so much negative stuff about it (especially here) and I wanted to try and be as natural as possible for as long as possible. OTOH, I don't have qualms about taking thyroid meds or dh taking T so I think my feelings about HBC are a little unfair.

The hope is that the pill will help regulate my cycle a bit. She tells me that it shouldn't adversely effect my libido so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. It is not intended to be birth control. I'm going to try it for three months and then see her for a check up.
Come on darling
There's a war on our TV
But it's alright
Deep in the guts of me
I Love You Violently

The Twit
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 14th, 1993

Postby The Twit » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:55 pm

I can only talk from my experiance with my DW. DWs doc put her on HBC to regulate her cycle, to reduce her constant UTIs-yeast infection cycle, and to prevent the ovarian cysts she was getting every couple months. The HBC did regulate her period back to the normal 28 days and she has not been getting other symptoms and signs of the cysts. I have not noticed any change to libido. How can one go any lower than no libido? But all in all the HBC treatment has worked. One problem is that we do notice the one week without hormones she gets some symptoms of early stage UTIs which tells us her UTIs are hormonal. We are pleased with how the HBC is working. So I would give the plan a thumbs up.

ophelia
Under the stars

Postby ophelia » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:15 pm

TheTwit wrote:I have not noticed any change to libido. How can one go any lower than no libido?

:shock: Well at least you know it's not the pill.

I was thinking about your wife's situation when I decided to try the pill. I have been dealing with out of whack hormones for awhile now and I've tried a myriad of natural treatments. I brought a lot of lab results for the doc to look at so it's not like she was working with nothing. Hopefully a low dose pill will help to staunch the effects of too much testosterone; which is a problem I have. I don't have PCOS BTW. If anything, my libido had been too high and I would welcome the relief of not having to constantly push lustful thoughts out of my mind.
Come on darling
There's a war on our TV
But it's alright
Deep in the guts of me
I Love You Violently

The Twit
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 14th, 1993

Postby The Twit » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:12 am

Like you using the pill was the last thing DW wanted to use. Both of us try keep our food or substances about are one to two steps away from the raw original plant or animal. DW does have to take a pill for her heart issue so she has to watch what she intakes along with her gall bladder being removed a few years ago. She switched doctors a few years ago because her old doc would not do anything for her. She asked around with all of the other homeschool mothers in the homeschool groups and they all recommended this one Christian doctor in the area. The great news is he was in our plans. The new doc immediately ran a complete blood work up including hormones and all other items they check for. They talked about the use of the pill and other methods. They found the natural methods worked very lightly so they decided that the pill would be the next item to experiment. The trial run started for 6 months and then re evaluated. It was working , so the doc continues the follow up every 6 months and an annual complete physical. I think this is the best to keep their eye on what is going on. And yes she is on one of the lowest dosages.

my prayers are without and your doctor. Keep working with her and keep an eye on your body. My DW keeps a diary of what her body is doing and all of the different things going on physically. I will recommend keeping a daily diary for a minimum of 6 months after starting the treatment. You then can take that into the doctor and she can have more details of the progress. In fact take notes of what is going on right now. This also includes documenting your libido.

Note I have figured out for my wife her libido is 95% mental and I have to work daily on stimulating that part of her psyche.

angellove

Postby angellove » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:17 am

Several years ago, I started having problems with my cycle as well -- my periods became very heavy and long. So, I went to my CNM and talked with her about it. Her recommendations were either OCP's or a hormonal IUD. Because of my own medical history, emotions, and spiritual beliefs, neither option was something that I could do. After a few years, I found something that actually helps a bit and makes things more manageable for me. In my early adult years, I had very irregular cycles, probably due to low body fat, but when I got married, I was very glad that I had OCP's to regulate my cycle.

That's one of the reasons that I don't like the automatic assumption that a lot of Christians make about women who choose to use birth control pills; there are a lot of non-contraceptive uses for them.

One question, though. You mentioned that you had a list of your hormonal levels -- how is your progesterone/estrogen balance?

ophelia
Under the stars

Postby ophelia » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:38 am

angellove wrote:One question, though. You mentioned that you had a list of your hormonal levels -- how is your progesterone/estrogen balance?

I don't have the paperwork with me right now. I left it at the office. I do remember that my progesterone levels were low. My DHEA and T levels are very elevated and my FSH was very high and not appropriate to where it should have been in the cycle. I think it was in the "postmenopausal zone" at day 12 when the blood was drawn.
Come on darling
There's a war on our TV
But it's alright
Deep in the guts of me
I Love You Violently

angellove

Postby angellove » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:50 am

I thought that your progesterone levels might be low because a shortened lp is one of the symptoms of that problem.

ledgemoor
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 3rd, 1982

Postby ledgemoor » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:22 am

There can be significant benefits to progesterone supplimentation. John Lee has books about it.

Before starting bcp, I would see a bhrt doctor to see if there are more natural treatments.
Everything you ever wanted in life is just outside your comfort zone (Jamie Lee Curtis)

ophelia
Under the stars

Postby ophelia » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:27 am

The pill she prescribed me is Gianvi which is generic Yaz. Of course I'm reading all the horror stories about Yaz and am starting to panic. I fall outside of the safe guidelines in a few areas as well. Heart arrhythmia, migrains, frequent use of NSAIDS for fibromyalgia, over 35 etc. My doctor is aware of these. At the same time, I suffer from PMDD, acne, vaginal dryness and heavy bleeding which the pill is supposed to help with. I guess I just need to pray that it would be obvious quickly if I need to stop taking them.

Ledge, I cannot afford a bhrt doctor right now. If I had a few grand there are several bills that would need to be paid off first. If I were in a different situation financially, that would be the first place I would go. Dh would be going too.
Come on darling
There's a war on our TV
But it's alright
Deep in the guts of me
I Love You Violently

ophelia
Under the stars

Postby ophelia » Sat May 03, 2014 10:20 am

Well I've been on the BCP for a week now. I know I know it's too early to really judge anything. I just wanted to report that I haven't lost my libido yet. :wink: Also, I am starving all. the. time. I can't tell if it's related to the pill or other hormonal things. I think I might be swinging hyper.
Come on darling
There's a war on our TV
But it's alright
Deep in the guts of me
I Love You Violently

InGodsGrace
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 9th, 1999

Postby InGodsGrace » Sat May 03, 2014 11:32 am

ophelia wrote:Well I've been on the BCP for a week now. I know I know it's too early to really judge anything. I just wanted to report that I haven't lost my libido yet. :wink: Also, I am starving all. the. time. I can't tell if it's related to the pill or other hormonal things. I think I might be swinging hyper.

Well being hungry is probably why the dr's say women on HBC gain weight. I want to say 10-15 lbs

ophelia
Under the stars

Postby ophelia » Sat May 03, 2014 7:21 pm

I have spent the day exhausted and with the shakes. My heart is beating a mile a minute. I'm suspecting hypoglycemia. :x The hunger is bad too. Like I can't sleep bad.
I have managed to just stay on this side of insulin resistance and diabetes for the last decade and I am not going down because of the pill. I'm calling and asking for progesterone cream on Monday.
Come on darling
There's a war on our TV
But it's alright
Deep in the guts of me
I Love You Violently

ledgemoor
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 3rd, 1982

Postby ledgemoor » Sun May 04, 2014 6:41 am

You can get progesterone OTC. GNC would have it. Choose a brand that says how many mg per tablespoon or whatever it contains so you know what dosage you are getting.

For BC, check out a diaphragm. They were very popular back in the day. It wouldn't surprise me if they make a comeback now that people are becoming more aware of the problems with hormonal BC.
Everything you ever wanted in life is just outside your comfort zone (Jamie Lee Curtis)

ophelia
Under the stars

Postby ophelia » Mon May 05, 2014 9:16 am

I am going to post in the prayer request section I think but I wanted to mention that I have stopped the HBC and I am still feeling horrible.
I can't stop shaking, my head is killing me, I am exhausted.
Come on darling
There's a war on our TV
But it's alright
Deep in the guts of me
I Love You Violently

Return to “Birth Control”