Tubal Ligation -- Impact on Sex Drive?

What's available, do's and don'ts.
RepentingDad
Twin size
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 31st, 2005

Postby RepentingDad » Fri May 16, 2014 12:52 pm

Greetings all, I've read a lot but contribute little here on TMB. I have a question I was hoping to hear some experience or wisdom on... My wife and I are expecting our second child and he/she will come by c-section (as did our first). She wants to have a tubal as part of the operation to prevent future pregnancies for several reasons: the riskiness of the c-section deliveries she requires, her age, and our desire to not have any more kids (among others). Doc is willing as tubes will be open and available during the c-section anyways but he wants us to be SURE SURE.

My question is this. Does tubal affect sex drive at all in anyone's experience? I know that other forms of birth control have a variety of impacts (or purported impacts) but what for those who have done this -- what changes have you experienced if any?

Thanks much!!

txtwindad
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 13th, 1983

Re: Tubal Ligation -- Impact on Sex Drive?

Postby txtwindad » Fri May 16, 2014 1:03 pm

There is no mechanism whereby drive should be affected by a tubal ligation. There is no hormone change, it just a simple mechanical blockage that doesn't allow the sperm to reach the egg. It's about as simple and problem free as any birth control could possibly be. At least it is since the doc is already in there anyway for the c-section.
 "Baby, Baby go and fetch some water,
Pour it on me so's I don't melt.
Can't you see you've got me burnin' hotter
Than a black vinyl car seat in ..." Two Tons of Steel

happywifeforlife
Twin size

Postby happywifeforlife » Fri May 16, 2014 1:30 pm

I went this route 15 years ago after 3 C-sections in 4 years... I wouldn't do it again but not because of impact on my sex life. I did develop scar tissue (adhesions) as a result of my c-sections and the tubal ligation and it has a mild negative impact as there is more discomfort than I'd like at certain times but mostly I've been happy :)

landschooner
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 17th, 1991

Postby landschooner » Fri May 16, 2014 2:31 pm

If anything it helped my wife's drive, which is low and still is, but the removal of the concern about birth control or natural family planning timing and condoms and all that was rather liberating for her. She has mentioned it many times that it's nice not to have to worry about it at all anymore. Again, not that her desire increased, but it was an area of concern and some stress that no longer exists. Anything to alleviate that stress is good in my marriage.

LS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

happilymarriedkate
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 9th, 1992

Postby happilymarriedkate » Sat May 17, 2014 5:37 am

Hello, Finnsdad. Congratulations on baby #2! I had 3 c-sections in 6.5 years. I was one month from age 31 when I had our youngest. We decided to have a tubal as the access was available and a separate surgery would not be needed. (We would not have had a tubal if a separate surgery was needed. DH would have had a vasectomy.) In any case, it has been nearly 12 years since my tubal and I have had no issues with sex drive whatsoever. I have said this several times on this board...in 22 years married, I have said "not now" to DH twice. Both of those times were during early pregnancy due to symptoms of nausea, etc. We have an active, fulfilling sex life. We are now, very glad that we had the papers signed and ready to go for that c-section because there were moderate complications due to scar tissue from the previous two c-sections. Infact, during the surgery the Dr commented that he definitely thought having a fourth baby would have been dangerous for me given the complications. Prior to deciding to have a tubal, DH and I prayed, talked at length with my OB and sought counsel from others who had been through it.
~HM Kate

RepentingDad
Twin size
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 31st, 2005

Postby RepentingDad » Mon May 19, 2014 5:27 pm

Thank you all very much for the well wishes and kindness!!
Your tips and anecdotes are super helpful and informative. Much appreciated!!!

justamom
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): November 23rd, 1986

Postby justamom » Tue May 20, 2014 1:34 pm

I had 3 c-sections and they did tubal on last one. Wouldn't have it any other way. No problems with sex drive at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

datepalm
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): October 18th, 1980

Postby datepalm » Thu May 22, 2014 11:46 am

I had a tubal. If anything, it ramped up my drive, for psychological reasons (no more "will i get pregnant?" distractions), since pregnancy happened very easily for us.
What if God's primary intent for your marriage isn't to make you happy...but to make you holy?
--Gary Thomas (Sacred Marriage)

Return to “Birth Control”