Do you or does your wife use Mirena for BC?

What's available, do's and don'ts.
dadof5
Twin size
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 9th, 1990

Do you or does your wife use Mirena for BC?

Postby dadof5 » Sun May 18, 2014 4:57 pm

DW and I are looking at our BC options and her doctor mentioned Mirena as a good possibility. She is 49 and in good health. We have had 5 children...I had a vasectomy after #4 was born. DD died of SIDS a few months later and I ended up eventually having a reversal. #5 was born and is now 12. We do not intend to have any more. DW was on the pill for several years and she has stopped taking it per doctors recommendations. We have been using condoms since, but have been considering other options. Because of the nature of my reversal, we do not want to consider a second vasectomy (a special surgery process had to be used and doing a second vasectomy would be more involved than just snipping and tying the tubes). She has also just started some menopausal symptoms.

So much for my background info.... If you have experience with it (good or bad), I'd like to know so we can make an educated decision in considering it.

Thanks in advance!

rn
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 13th, 1999

Re: Do you or does your wife use Mirena for BC?

Postby rn » Sun May 18, 2014 10:24 pm

I have one and am happy with it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Dgenerous
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): February 19th, 2005

Postby Dgenerous » Tue May 20, 2014 5:21 pm

I'm considering this on my doctor's recommendation. Interested in the replies. :)
I have found the one whom my soul loves.

ophelia
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 20th, 2004

Postby ophelia » Wed May 21, 2014 11:33 am

I have had 4 C-sections myself and have also been searching for good birth control. My doctor pushed hard for me to try it after #2 was born. From my understanding, Mirena carries all the pros and cons that you find with BCP's. From what I understand, there is a small risk of not allowing implantation of a fertilized egg.
Come on darling
There's a war on our TV
But it's alright
In our bedrooms we are free
Deep in the guts of me
I Love You Violently
Until the dawn's early light.
This is why we fight~Fast Romantics

rn
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 13th, 1999

Postby rn » Wed May 21, 2014 11:53 am

I was told its progesterone only, and progesterone can't hurt you.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

beautyfromashes
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 20th, 2004

Postby beautyfromashes » Wed May 21, 2014 12:04 pm

No personal experience, but I have a friend on it who loves it. We've talked about it quite a bit, and she's experience none of the negative side effects and loves the peace of mind it gives her. If you do a search, there have been a couple threads here on it. There's also the full prescribing information from Bayer's site here.
Deep intimacy always requires work, acceptance, and forgiveness. Lots of it. ~~ Linda Dillow

Job29Man
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 2nd, 1980

Postby Job29Man » Wed May 21, 2014 2:09 pm

dadof5 wrote:She is 49 and in good health... She has also just started some menopausal symptoms.

49... menopause...
She will be getting into a shift in her hormones now naturally. Menopause is God's way of saying "you are done having children" only it takes a few years to complete the process. My advice is don't add any more hormonal variables to her health. Let God do it now through natural processes. Be patient.
Wanting to become like Job, as described in the Bible, the book of Job chapter 29. Hence the screen name.

ophelia
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 20th, 2004

Postby ophelia » Wed May 21, 2014 2:37 pm

I know these subjects can get very touchy and I am NOT judging anyone who uses Mirena. I just want to clarify that Bayer does not consider fertilization to be pregnancy. So, when they say that their product prevents pregnancy, they only have to maintain that their product prevents a fertilized egg from implanting. Usually the egg doesn't get fertilized in the first place but it can happen. Mirena was not made to prohibit ovulation.
Come on darling
There's a war on our TV
But it's alright
In our bedrooms we are free
Deep in the guts of me
I Love You Violently
Until the dawn's early light.
This is why we fight~Fast Romantics

Big Tymer
Double
Date of your marriage (past or future): July 27th, 2012

Postby Big Tymer » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:50 am

My wife got the Mirena 3 months before our marriage. We waited until the wedding night, but the purpose of putting it in early is because it takes a while to come into full effect. She still experienced a period for the first 6 months, but was completely random. After that, she's had no period at all. She has had no real negative side effects, besides the sporadic period for the first 6 months. I'd recommend it to any couple. Its an easy one-time thing.

dc9
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): July 21st, 2001

Postby dc9 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:20 am

My DW has one since 4 years. She (and I) think it's the best she (we) have ever used. We have used condoms, different pills and FAM.

The pills made her moody and totally killed her sexual desire.
The condoms were a hassle and the wonderful sensation when I was inside her was greatly reduced for both of us.
The FAM method was a lot of work and always felt a bit unsafe.

The Mirena is the best that has happened for us. Nothing get "between us" when we ML, DW has no period, her desire is about the same all the time of the month, only a very small amount of hormones are expelled locally and does not have the same health effect as ordinary pills and it feels very safe. I can feel the threads from it sometimes (very rare) in certain positions as my penis come in contact with the cervix, but it does not feel any more than a little rough since the area is naturally very lubricated. :wink:

We recommend it if you are not planning to make a baby for some time!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dgenerous
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): February 19th, 2005

Postby Dgenerous » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:15 pm

I attempted to have the Mirena implanted. Two doctors. Three attempts. They couldn't do it. Just an FYI that sometimes it isn't successful and it's incredibly painful to attempt it in that case. I have a very high tolerance for pain, and the attempt to implant the Mirena brought me to tears.
I have found the one whom my soul loves.

Return to “Birth Control”