Diaphragms? *Update*

What's available, do's and don'ts.
beautyfromashes
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 20th, 2004

Diaphragms? *Update*

Postby beautyfromashes » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:55 am

Does anyone in the US have experience with diaphragms? I decided to get one, and it's turning into a huge hassle. It was a big hassle to find a doctor that would fit one, and now that I have the prescription, I can't find a pharmacy that can fill it. Does anyone know where you can find them? Should I just give up and find another option?
Deep intimacy always requires work, acceptance, and forgiveness. Lots of it. ~~ Linda Dillow

HisLadybug
Blanket on a secluded beach!
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 11th, 2006

Re: Diaphragms?

Postby HisLadybug » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:33 pm

I'm surprised you're having trouble with this. I was fitted by my nurse practitioner. I'm not sure what else to recommend. I thought the diaphragm was a standard method that all OBs could provide you with. Maybe call around to a few different offices?

BTW I didn't end up using it...I lost some weight and I guess you're supposed to get fitted again if you lose 10lb. Plus the spermicide made me itch like crazy, and inserting it was about the least sexy process I could think of...

Just re-read your OP. Maybe you might have to have it filled by mail order? Our prescription drug coverage has that option. Or maybe an out-of-state pharmacy could fill it? How strange...
Sweet like candy to my soul
Sweet you rock and sweet you roll
lost for you
I'm so lost for you
-Dave Matthews band

beautyfromashes
Under the stars

Postby beautyfromashes » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:47 pm

I did end up getting it fitted by a nurse practitioner. I talked to a few OB's and they all said they weren't comfortable fitting them. I heard "I haven't done that since med school!" more than once. Even the NP who fit me said it had probably been at least 5 years since she'd done one.

As far as getting the Rx filled, it looks like my local CVS can do it. They were the only pharmacy in town (out of 7!) that told me they thought they could order it. One pharmacy even told me I'd have to go through a medical supply place, not a pharmacy. (Not true, btw.) I did find a few online suppliers, but none in the US yet. Hopefully, CVS can come through. I'd rather not pay full price, plus the extra time to ship through customs, like I'll have to, if I order from Europe or Canada.

I have difficulties with spermicide as well, which is a big reason I wanted to try the diaphragm. There are natural spermicides now that are supposed to be less irritating, but they're not approved for use without another barrier, like condoms, diaphragm, or cervical cap.
Deep intimacy always requires work, acceptance, and forgiveness. Lots of it. ~~ Linda Dillow

facetoface
California King

Postby facetoface » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:01 pm

I also had a hard time finding a pharmacy that could fill my diaphragm prescription. I also had to call quite a few before finding one. Quite a hassle.

Leah
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): November 3rd, 1979

Postby Leah » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:52 pm

You might want to check with your county health department. They may have what you need. Your tax dollars at work, and all.
Leah

“I have learned now that while those who speak about one's miseries usually hurt, those who keep silence hurt more.”--C.S. Lewis

TMB Copyright and Fair Use

C_Brown
Fell out of ...
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 17th, 1984

Postby C_Brown » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:23 pm

We used that for a while. DW found it a bit awkward to put in but after that it was like it wasn`t there. I liked not having anything between DW and I but a couple of times I was in so deep that I was rubbing on the edge of it the friction resulted in a painful spot where you don`t want a painful spot, so be sure to use lube if that might be an issue.
So yes, I know that love is unconditional. But I also know that it can be unpredictable, unexpected, uncontrollable, unbearable and strangely easy to mistake for loathing -- Yvaine (in the movie Stardust)

WifeyRJG
Twin size
Date of your marriage (past or future): January 7th, 2012

Postby WifeyRJG » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:05 pm

I see that you got one finally... So I'm just posting to sympathize. I first got an account on here to ask the same question. The first OBGYN I tried looked at me like I was from mars when I asked about a diaphragm. Several helpful TMB members suggested I try a midwife. I found one who would fit a FemCap, so I went with that. It never stayed in place properly though due to my tilted cervix, so we gave up and went back to condoms. I think it depends what part of the country you are in. My friend in the midwest had no trouble at all getting a diaphragm, but East Texas is completely different. There are not many independent thinkers here to challenge the accepted pill-or-nothing mentality.

beautyfromashes
Under the stars

Postby beautyfromashes » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:13 pm

I actually haven't gotten it yet. After a week, CVS also called to tell me they couldn't order it either. I haven't had any luck finding an online source in the US, so it looks like I'll be ordering from a European company online, since diaphragms are available over the counter there. I'll probably order the new Caya, which is one-size-fits-most, so I'll have less chance of fit issues.

I've tried finding a midwife, but the only midwifes in my area are the unlicensed kind. The woman who fit me was actually a nurse practicioner. I live in the rural-ish Southeast, so that's probably part of my problem. Just about every woman I know is either on the pill, sterilized, or has an IUD. Most people don't even consider anything else.

Job29Man
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 2nd, 1980

Postby Job29Man » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:42 am

I had no idea diaphragms had become so passe'!
So are all the docs pushing hormones and IUDs now? :shock:

We used the diaphragm for years. Stopped using spermicide eventually, and it was still effective without it. With all of Sarah's deliveries C-sections it was important to give her body healing time between babies.
Wanting to become like Job, as described in the Bible, the book of Job chapter 29. Hence the screen name.

mamame

Postby mamame » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:16 pm

I think it's more about what people are asking for than what doctors are pushing.

Nova
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): November 3rd, 2012

Postby Nova » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:59 am

I think it's a regional thing. We live in southern California and we couldn't find anywhere locally that sold diaphragms. In our pre-wedding discussions, we can decided on that as out primary form of birth control, but after a little while of searching, we finally had to settle on condoms. Diaphragms may be more common in other areas.
Please don't think I'm being aggressive just because I use strong language. If I'm posting on your thread, it's because I care.

ophelia
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 20th, 2004

Postby ophelia » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:27 pm

I know it's an old thread but I wanted to add that I went through the same fruitless search several years ago after #1 was born. CVS was the only pharmacy that would order it. I live in the Midwest btw. The Dr. gave me the same blank expression when I asked about one. He was asking his staff to find his sizing kit in the attic somewhere and to blow the dust off it.

In the end I decided against it.
Come on darling
There's a war on our TV
But it's alright
In our bedrooms we are free
Deep in the guts of me
I Love You Violently
Until the dawn's early light.
This is why we fight~Fast Romantics

beautyfromashes
Under the stars

Postby beautyfromashes » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:42 pm

I'm still planning on getting one. It's just a tad expensive and the last couple months have been filled with lots of unexpected expenses. In the meantime, we're doing FAM and condoms. Not our favorite, by any means.

ophelia
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 20th, 2004

Postby ophelia » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:15 pm

That is the same method we settled on for the last four years.

If you finally get your hands on one and find a good spermicide, I would love to know how it works out for you.
Come on darling
There's a war on our TV
But it's alright
In our bedrooms we are free
Deep in the guts of me
I Love You Violently
Until the dawn's early light.
This is why we fight~Fast Romantics

beautyfromashes
Under the stars

Postby beautyfromashes » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:28 pm

So four and a half months after my fitting, I finally got my diaphragm! After a lot of Googling, phone calls, and frustration, I ended up ordering the Caya diaphragm from an pharmacy based in Germany. I was a bit leery of the idea, but I received my order in about a week, with no problems. It was a bit pricey ($60, compared to the free birth control I could get here with my insurance), but it's good for 2 years. It also comes with an instructional DVD, to help with insertion and positioning. (Of the diaphragm! That's not supposed to sound as bad as it does. :oops: )

I'm hoping to test it out tonight, so I'll have a report soon on how it works.

sunshine_girl
Twin size
Date of your marriage (past or future): July 26th, 2014

Re: Diaphragms? *Update*

Postby sunshine_girl » Sat May 09, 2015 9:31 am

Wanted to comment for others trying to figure this out... I got fitted for a diaphragm from my OBGYN a few weeks ago. She gave me a prescription, but after calling about 25 different pharmacies and speaking to a few helpful people, I found out that the diaphragm she fitted me for has been discontinued. If you all are running into the same issue, it's not that pharmacies just won't work with you, but rather that is has been completely discontinued(Ortho All Flex is the brand). The Ortho All Flex was discontinued early 2014. So when people tell you they had no problem getting it, it was likely because it hadn't been discontinued yet!

I'm thinking of trying to order the Caya diaphragm from Europe but was wondering if anyone has had a good experience purchasing one from overseas? I'm a little bit leery of these websites that say they sell them....

It's appalling to me that there is barely a good option for a diaphragm available in the US!

beautyfromashes
Under the stars

Postby beautyfromashes » Sat May 09, 2015 2:46 pm

I ordered the Caya from barriermethods.com. It's in Germany, so I was a bit nervous. But is an actual brick and mortar pharmacy, and I used Paypal, so I had some recourse if it didn't work. I got my order sooner than expected, and I've been very happy with it.

The Caya is in the process of being approved by the FDA for sale in the US, but they estimate it'll be at least another year before you can actually purchase one.

young+sillydaddy
Twin size
Date of your marriage (past or future): April 13th, 2009

Diaphragm

Postby young+sillydaddy » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:43 pm

Has anyone tried the Caya diaphragm?

My DW is going to call a healthcare provider to see if she can get a prescription (of course you have to talk to a provider first). We don't even know if this is an option because of DW having a retroverted uterus but I guess the healthcare provider can give advice on that. It supposedly "is the first new diaphragm design to enter the US market in over 50 years". It says it's got a 94% success rate which we are comfortable with. I know this is like barely on the market in the U.S. but maybe some people can give advice on using it or another style? Anyone use a diaphragm with a retroverted uterus? We would like to use this for maybe six months before trying for another kiddo.

Google "the guardian diaphragm", or "jezebel vintage birth control", and "Caya diaphragm". I don't have permission to post the links but I figured if you hadn't heard of it those were recent articles I had come across. We just miss the intimacy of NFP and going condom free but our lady comp is a hassle to use with my wife exclusively BF'ing. I want the Caya to be a hormone free method for us to use but we will see if its even possible to get as a prescription.

FoxluvsBunny
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 23rd, 2015

Postby FoxluvsBunny » Mon May 16, 2016 6:34 am

I wanted to post this here as I feel like it might be a good resource to some:
http://buydiaphragms.com

I found this website, where we plan to order a diaphragm, and they have everything related to diaphragms from regular to Caya (which i cannot have because i was fitted and am a 60, and Cayas are 1 size fits (almost) all, beginning at 65). We tried to get one a while ago, but couldn't find a place to fill the prescription, so like others we dropped it, did condoms then pulling out, and we are dissatisfied. i'd love to do nothing contraceptive wise as I love sex and i love babies, but it's on our hearts to not try to make a baby yet; work on our marriage issues. Thing is that makes it harder, there are really no good options i don't want hormones or IUDs in my body, diaphragms in my size are hard to find, for him both pulling out and condoms really hinder the sensation (and in some ways intimacy)- sadly at the time i'm most into it (my fertile window); and NFP w/ complete abstinence i don't think would work for us. So they actually seem to have 60s here. As long as the site isn't a scam or something, it should be good! I'll let you guys know if the order ends up turning out well, and if it solves some of our issues. And if anyone needs a diaphragm before calling every pharmacy in your state, this site might be an easy and simple solution. Will keep ya posted :)
<3, Bunny
Just a Bunny learning everyday what it means to Love and Live Harmoniously with a Fox

But if you tame me then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world.~TLP

Return to “Birth Control”