Vasectomy and Auto-Immune Disease and Prostate Cancer

What's available, do's and don'ts.
yard1
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): February 28th, 1913

Re: Vasectomy and Auto-Immune Disease and Prostate Cancer

Postby yard1 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:09 pm

Had a vas 40 years ago. I've had prostate surgery for BPH (non cancerous prostate enlargement), fought skin probs and Chron!s disease and other autoimmune (sp) related diseases all my life. Don't see any connection. Would do it again in a heartbeat . Wish I had done it much sooner!

mamame
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.

Postby mamame » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:21 am

From the referenced study:

CONCLUSIONS In this large study, with many years of follow-up, we found no evidence that vasectomy increases the subsequent long-term risk of immune-related diseases.

mamame

Postby mamame » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:34 am

You can find a connection between anything if that's what you want to see.
The study does not show a causal relationship.

mamame

Postby mamame » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:37 pm

Are you talking about cancer or auto immune disease?

There are very few absolutely known things in medicine.
In the end you have to decide what to believe and what sits well with you. If you don't have peace about a decision, there won't be enough evidence in the world to change that.

You posted a link to a study that does not show a link between vasectomy and auto immune disease. Another poster added anecdotal evidence in agreement. You wonder if maybe there really is a link.
That makes me wonder if what you are really looking for is a reason that your dh should not have the procedure.
If you aren't fully convinced it's the best decision, I would urge you to wait. The HS may be flashing a warning light at you.

ledgemoor
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 3rd, 1982

Postby ledgemoor » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:01 pm

I have had a vasectomy for 20+ years now and no problems. It's a common thing. If there were a problem, I think there would be enough anecdotal evidence -- you wouldn't need a study to detect it. Remember too that you cannot mathematically prove causation, just correlation. A correlation could be caused by a third factor, like maybe men who choose vasectomies may tend be more promiscuous, which could be causing the cancer.

Given the choice of tying his tubes or yours, his would be the least risky and least expensive. There is a procedure (Essure) where they insert something in your fallopian tubes that causes them to scar and close off. It sounds gruesome but would be less invasive. But who's to say that there aren't long-term problems associated with that which have yet to be discovered? There's risks with everything, including getting pregnant :lol: .
Everything you ever wanted in life is just outside your comfort zone (Jamie Lee Curtis)

ledgemoor
Under the stars

Postby ledgemoor » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:53 am

Ok, since a pregnancy would be life-threatening to you, then getting your tubes tied merits more consideration. I hate to be morose, but while you don't plan your life around the worst-case scenario, these things need to be considered: Based on your marriage date, you are apparently fairly young. If you died, he may want to get remarried and have more children. And you could become a rape victim.

When I had my vasectomy, I was at the age where there would be no scenario in which I would want more children.
Everything you ever wanted in life is just outside your comfort zone (Jamie Lee Curtis)

ledgemoor
Under the stars

Postby ledgemoor » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:52 pm

I honestly don't understand the "rape victim" comment, though?

Sorry, I regret saying that. Please forgive me. Let me just say "consider all factors" and let it go at that.

wifeacacia
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 21st, 2003

Postby wifeacacia » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:35 pm

From what I have researched, the vas is going to be the procedure with the least side effects and the lowest failure rate, absent abstinence of course. Since it is very important that you not get pregnant again , it seems the way to go. Are there failures of vasectomies--sure. But the failure rate is lower even than tubals and Essure (it sounds like their spokesperson Picabo Street the Olympic skier got pregnant after the Essure procedure--not great PR).

Otherwise you are looking at about 2 decades of probably multiple forms of bc, to be really safe. (I've heard too many stories and don't trust the fairly high failure rates of any other single form of bc.) Even if you were to die and your husband want more kids in the future, a vas is more easily reversible and statistically more likely to lead to a subsequent pregnancy than reversing a tubal.

Believe me, I wish there were better options.

wifeacacia
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 21st, 2003

Postby wifeacacia » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:20 am

You might find that perimenopause is a time that is difficult to do NFP. Even Toni Weschler who "wrote the book" on NFP/FAM says that perimenopause is a very difficult time to use NFP and is the time to consider vasectomy if you really don't want a surprise baby during that time. Cycles are fluctuating so much, etc. Anyway, I was surprised to read that in her book, but grateful she was willing to be honest about the efficacy of the method during certain stages of life.

Return to “Birth Control”