BC pill cause low libido for anyone?

What's available, do's and don'ts.
themrs
Double
Date of your marriage (past or future): November 1st, 2002

BC pill cause low libido for anyone?

Postby themrs » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:31 pm

Dh and I have been married for awhile. I'm on BC pills. We're prettttty sure we're done having biological children.

My desire for sex is quite a bit lower than either of us THOUGHT it would be. When I asked my OB about it possibly being my BC pills he kind of brushed it off and thinks it is more likely my anti-depressant.

Thoughts? I don't have much hope for being able to go off the anti-depressant though I did switch to one with fewer side effects. The BC, I have to take this brand (Sprintec...other brands/types make me ill).

Did anyone experience a low libido until their DH had a vasectomy and you were able to go off pills?

OldMarriedLady
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 7th, 1983

Re: BC pill cause low libido for anyone?

Postby OldMarriedLady » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:01 pm

Yes, I experienced a low / almost non-existent libido while I was on BCP. I got my tubes tied because DH was too afraid to have a vasectomy done. Unfortunately the tubal ligation put me into menopause at 36 years old, so I had to go on hormone replacement (estrogen only). That also kept my libido low until I added testosterone to the mix and switched to bioidentical estrogen.

I have also been on antidepressants for almost 20 years now; Zoloft killed my libido completely but Wellbutrin brought it back with a vengeance. :mrgreen:
"When you love them, they drive you crazy - because they know they can."
(From the 1987 movie "Moonstruck", written by John Patrick Shanley)

facetoface
California King

Postby facetoface » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:31 pm

HOrmonal birth control pills killed my libido. I will never go back on them. For me, they were awful.

tentsofpurple
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 4th, 2004

Postby tentsofpurple » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:49 am

Yup I was on both the patch and pills after we got married and they killed my drive. I didn't realize how much of an effect they had on me until I went off of them.

Job29Man
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 2nd, 1980

Postby Job29Man » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:05 am

There is a poll that asked a similar question on TMB. It's here.
Hope you find it informative.
Wanting to become like Job, as described in the Bible, the book of Job chapter 29. Hence the screen name.

themrs
Double

Postby themrs » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:20 am

Thank you all and thank you for the link to the poll.

It sounds like the pill could easily be part of my problem. For those that have chimed in here already, may I ask what you did/do for birth control after going off the pill? My dh has been dragging his feet on getting a vasectomy (although I bet if he knew it would likely boost my libido he'd be down at the dr's office first thing tomorrow :lol: ).

cbmike
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 7th, 2013

Postby cbmike » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:41 am

Your doctor isn't necessarily wrong, though. SSRIs are known to cause sexual dysfunction in around 60% of people who take them. The research on birth control pills has been less definitive, with some studies finding the majority do not experience any change in sex drive, while others suggest rates of diminished sexual interest as high as ~85%. Most agree the issue is understudied. This variability is probably why your doctor suggested the antidepressant was more likely the culprit.

That said, if it is easier to go off of the birth control than it would be to go off (or switch) the antidepressant, then I don't see any reason not to try it.
There's one thing I know, and this is it.

Ballad
Blanket on a secluded beach!
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 4th, 2000

Postby Ballad » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:22 pm

I'm pretty sure hormonal birth control has stifled my wife's sex drive since the earliest days. That's not the mechanism that is supposed to prevent pregnancy! :lol:

Paul and Lori have a lot to say on the main TMB site as well: http://site.themarriagebed.com/biology/the-pill-ruins-sex
And what is the future, happy one?
'A sea beneath a cloudless sun;
A mighty, glorious, dazzling sea
Stretching into infinity.’

--Emily Brontë

themrs
Double

Postby themrs » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:50 pm

Ballad wrote:I'm pretty sure hormonal birth control has stifled my wife's sex drive since the earliest days. That's not the mechanism that is supposed to prevent pregnancy! :lol:

Exactly! ha

cbmike--definitely SSRIs can be a problem. Unfortunately I can't go off mine but have found one with, I think, the fewest side effects for me. Now to get off that pesky BC pill and hope to return to more of my old self.

gingeroo147
Twin size
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 28th, 2004

Postby gingeroo147 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:42 pm

Any type of hormonal birth control not only killed my libido but also made me a downright crazy person. I tried paraguard iud but my body rejected it so we're back to square one. However, my hubs had chemo as a 13 year old and is fairly certain he is sterile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh? --11th Doctor

FoxluvsBunny
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 23rd, 2015

Postby FoxluvsBunny » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:16 pm

I would start a new thread, but since it's written here, I just wanted to share some knowledge in case it helps anyone. We use the fertility awareness method for BC (charting plus barrier) and I belong to a FB group for women who use this method to avoid pregnancy. I am shocked and horrified to see the number of women who switched to this method from hormonal BC because it KILLED their sex drive. So many women stated that they not only didn't feel a desire but they became repulsed by sex. I'm not putting down HBC for everyone, but I think there should be a warning to women about this. Oh and then for many who actually want to get pregnant in a few years, I have heard many stories of it taking months for things to regulate again and then they have to take extra measures to TTC because their body was shut down for too long... Personally, I definitely feel a vast fluctuation in my sexual desire throughout my cycle, so i can see how such hormonal alterations might affect it drastically. Just wanted to put this out there for anyone struggling w/ low or no desire. Doctors often prescribe these w/out thinking, and often leave out the side effects, which for some, can profoundly affect their lives. I wish this was more well known.
Last edited by FoxluvsBunny on Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
<3, Bunny
Just a Bunny learning everyday what it means to Love and Live Harmoniously with a Fox

But if you tame me then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world.~TLP

themrs
Double

Postby themrs » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:20 pm

Update:

DH had a vasectomy and I've gone off the pill. I was also able to taper down the antidepressants. The libido is much healthier now and I attribute it partly to being off the BC, partly to lowering the antidepressants and partly to just plain coming into my own here in my 30s. :D

FoxluvsBunny
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 23rd, 2015

Postby FoxluvsBunny » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:29 pm

yayyy!!! So glad to hear that :)
<3, Bunny
Just a Bunny learning everyday what it means to Love and Live Harmoniously with a Fox

But if you tame me then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world.~TLP

Return to “Birth Control”