Abortion Potential of IUD, Implant, and BC Pills

What's available, do's and don'ts.
Job29Man
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 2nd, 1980

Abortion Potential of IUD, Implant, and BC Pills

Postby Job29Man » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:28 pm

I'm doing a bit of research on the potential for abortion by IUD, Implants (like Norplant), and Birth Control Pills. Some of you recall that last year I found...this abstract of an article in the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. I have bolded the part of the abstract that indicates that "all types of" IUDs have a significant postfertilization mechanism of action. IOW they can and do act to prevent the implantation of a fertilized egg.

So this respected secular medical journal indicates that there is NO IUD which does not also, at least in part, prevent implantation AFTER conception. If you believe that life begins at conception (and I do) then this seems to indicate that ALL IUDs have a possibly abortion-causing component.

Here's the link.

http://www.ajog.org/article/S0002-9378%2802%2900493-3/abstract

Here's the abstract.

Abstract

There are many potential mechanisms of action for the intrauterine device (IUD), which vary by type of IUD (inert, copper, or hormonal). This paper reviews the evidence for each potential mechanism of action. On the basis of available data for fertilization rates and clinical pregnancy rates, the relative contribution of mechanisms acting before or after fertilization were quantitatively estimated. These estimates indicate that, although prefertilization effects are more prominent for the copper IUD, both prefertilization and postfertilization mechanisms of action contribute significantly to the effectiveness of all types of intrauterine devices. (Am J Obstet Gynecol 2002;187:1699-708.)

One member was concerned that the article referenced was "old" (i.e. 12 years). Yet I have found nothing to soundly refute the finding yet.

So this year I'm digging again and here's what I'm finding very recently ...

Here is more information of IUD causing abortion.

From the website for The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. in FAQ184, July 2014 (Note the very recent dating of this publication. The bold and red emphases are mine.)

How does the IUD work?

Both types of IUDs work mainly by preventing fertilization of the egg by the sperm. The hormonal IUD also thickens cervical mucus, which makes it harder for sperm to enter the uterus and fertilize the egg, and keeps the lining of the uterus thin, which makes it less likely that a fertilized egg will attach to it.

=================================================

What is the birth control implant?

The birth control implant is a single flexible rod about the size of a matchstick that is inserted under the skin in the upper arm. It releases progestin into the body. It protects against pregnancy for up to 3 years.

How does the birth control implant work?

The progestin in the implant prevents pregnancy mainly by stopping ovulation. In addition, the progestin in the implant thickens cervical mucus, which makes it harder for sperm to enter the uterus and fertilize the egg. Progestin also keeps the lining of the uterus thin, making it less likely that a fertilized egg will attach to it.

And in September 2013 in FAQ 021 they publish here that...

How do birth control pills work?

Birth control pills contain hormones that prevent ovulation. These hormones also cause other changes in the body that help prevent pregnancy. The mucus in the cervix thickens, which makes it hard for sperm to enter the uterus. The lining of the uterus thins, making it less likely that a fertilized egg can attach to it.

I was informed about these last two documents by Abort73.com, at this website. Of course the 73 in their name remembers that awful day of January 22, 1973 in which the Supreme Court made the Roe v Wade decision legalizing abortion in all 50 states.
Wanting to become like Job, as described in the Bible, the book of Job chapter 29. Hence the screen name.

Nova
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): November 3rd, 2012

Re: Abortion Potential of IUD, Implant, and BC Pills

Postby Nova » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:36 pm

This is exactly the reason my wife and I decided not to go with an IUD. To us, any risk is too great.
Please don't think I'm being aggressive just because I use strong language. If I'm posting on your thread, it's because I care.

FoxluvsBunny
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 23rd, 2015

Postby FoxluvsBunny » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:03 am

Thank you Job for posting about this and for sharing this scientific research! It’s something we’ve done a lot of research and thought a lot about as well. It seems that gynos fail to mention or often even know about the possibility that these methods may prevent implantation.

Before we were married, I went to the gyno to ask about barrier methods and she was clearly trying to steer me in the direction of the methods with a higher effective rate and are more well known like IUD and BCPs (given we are very much trying to avoid for a few years- for us it’s actually more complicated than just not being ready tho we aren’t- I have an endocrine condition that would make it a probable high risk situation plus possible genetic issues- we have been advised to get this sorted out first including further testing and possible genetic counseling before thinking about kids). Then she proceeded to tell me about “Plan B” and advised me to take it if a condom broke or something (done a bit of research and doesn’t sit right w/ my conscience either).

From what I understand many individuals actually believe that the medical definition of conception is the process of the egg/sperm joining together (conception) and implantation… so therefore BC methods that affect implantation are not abortive (according to these individuals). We have a strong conviction that life begins at the moment of conception, which is why we wouldn’t consider an IUD after some research (from what I understand BCPs usually just prevent ovulation through changing hormone levels and leveling the fluctuations that allow it to occur therefore preventing only conception, but I suppose in the rare case that it did occur, it would prevent implantation; I’ve heard that there is more of a risk of interfering w/ implantation w/ a non hormonal IUD as you have a normal cycle but nothing can implant in the uterus). Interestingly I read once on a Christian blog that some man believed that a life began at a few weeks after conception when the heart started beating. Before that he believed it would be ok to terminate or use a BC method that could be do. Ummm… that sounds quite like playing God to me.

It’s sad how doctors push these methods and choose to not properly educate their patients on the mechanism by which it prevents pregnancy and you have to look up a scientific article to find this info. It’s also sad that they try to steer patients away from other methods that can be just as effective but prevent only conception… I have read a lot about other methods (FAM, NFP, barriers) and when used properly and very carefully it can be almost as effective as BCPs.Sadly they aren't as common anymore so alot of people don't know this...
<3, Bunny
Just a Bunny learning everyday what it means to Love and Live Harmoniously with a Fox

But if you tame me then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world.~TLP

convicted
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 7th, 2008

Postby convicted » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:18 pm

Being overweight poses a risk, as does strenuous activity, diet posses a risk, proper hydration and nutrition pose risks and of course stress.
It seems God gifts us with responsibility and the authority to see said responsibility through. Is BC really any greater a moral problem than any of the above?
If our God is for us, then who could ever stop us.
And if our God is with us, then what could stand against.

Job29Man
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 2nd, 1980

Postby Job29Man » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:58 pm

My purpose in this thread is to inform people that these 3 methods of birth control have an abortion action component built in. This has not been common knowledge. This is meant to be an information thread, not a debate thread.
Wanting to become like Job, as described in the Bible, the book of Job chapter 29. Hence the screen name.

cbmike
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 7th, 2013

Postby cbmike » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:56 pm

In the interest of information, the site you quote acknowledges that there is disagreement about birth control pills in particular. Here is a counter opinion on the issue:
[Combination Oral Contraceptives] prevent fertilization and, therefore, qualify as contraceptives. There is no significant evidence that they work after fertilization....
Because COCs so effectively suppress ovulation and block ascent of sperm into the upper genital tract, the potential impact on endometrial receptivity to implantation is almost academic. When the two primary mechanisms fail, the fact that pregnancy occurs despite the endometrial changes demonstrates that those endometrial changes do not significantly contribute to the pill's mechanism of action.
There's one thing I know, and this is it.

convicted
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 7th, 2008

Postby convicted » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:56 am

Job29Man wrote:My purpose in this thread is to inform people that these 3 methods of birth control have an abortion action component built in. This has not been common knowledge. This is meant to be an information thread, not a debate thread.

understood, though I see a bit of a....problem with that. One of the moral problems we (as Christians) will point to is the abortion on demand as a method of bc and now it's asserted the bc is essential abortion as a matter of course. Then some of us declare no abortion at any cost; chemical family planning doesn't seem to rise to nearly the weight of a mothers life being endangered. How is this not going to lead to....discussion? possibly fervent.....discussion.?. :wink: Perhaps TMB isn't the setting or we don't have the....desire to wade in on such a hot button topic which is understandable.

How would/should said knowledge inform particular choices? which leads me to wonder:
Is it "built in" or is it a product of?
If our God is for us, then who could ever stop us.
And if our God is with us, then what could stand against.

gtalan
Date of your marriage (past or future): November 9th, 1996

Postby gtalan » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:22 am

Job29Man wrote:My purpose in this thread is to inform people that these 3 methods of birth control have an abortion action component built in. This has not been common knowledge. This is meant to be an information thread, not a debate thread.

I believe this is common knowledge. I am on my second Mirena IUD and it is what is best for my husband and I at this time. I was informed on how the IUD prevents pregnancy.

sunshine_girl
Twin size
Date of your marriage (past or future): July 26th, 2014

Postby sunshine_girl » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:17 am

As a nurse in women's health, it does concern me how many people seem to not be aware of the risks an IUD poses. In addition to possibly preventing a fertilized egg from implanting, there is also the risk of an egg that managed to implant becoming "dislodged". So, if you do happen to conceive and the egg implants while pregnant, the removal of the IUD in an effort to save the pregnancy can also result in an abortion. Thank you for sharing! I do believe it is inconvenient at times, but highly important to be educated about these things!

Return to “Birth Control”