Diaphragm Fit and Ovulation Questions!

What's available, do's and don'ts.
arosec
Twin size
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 21st, 2016

Diaphragm Fit and Ovulation Questions!

Postby arosec » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:21 pm

This is my first post, but I've been lurking for awhile. :) So my FH and I are getting married in 3 weeks (!) and I have a couple birth control questions. I had a diaphragm fitted by my gynecologist a couple weeks ago and she prescribed me a 65, which I believe is on the small side. I told her I had trouble getting a menstrual cup in/out, which is why she tried a small diaphragm first...she only put the 65 in, said it fit right, and didn't try any bigger sizes. I was able to put it in and take it out easily at the doctors office, and she checked to see that I had it in right (I did). Yesterday I put it in again to make sure I could do it easily, and now I'm wondering if it's too small. I pushed it all the way back and could feel my cervix through the dome, but the front rim didn't seem to stay snugly behind my pubic bone. It sort of just sat there, and I could easily feel the front rim which wasn't tightly held up behind the bone. I walked around and sat down and it didn't seem to move, but it just doesn't feel tightly wedged in there-like it could be knocked out of place easily. Is that how it's supposed to be? Or did she give me the wrong size?

Second question: I've been tracking my periods (they are very regular) and cervical mucus, and I am able to identify pretty easily the "egg white" CM. I've read that after the mucus dries up, ovulation has passed, so does that mean we can have unprotected sex from then until a few days after my period? For example, I'm due to ovulate around the 17th of May, and we are getting married on the 21st. Is that enough of a buffer that we could go without birth control on the wedding night? I guess specifically, how long after my CM is dry am I fertile? I've read a lot on this, but I just don't quite trust myself.

If all of our birth control falls through, we do have condoms, I just am not super excited about using one our first time together. I want to feel him and be skin on skin :) his mindset is more that we can figure out what works best for us as we try different things, but I think if I don't have confidence that we're protected, I won't enjoy our wedding night as much as I could. I was really excited to use the diaphragm, but now I'm doubting it...and I don't think I have time to get another one (if needed) before the wedding :/

Anyone with diaphragm and/or FAM experience that can chime in?

FoxluvsBunny
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 23rd, 2015

Re: Diaphragm Fit and Ovulation Questions!

Postby FoxluvsBunny » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:38 am

Hey Arosec!!

First of all, congrats!!! May is a beautiful time to get married. I was married last may, the same week as you (May 23)!

I have lots of FAM experience, and a bit of diaphragm experience.

In terms of FAM: I recommend that you read the FAM Bible “Taking Charge of Your Fertility”. It is a fat book, but it explains everything you need to know if you are going to do fertility awareness in great detail. Read it 2 or 3 times (the rules, not the random info). Join the FB page; search for “fertility awareness method of birth control”. The moderators and other members are experienced and you can ask them questions and gain insights and see other charts. Get a charting app. Many do “Kindara”. I use “fertility friend” which is thought to be “less” by many FAM gurus, but I am used to it, and it’s hard to switch once you understand one. Consistently take your temp every morning before doing anything (around the same time) with a basal body thermometer. Then know the types of cervical mucus and record that. You will see a clear pattern. The “rules” that are very effective are to start avoiding after the first 5 days of your cycle if you have not had a cycle shorter than 25 days in the last year. And if you have had a cycle shorter than 25 days, you use the “First 3 day rule” (avoiding after the first 3 days). Then after you have confirmed ovulation via dry CM AND 3 days of temps above the previous temps (3DPO) you can have UP sex to your hearts desire!!!!! So yes, if you confirm it, on the 17th, then have UP fun!!!!! But beware, stress can throw things off… or change in schedule. And getting married is both most definitely ☺ I didn’t trust it the first month (our wedding month) either. I was 2DPO or so on our wedding. And we went UP a few days later, and I was freaked out I was pregnant the whole next week and a half. But I wasn’t (now i realize how silly i waa for even thinking this as dh didnt even ejaculte in my vagina due to issues that have since been resolved but i still worried abou [preejaculate] and stuff) ☺ If you follow the rules you will absolutely learn to trust your body and you and dh will learn so much about it. And in that 2% chance God wants to give you a baby, you will be ok and blessed.

We used condoms on our wedding night. It wasn’t physically great. But it really still felt like we were joining together before God and it was beautiful. Hopefully you can figure out the diaphragm as I’ve heard you can’t feel it if you do it right. I got fitted for one before the wedding, and was a bit too small for 65. I went back a few months ago and was fitted successfully for the smallest size, and couldn’t find a place to fill the prescription (we use WD now and fam but we actually dont follow the rules to a t and are a bit loose w out days). I might look harder. At this point, I’ve heard good things about the diaphragm. WD and condoms are not fun- imho it absolutely hinders thr connection and sensation for both esp during the fertile time when God designed your body tp experience its.most breathtaking sex (im my experience its a let down to protect because it takes a bite out of this time which ia my most desire and best orgasm). And at this point honestly, I’d very happily take a baby asap and am starting to get serious baby fever (so i'm not as motivated honestly to find the best contraception), but DH is more rational on this and would rather wait till next fall or winter. So I might look into this again and really see if I can get a diaphragm as it sounds like a good option compared to condoms or wd… I hope it works out for you. Keep me posted as we might be diaphragm buddies! ☺ Oh and reach out to me w/ any FAM questions too!

May your wedding and marriage be blessed in every way.

~Bunny
<3, Bunny
Just a Bunny learning everyday what it means to Love and Live Harmoniously with a Fox

But if you tame me then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world.~TLP

arosec
Twin size

Postby arosec » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:31 am

Thanks! We are so excited!! Just praying for good weather...may can be iffy in MN.

As far as the FAM...I was planning on using the diaphragm any time I am even possibly fertile, but now that I'm not sure it's the correct size, I'm wondering if we should just use condoms during my fertile time until I can get back to the doctor (probably won't be time before the wedding). I have heard good things about that book, maybe I'll check it out after we get married.

When I say I can feel the diaphragm I mean if I feel around there with my finger, I can feel the front rim. It doesn't feel like it's tucked up behind the pubic bone. But if I just walk around or sit there, I can't feel it in me. It's a bummer cause mine was super easy to get (got it 2 days after my appt.)! So I was really hoping that would be the end of the diaphragm drama! ;) hopefully someone has some experience using them and can give me some advice about the fit :) thank you for your info though, Bunny!

FoxluvsBunny
King bed

Postby FoxluvsBunny » Mon May 02, 2016 5:26 am

I freaked about the weather for months as we wanted to do an outdoor wedding :) And God gifted us with a beautiful day. I"m sure you guys will get a beautiful day too. No matter the weather.
:)

Curious where you ended up finding your diaphragm? Was it online? No one seems to be able to fill these prescriptions in the US and we have been talking about trying it. I believe the issue w/ my sizing as most are now going w/ the new Caya, but that is 1 size fits all from 65+ and i'm a 60mm...
I don't know about the fitting, but i'd say wear it around, and if it stays in for several hours should be good... and if not the spermicide give extra insurance. I think that in itself is like close to 80% effective. I'm sure you'll be fine. Please chime in anyone if you have experience or insight tho :)
<3, Bunny
Just a Bunny learning everyday what it means to Love and Live Harmoniously with a Fox

But if you tame me then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world.~TLP

arosec
Twin size

Postby arosec » Mon May 02, 2016 6:53 am

I live just south of Minneapolis/St. Paul, and my regular clinic pharmacy had them in stock, so I didn't even have to go through CVS, which is where I usually fill prescriptions. It was super convenient :) guess I was lucky though, because I've heard lots of people have trouble getting them. I'm going to call my doctor today just to ask about the fit, so we'll see what she says.

Am80
Twin size
Date of your marriage (past or future): April 3rd, 2017

Postby Am80 » Mon May 23, 2016 12:10 pm

I'm getting married early next year, and I just found this today. It looks promising. You can buy it online without a prescription, and it will fit you as long as you know that you're a size 65-80. I won't have insurance until after I'm married, so I'll probably get it.
http://buycaya.com/

Cayenne
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 23rd, 1996

Postby Cayenne » Mon May 23, 2016 10:53 pm

I bought mine from a mainstream pharmaceutical company in England. It's been a lot of years, so I would have to look it up.
"There, but for the grace of God, go I."

FoxluvsBunny
King bed

Postby FoxluvsBunny » Tue May 24, 2016 8:48 am

Am80 wrote:I'm getting married early next year, and I just found this today. It looks promising. You can buy it online without a prescription, and it will fit you as long as you know that you're a size 65-80. I won't have insurance until after I'm married, so I'll probably get it.
http://buycaya.com/

Hey Am and congrats :) I found a website where you can order the non Caya ones. I'd say to get fitted when you can if you can. I had a very difficult time getting fitted before marriage, as i'm smaller than average. I'm a 60 (i went for a 2nd fitting). I am probably going to order one as we really haven't found anything we are happy with (the issue is i want something non- hormonal, and i hate the idea of an IUD... DH doesn't like pulling out and we both hate condoms, we basically pull out the week before ovulation, and at that time, he doesn't enjoy it much- it's more for me cause it's when feels best... then afterwards ovulation, when i'm not as into it it's more for him; it would be nice to not have to do this frustrating dance anymore; yet i'm a bit nervous as it took a while for the midwife to get it in just right and i worry it would affect the sensation and we'd blow alot of $ on it... and there is a chance we may be TTC next year so it's a lot of money for something we might not use for all that long)... anyhow... if you really can't get fitted, you can try the Caya since it says it fits most; i just know that it likely would not fit for me, and i don't want you to get it and be disappointed. Blessings... :)
Last edited by FoxluvsBunny on Tue May 24, 2016 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
<3, Bunny

FoxluvsBunny
King bed

Postby FoxluvsBunny » Tue May 24, 2016 8:49 am

http://buydiaphragms.com looks promising!! :) they have all sorts here and i'm likely going to order from here.
<3, Bunny

Return to “Birth Control”