Natural Options for Birth Control?

What's available, do's and don'ts.
TheHippieWife
Twin size
Date of your marriage (past or future): October 2nd, 2016

Natural Options for Birth Control?

Postby TheHippieWife » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:31 pm

So, I am recently engaged, my fiancé and I would like to wait a long time to have kids as we are pretty young and want to spend lots of time with each other first. The problem is: I have switched to all-natural body care products and do not take conventional medicine (unless all I had was the Internet to guide me on what to use for something super serious I guess, I plan to take natural medicine courses in the future) and I'm scared to use the pill, or any interuterine devices. Another thing: I'd like to retain the ability to use coconut oil. Does anyone know how I can keep from being pregnant AND stay natural?

Job29Man
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 2nd, 1980

Barrier methods

Postby Job29Man » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:27 am

Hey Hippie,

Welcome to TMB. And congratulations on your upcoming marriage. Good for you on shunning the use of hormones and drugs. Likewise good for you on shunning any IUDs. Click here to learn how the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology reports that ALL IUDs (both hormonal and non-hormonal) can cause failure of a fertilized egg (baby) to implant in the uterus.

I'm Job29Man. My wife Sarah and I are back-to-nature types. We don't use medicines, except in dire emergencies, and we don't use any "maintenance drugs" at all.

NFP/FAM is about as natural as you will find. And barrier methods are also healthy for you. Diaphragms and condoms, when used correctly, are extremely effective. When you read about contraception you will read percentages of effectiveness. There is no single method that is 100% effective in preventing pregnancy when actually used in real-world conditions by fallible human beings. So be prepared for that. :D The only thing 100% effective is abstinence, i.e. not getting married in the first place. (Not that you said anything about requiring 100% effectiveness. You didn't, which is realistic.)

As long as you are going natural and healthy let me encourage you to also investigate about eating in the healthiest way, and educate yourself about how to avoid environmental toxins. Toxins are present in our environment in many places: drinking water, bottled water bottles, off-gassing from some housing construction materials, home-storage of cleaning chemicals and solvents, and much more. But if you are careful in how you eat and how to what you expose your body, you will stay healthy, and then when the time comes that you want to try for pregnancy you will have a greater chance at being fertile, conceiving, and carrying a healthy baby to delivery.

We have 10 children, but some of our siblings and relatives are having a tough time even getting pregnant. We believe that is partly due to lifestyle choices they have made and we have made.

There are lots of great threads about your topic. You could read for hours here and learn so much. :D
Wanting to become like Job, as described in the Bible, the book of Job chapter 29. Hence the screen name.

TheHippieWife
Twin size

Re: Natural Options for Birth Control?

Postby TheHippieWife » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:29 am

Thank you :) I have been searching out many natural detergent recipes and natural cleaners so that I will be able to keep more toxic chemicals out of our house. I think that I will have to learn FAM/NFP methods, though I've looked into them in the past and I've been very confused.

HisLadybug
Blanket on a secluded beach!
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 11th, 2006

Postby HisLadybug » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:38 am

Read "Taking charge of your Fertility." I think all women should read it anyway, to know their own bodies. NFP can be very effective.
Sweet like candy to my soul
Sweet you rock and sweet you roll
lost for you
I'm so lost for you
-Dave Matthews band

Job29Man

Postby Job29Man » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:58 am

Some Catholic churches offer FAM classes. You don't have to be Catholic to take them.
Wanting to become like Job, as described in the Bible, the book of Job chapter 29. Hence the screen name.

tentsofpurple
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 4th, 2004

Postby tentsofpurple » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:11 am

check into something called the lady comp. Its pricey but its a computer that takes your temperature and does the calculating for you (like FAM/NFP but without you having to do as much thinking :lol: ). Dh and I used it for about 4 years successfully between our 3rd and 4th children. If you search my threads I think I have a few posts about it.

girliegirl511
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 15th, 2013

Postby girliegirl511 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:11 pm

We did use birth control and conceived quickly with our 1st. I'm pregnant with our 2nd, which is completely God because I was on the mini pill. So after a lot of prayer during this pregnancy, we're leaving our family planning up to Him.

All that to say is, start tracking now! I have tracked my cycle since I started at age 11. Get to know the signals your body gives when ovulating. I know that when I ovulate my temperature will spike to 100.1, and a bunch of other rare symptoms. When you track you feel more in control and not worried about why your body is going crazy, physically and emotionally.

You can use an app, but I still like being old fashioned and using a physical calendar...even if I'm in my mid 20's :lol:
I write my symptoms down on each day, which also helps DH in knowing when he needs to be extra sensitive.

Pallando
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 15th, 2013

Postby Pallando » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:54 am

Another recommendation for the Lady Comp. Three years successful for us.

The Twit
Blanket on a secluded beach!
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 14th, 1993

Postby The Twit » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:24 am

There are several way to do this. High tech or old school paper and pen/pencil. Either way the biggest thing is to learn your body. My wife and I did natural family planning for the first half of our marriage.

It worked because she was able to identify the pain, the sensation of each part of her cycle. She learned the sensations of when she was about to ovulate and when she was about to menstruate. Also it helped that she was consistent all those years, exactly 27-28 days for her cycles.

She kept everything in a standard planning calendar that could be gotten at an office store or where they sell office supplies. She started the calendar al little after when we started dating. She had little symbols for each thing, prevent other prying eyes from knowing what the calendar was for, the calendar was her everyday calendar of events, school, etc. She would identify each feeling and each trigger. Yes when we started dating she started having different feeling down there and when spew became active things changed slightly, and then with the kids we noticed more changes. This has helped the doctors. I knew what everything meant and I knew when we needed to wear a condom and when we did not. The beginning of our honeymoon I had to wear a condom due to ovulation occurring on our wedding day and then the week we got back from our honeymoon we do not wear a condom.

So the key is to pay attention to your body. Look for signs. Document everything. Note things will change over the years and will change as you get sexually active. Note those changes. Then if something does go wrong you have documentation. How you do it is not important. But I will say one thing bring your husband in on it from the start so he can learn your body and its cycles. This will hopefully open it up for him tonight share his body with you so you can know when something is wrong even when he does not see it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

beautyfromashes
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 20th, 2004

Postby beautyfromashes » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:12 am

We did FAM for several years. As long as we followed the rules, it was effective. I used the Fertility Friend site and app. You might also want to look into a diaphragm/spermicide combo. I used the Caya diaphragm for a while with a natural spermicide called Contragel. They can be difficult to track down in the US, but you can find them online. I've also heard of a fertility tracker band, similar to a Fitbit, called the Ava. I have no personal experience with that thought.
Deep intimacy always requires work, acceptance, and forgiveness. Lots of it. ~~ Linda Dillow

TheHippieWife
Twin size

Postby TheHippieWife » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:35 pm

That's all really interesting, I will look it all up. Do any of ya'll have experience with the FemCap? Would it be worth it to use that and the natural spermicide? I do want to learn to track my fertility, but I'm a bit scared of the fact that I don't have a regular cycle. For those of you that used the ladycomp, did you only use that to tell if you were fertile? I have been extremely strict in what I put in my body and what I put on it since I was seventeen, but today I might have had a lapse in judgement. My mom brought up the birth control pill today and so I said I'd look it up and I did. I talked to my fiancé about it and he said he'd support whatever I decided, I decided I would go ahead and try it for a while, even though I hate the whole idea of it. After sharing all of my thoughts on it with him after he got off work and telling him what I decided he seems unhappy about it as he tends to worry about me a lot. From what he has said it seems he'd rather wear a condom every single time than for me to take the pill. So this means that we definitely have to get all this tracking stuff together and look into the options because we are getting married at the end of next month. O.O

Job29Man

Postby Job29Man » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:54 am

I know you want to be fully informed. Hippie, that brief flirtation with a decision to use the Pill really doesn't sound like something you would normally do (as you've described yourself). If you followed the link I gave you would have read that BC pills can cause failure to implant of a fertilized egg. Good for you and your future husband for deciding to against the pill after all. :D You won't be disappointed. It wasn't really "you" if you know what I mean. 8)

Here's the link. It will lead you to the original source material.

Below is a snippet excerpt from that post.

I'm doing a bit of research on the potential for abortion by IUD, Implants (like Norplant), and Birth Control Pills...

=================================================

What is the birth control implant?

The birth control implant is a single flexible rod about the size of a matchstick that is inserted under the skin in the upper arm. It releases progestin into the body. It protects against pregnancy for up to 3 years.

How does the birth control implant work?

The progestin in the implant prevents pregnancy mainly by stopping ovulation. In addition, the progestin in the implant thickens cervical mucus, which makes it harder for sperm to enter the uterus and fertilize the egg. Progestin also keeps the lining of the uterus thin, making it less likely that a fertilized egg will attach to it.

And in September 2013 in FAQ 021 they publish here that...

How do birth control pills work?

Birth control pills contain hormones that prevent ovulation. These hormones also cause other changes in the body that help prevent pregnancy. The mucus in the cervix thickens, which makes it hard for sperm to enter the uterus. The lining of the uterus thins, making it less likely that a fertilized egg can attach to it.

I was informed about these last two documents by Abort73.com, at this website. Of course the 73 in their name remembers that awful day of January 22, 1973 in which the Supreme Court made the Roe v Wade decision legalizing abortion in all 50 states.

Hippie Wife, from how you described yourself, it sounds like you would have gone against some of your core values if you wound up on the Pill. BC is always inconvenient, that is because it is not the natural way of things to prevent pregnancy in the first place. We have liberty in Christ to time pregnancies of course, but that doesn't make it "natural" and it will always be inconvenient. It is tempting, when a wedding date comes rushing up quickly, to sort of panic and go with the easiest thing. I'm not condemning, I'm applauding your future husband and you for making the right final decision based on how you describe yourself, and your values and convictions.

I know you'll figure this thing out. To thine own self be true! :D

beautyfromashes
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 20th, 2004

Postby beautyfromashes » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:10 am

I have no experience with a FemCap. From the reading I've done, it's less effective on women who've had children, so I didn't bother. The natural spermicide was worth the extra cost for me because regular spermicide left me very sore and irritated all that delicate tissue. Nonoxynol-9 (the standard ingredient in spermicides) is a pretty harsh chemical. Contragel is lactic-acid based, so it's much gentler. Contragel doesn't have as many studies done on it's effectiveness, so they do recommend using it in combination with a barrier, such as a condom or diaphragm.
Deep intimacy always requires work, acceptance, and forgiveness. Lots of it. ~~ Linda Dillow

TheHippieWife
Twin size

Postby TheHippieWife » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:50 am

My fiancé also kept talking about how he didn't want me to go against what I believe. It really was a big deal to me when I considered it since I believe so strongly about natural medicine. Even my username is related to that since people tend to jokingly call me a hippie when they learn about my passion for all natural stuff. I am really excited about what I've read about the FemCap and contragel and so is my fiancé. I really hope that I can get the FemCap prescribed to me when I go for a check up, but I'm a bit worried about how comfortable it will be for me considering that tampons are never comfortable. If you all could pray for me about that I would really appreciate it.

TheHippieWife
Twin size

FemCap and contragel

Postby TheHippieWife » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:27 pm

I am seriously considering the FemCap and contragel for Birth control and also tracking. If you have experience with either of them I'd love to know about how it was, if it really worked, if you had any problems, etc. I have read that you shouldn't wear the FemCap for over 48 hours and I'd just like to confirm that you can sleep in it, and also confused about how soon after you take it out and wash it can you put it back in? Was it comfortable? I have trouble wearing tampons comfortably so I'm afraid that the FemCap won't work out for me :/

TheHippieWife
Twin size

Ovacue Fertility Monitor, FemCap, Contragel questions

Postby TheHippieWife » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:04 pm

Have you ever used the Ovacue fertility monitor? Did it work well? I have irregular cycles, do you know how well it would work for me? I would like the extra help while learning to track my fertility. Also, I am seriously considering the FemCap and contragel for Birth control. If you have experience with either of them I'd love to know about how it was, if it really worked, if you had any problems, etc. I have read that you shouldn't wear the FemCap for over 48 hours and I'd just like to confirm that you can sleep in it, and also confused about how soon after you take it out and wash it can you put it back in? Was it comfortable? I have trouble wearing tampons comfortably so I'm afraid that the FemCap won't work out for me :/

Return to “Birth Control”