Birth Control Options

What's available, do's and don'ts.
Made4N
Double
Date of your marriage (past or future): April 22nd, 2007

Birth Control Options

Postby Made4N » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:27 pm

We have just had our second child (8-19-16) and we don't plan to have any more. I really don't think we would change our minds on this. If we did end up with a #3, we would be fine with that but would rather not go down that road. I'm 36 and she's 33.

When we first got married, DW used the pill for birth control and she had big problems with hormone imbalance. We do not plan to ever use the pill again.

We had good luck with FAM/NFP in the past. We plan to go back to using FAM/NFP for now.

Are there any recommended options that are permanent/non-permanent?

HisLadybug
Blanket on a secluded beach!
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 11th, 2006

Re: Birth Control Options

Postby HisLadybug » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:24 pm

We are pretty much in the same situation as you and right now we use condoms. We have also successfully used the pull out method. It's quite effective if the guy has good control.

I don't think my husband is going to agree to a vasectomy so if we decide to do something permanent then I will arthroscopically have my tubes tied. I know two people who had the procedure done and it was pretty low impact for them.
Sweet like candy to my soul
Sweet you rock and sweet you roll
lost for you
I'm so lost for you
-Dave Matthews band

Job29Man
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 2nd, 1980

Postby Job29Man » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:20 am

We plan to go back to using FAM/NFP for now.
:D ::clap

My recommendation is don't do anything permanent. You are too young. Here's the thing. We get to a stage in our lives where we can think "I'm good now. I'm done with that, thanks." But then something changes, something we could NEVER in a million years anticipate. And if we took a permanent path to stop us going there again, why, it's heartbreaking.

I have known a number of couples who were absolutely totally, 100% convinced they were done having children (generally at 2 or 3 children), and so one of them got sterilized. Then years later they have a change of heart, and they can't conceive. And there is heartbreak, tears, much regret. But if you rewind to when they made the decision you would see TOTAL "peace from God" with the decision to sterilize, no doubts whatsoever.

I strongly urge you; don't take a permanent option, bear with the inconvenience of FAM/NFP for another 8 years or so. I think you are wise to stay the course on that.
Wanting to become like Job, as described in the Bible, the book of Job chapter 29. Hence the screen name.

ledgemoor
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 3rd, 1982

Postby ledgemoor » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:58 pm

We used a diaphragm back in the day -- it worked well and wasn't too intrusive to the love act. Eventually DW got to be sensitive to the spermacide though.

Nowdays, they have milder spermacides. There are reports that diaphragms will work without spermacide. Personally, I wouldn't trust that, but using it in conjunction with FAM/NFP couldn't hurt anything.

Conventional diaphragms are harder to find nowdays. This seems to be the new thing:
http://caya.us.com/
Everything you ever wanted in life is just outside your comfort zone (Jamie Lee Curtis)

Made4N
Double
Date of your marriage (past or future): April 22nd, 2007

Postby Made4N » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:31 am

Thanks for the good advice, Job29Man.

Return to “Birth Control”