Antibiotics for epididymis problem

What's available, do's and don'ts.
jejogr
Twin size
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 21st, 2008

Antibiotics for epididymis problem

Postby jejogr » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:29 pm

Went to the urologist today for pain on my right testicle over the past week. He said because of my vasectomy the sperm ruptured the epididymis. He prescribed Cipro but my wife informed me it is a horrible antibiotic and can cause serious damage. I don't know what to do. I'm scared to take it but don't want to possibly have an infection that isn't treated.

SquarePants
California King
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 10th, 2005

Re: Antibiotics for epididymis problem

Postby SquarePants » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:49 pm

What kind of damage is she worried about? Cipro is a heavy duty antibiotic, but it’s appropriate for this situation, and untreated epididtmitis can have permanent and painful consequences. I’ve taken cipro for prostatitis (with mild epididtmitis) without any complications. Just follow any instructions given to you by your doctor or pharmacist. I think that the biggest risk was damage to tendons, but that’s easily avoidable by limiting strenuous activity for a while. I would much more concerned about untreated epididtmitis than the Cirpro. Cipro is one of the few antibiotics that is appropriate for this.

Maybe you know this already, but once you’ve started the Cipro ( or any antibiotic) you need to finish all of your prescribed pills, or you risk creating an antibiotic resistant strain.

SLS
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 28th, 2014

Postby SLS » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:47 pm

I'm on it right now for the same reason as SquarePants was (prostatitis). The list of side effects can be scary but as long as you follow the instructions you should be just fine.

jejogr
Twin size
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 21st, 2008

Postby jejogr » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:24 am

The tendons thing is the scary thing we are worried about. I am also thinking there may be prostatitis too since there had been pain in the pelvic floor area for a few months and I have noticed a change in urination such as starting and stopping. Ugh. I really don't want to take this antibiotic. I have anxiety and taking meds scare me as is.

Return to “Birth Control”