Surprise Pregnancies...Informal Study

What's available, do's and don'ts.

Planned/Unplanned pregnancies?

We are childless by choice.
10%
All of our pregnancies have been planned.
9%
Some pregnancies were planned, some were unplanned.
18%
All of our pregnancies have been unplanned.
9%
We use no birth control.
9%
We use NFP/abstain from intercourse during fertile times.
4%
We use FAM and use a barrier during fertile times.
5%
We use condoms.
12%
We use a diaphragm/cervical cap.
2%
We use spermicide.
3%
We use an IUD.
2%
We use the pill (POP or combo).
12%
We use the shot.
0%
We use an implant.
1%
We use the patch.
0%
We use the sponge.
0%
We use a combination of methods (explain in post).
4%

Total votes: 826

thisbejoe7
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): November 28th, 1998

Re: Surprise Pregnancies...Informal Study

Postby thisbejoe7 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:35 pm

When we first got married, DW and I were young and knew nothing! She went to the doc and got whatever pill they prescribed for BC. She was on that for less than 2 years. We planned our first and second pregnancies, but she never went back on hormonal BC. We used condoms to prevent pregnancy for years. Then in 2004/2005 we decided that we didn't intentionally want to have another baby, but we were going to take major measures to prevent it. So we would abstain during the fertile days or use condoms. We didn't track any cycles or monitor anything and just kind of had the attitude that if God wanted us to have another child then we would get pregnant. It was early 2005 when we moved to Florida from up North, and we were packing our moving truck, had already bought a house, and found out that very day we were about to drive our things to Florida that we were going to have another baby! It was a total surprise, we were necessarily expecting it...but I think we both remembered the "incident" where baby #3 was conceived!

Now that we've had as many kids as we can handle, I had a vasectomy in 2005 and have enjoyed worry free lovin' with my DW ever since.
"One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it."....Kung Fu Panda
---
Married 14 years to the first girl I ever dated, touched, kissed...well first everything! We have 3 kids (2 DD 1 DS Ages 7 - 12).

MrsLG07

Postby MrsLG07 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:11 pm

We use FAM with pull out during ferile phase. As in from CD10-after confirmed ovulation. No surprise pregnancies yet!

Catnip

Postby Catnip » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:30 pm

I'm on the NuvaRing and we usually use a backup method like spermicide or, less often, condoms. No pregnancies yet, but it hasn't even been a year.

lovinbeinmarried

Postby lovinbeinmarried » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:54 am

We've been married a little over 19 months now and are childless by choice, at least for the time being. I've been on the pill our whole marriage. We want children in the future, but he doesn't feel ready yet. He wants to be completely responsible and be financially prepared. I know it's best that we wait until I'm out of school at least, and probably till we've paid down some of the school loans... But Im so ready to have kids, lol.

Titanium
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): April 8th, 2006

Postby Titanium » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:30 am

I'm not quite sure how to answer the poll now... :lol:

We'd been trying for 18 months and had been using all sorts of drugs and other interventions to try and sort myself out to fall pregnant.

We'd been on a break from the drugs for 2 months (due to my trip to Africa) and were 2 weeks from my fertility op to prepare for IVF when we found out we were pregnant.

So we weren't exactly doing everything to fall pregnant at that point in time; but it was definitely something we were wanting to happen.

It took us a while to get our heads around the fact that we'd done so much work to fall pregnant; and that it was when we were preparing for further interventions that we fell pregnant. Not quite sure why God had us go through the 18 months prior; but we are exceptionally thankful and joyful all the same.

eoconnel

Postby eoconnel » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:49 am

I have three children and they were all conceived with different forms of birth control. My oldest was with the Patch, my second was with a condom and my baby was with the Mirena.

Chateau Violet
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): July 9th, 2005

Postby Chateau Violet » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:23 pm

DS1 - concived 4mo after our wedding. People often asked "was he planned?" Well, not exactly, but he certainly wasn't prevented. Condoms only work when they're actually used, :lol:. So, he wasn't exactly a surprise.

Baby2 - Planned. I'd just learned a LOT about fertility from Taking Charge of Your Fertility. So, we knew conception was certainly possible.

DS2 - Planned. We waited 2 full cycles after our miscarriage and again used what we learned from TCOYF to tell when I was ovulating.
"And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God."
1 Corinthians 6:11 (NIV)

fullofquirks

Postby fullofquirks » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:37 pm

I was on the pill, but on two diff brands with each son. We have 2 boys, neither were planned. Got Mirena IUD after 2nd son & we are lovin it. No worries, no cycle to speak of. It will have to be removed Jan 2011 so got a few months to decide yet. I want another baby but DH says we would be out numbered 3-2 so we'll see ::lol

MrsPhil

Postby MrsPhil » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:41 am

We've been pg 4 times, all unplanned (2 ended in losses.) First two times I was taking the pill (correctly, no misses, same time every day, etc.). 3rd was doing NFP with a very expensive fertility monitor that predicts ovulation and tracking ovulation signs. 4th time was also using said monitor and was exclusively breastfeeding. Oh, and I have PCOS which means I don't ovulate all the time and after pg #2 have only one fallopian tube both of which lead to being less likely to conceive. So no, you don't have to be careless/not preventing to get pg and if God thinks you should have a baby, you do. :)

ophelia
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 20th, 2004

Postby ophelia » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:14 pm

Here, here. Three of our four were not planned. I was on Nuva Ring for awhile. We tried the sponge and toyed with a diaphragm briefly. Then we started using condoms and spermicide along with FAM. I'm currently using those and an expensive fertility monitor to help with the tracking. My cycle hasn't regulated yet after our last kid but Mrs.Phil you are making me very nervous. :!: It's true, if God wants you to have em , you'll have em.
Come on darling
There's a war on our TV
But it's alright
In our bedrooms we are free
Deep in the guts of me
I Love You Violently
Until the dawn's early light.
This is why we fight~Fast Romantics

George B.
On the floor
Date of your marriage (past or future): July 20th, 1996

Postby George B. » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:34 pm

two of our six were not planned--specifically the last two (are we getting sloppy in our old age? :mrgreen: )

over the years, we've used a variety of BC methods, from the Pill when we were first married (NOT a good choice for us) to condoms and FAM and now a vasectomy. Condoms and FAM generally proved to be a good choice, but we had a problem with one brand of condoms (they were too short) that ended up in one pregnancy. As for the last little surprise, we're still not sure. Apparently she conceived on a day that should be impossible for conception, but God evidently wanted this baby to come into the world.

So there you are. We're happy with our family size, but are also happy to be done with biological children (still exploring possible adoption options).
On sex: "Neither men nor women will be asked to throw away the weapon they have used victoriously. It is the beaten and the fugitives who throw away their swords. The conquerors sheathe theirs and retain them."-C.S. Lewis

Voveo Uxor
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 16th, 1997

Postby Voveo Uxor » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:07 pm

You forgot to include sterilization such as tubal ligation or vasectomy. We had one planned child, then I got a tubal ligation. Best decision I could have made.
Voveo Uxor
"[God is] a hedonist at heart. All those fasts and vigils and stakes and crosses are only a facade...He has filled His world full of pleasures."--C.S. Lewis, The Screwtape Letters

His Lady

Postby His Lady » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:17 pm

We don't use birth control, and never have in 6 years of marriage, and we have five kids. I wouldn't trade it for anything! :D

tentsofpurple
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 4th, 2004

Postby tentsofpurple » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:50 am

can't pick more than one option on your survey but we used hormonal birth control for the first three years we were married (oh how I wish I could go back but that's another story) when I went off it we got pregnant with our planned dd. After dd we used no birth control so I guess our second child was planned in that we knew it could happen (we were kind of taking a whatever happens happens approach). After our second child was born we were not using any bc but I was loosely (and I mean very loosely and not very knowledgeably) tracking my fertile times and dh would sometimes pull out if I told him is was a possibility I would get pg, and sometimes he wouldn't, lol no real rhyme or reason. So our third child was not planned per say but definitely not a huge surprise either! :D

Graveyardlovers
Twin size
Date of your marriage (past or future): October 13th, 2002

Postby Graveyardlovers » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:02 am

no surprises here, but also no kids here :(

we have used pills, withdraw, shots and now use condoms. with pills i would forget a day or two and my husband is the one who didn't want to have kids so he was more diligent on staying on top of things and still is. i am hoping soon to get to have the opportunity to be a mom.

The Twit
Blanket on a secluded beach!
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 14th, 1993

Postby The Twit » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:46 am

Until we started trying to have kids we had a cycle process that was timed with her cycle. During period no condomor any other protection. Then we would go to a condom. Then a few days before and after ovulation we used a condom and KY plus jelly or foam. When we started trying to conceive we did not use a condom any time and had sex daily during the ovulation days. Once each kid was born we would go back to condom and foam, KY Plus was no longer produced after first child - bummer because it was easy to use and provided plenty of lube. Once the third was born we have been using condom with spermicide for all PIV and condom without spermicide for other sexual contact. Now wife is on a HBC pill but we still use a spermicide condom. No sex during period time, in fact no sex most of the time.

Return to “Birth Control”