Surprise Pregnancies...Informal Study

What's available, do's and don'ts.

Planned/Unplanned pregnancies?

We are childless by choice.
10%
All of our pregnancies have been planned.
9%
Some pregnancies were planned, some were unplanned.
18%
All of our pregnancies have been unplanned.
9%
We use no birth control.
9%
We use NFP/abstain from intercourse during fertile times.
4%
We use FAM and use a barrier during fertile times.
5%
We use condoms.
12%
We use a diaphragm/cervical cap.
2%
We use spermicide.
3%
We use an IUD.
2%
We use the pill (POP or combo).
12%
We use the shot.
0%
We use an implant.
1%
We use the patch.
0%
We use the sponge.
0%
We use a combination of methods (explain in post).
4%

Total votes: 826

Karalyn_s

Postby Karalyn_s » Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:09 pm

We are childless by choice until we have health insurance and enough money to be able to actually afford a child. We can barely pay our bills now as it is. Just the way that was worded bothered me, because I want children VERY MUCH right now but it would be very irresponsible of us to get pregnant and not be able to support the child.

hwpriest05

Postby hwpriest05 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:29 pm

my husband and i have not used birth control because we have been trying and have not been able. we have found out that i may have cancer and we are only 21. :( cancer runs in my family and we may not be able to get pregnant even if it is not cancer this time. hopefully once we are setled into our new house we can think about if we want to adpot. i would like to because i was adpoted myself :!:

mrz80
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): February 13th, 1988

Postby mrz80 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:26 pm

nmwife wrote:We actually thought we could no longer have children since my dh had a vascetomy after our second son was born! He had it done Jan 2004. Well in Feb 2005, we went away for our anniversary. I knew I was ovulating, so I jokingly said to my dh "Wouldn't it be funny if we got pregnant?" His reply was "yeah whos would it be?" anyway we laughed it off and had a great weekend :oops:

I used to work with a woman who got pregnant while on the Pill. After the child was born her husband had a vasectomy. After the *second* child came, she had her tubes tied. Then she had twins! So there they were, both of 'em "fixed", with four kids under the age of 5. Moral of the story: God wants you pregnant, you're gonna get pregnant! :-)
"Male and female created He them..."

Fruitful One

Postby Fruitful One » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:14 am

Hmm..let's see...
The first 4 were planned. All boys! THEN! I have no idea how it happened :wink: A GIRL! She was a surprise then and is still keeping us hopping 2 years later! lol

kaycee

Postby kaycee » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:49 am

For our first year we used no BC but instead believed if we were sexual as often as we were being that I could never have a large enough sperm count to make a baby. It seemed to work as we never got pregnant that first year. We then went on the pill for a year. But instead of renewing the prescription we choose to allow nature to take its course. Finally after four years of marriage we had our first born. My wife was still breast feeding and had not had a period for over a year and a half when we became pregnant the second time. When she gave birth the second time by c-section we choose to have her tubes cut. My wife's uterus was only half the size it should have been and any future pregancies could cause it to burst so we choose for her health and the safety of any future pregnancy to permanantly fix it so there would be no more surprises. A few years later after many heavy and painful periods my wife had to have a hysterectomy. Ever so often she still asks if we should adopt a boy or if I'm sorry we never had one. I always assure her that I am happy with two beautiful girls.

sweet_chick

Postby sweet_chick » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:58 pm

I am struggling to decide whats the best contraception. I only ever had periods once every 2 - 3 months. I was on the pill for 2 years due to control my periods I have been off them since October due to health reasons and am still waiting for a period.

Not sure what to do now. Using condoms some times but not all the time (need slap on wrist for that).

One thing cannot do is get pregnant. Cant afford it, dont want kids and pregnancy could agrivate health problems I have already (my doctor always says there is a lot to discuss before deciding to have kids, for one medication that I need is not allowed for pregnant women)

InGodsGrace
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 9th, 1999

Postby InGodsGrace » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:44 pm

Hey sweet...if you don't want children...have you thought of getting ur tubes tied, or dh getting a vasectomy? Or is there a slight chance you may want children down the road?

BackSpoon

Postby BackSpoon » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:03 pm

sweet_chick wrote:. I only ever had periods once every 2 - 3 months. I was on the pill for 2 years due to control my periods I have been off them since October due to health reasons and am still waiting for a period.

Not sure what to do now. Using condoms some times but not all the time (need slap on wrist for that).

One thing cannot do is get pregnant. Cant afford it, dont want kids and pregnancy could agrivate health problems I have already (my doctor always says there is a lot to discuss before deciding to have kids, for one medication that I need is not allowed for pregnant women)

hmm, more than 3 months since last period + sporadic condom use = have you thought about a pregnancy test? Had to say it 'cuz it seemed obvious to me but I can understand how you might not be thinking about it. Some women get pregnant quite easily coming of the pill, especially if it was the mini. Of course, others take months to recover from it. Just a thought, without knowing your other health concerns. If you happened to be pregnant, I'm guessing you'd want to know sooner rather than later because of the meds you need. Just to say also, you might want to research the meds in Dr. Hale's book. Sometimes they turn out to be safer for pregnancy than the patient has been told or there's an alternative or something.

For avoidance, my vote is usually for Fertility Awareness Method.

Voveo Uxor
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 16th, 1997

Postby Voveo Uxor » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:01 pm

Hm, none of those options applied to us.

Our child was semi-planned; that is, we'd planned to have him that year, but hadn't planned on having him quite so *early* in that year!

We were using a spermicidal suppository-like thing at the time.

Since having our child, we use my favourite, the old "tubal ligation" method. And are very, very satisfied with it.
Voveo Uxor
"[God is] a hedonist at heart. All those fasts and vigils and stakes and crosses are only a facade...He has filled His world full of pleasures."--C.S. Lewis, The Screwtape Letters

sweet_chick

Postby sweet_chick » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:51 pm

BackSpoon wrote:hmm, more than 3 months since last period + sporadic condom use = have you thought about a pregnancy test?

I took one the other day but it didnt work. The sign for not pregnant came up but the next box along which shows if it works or not didnt come up. I am taking that as not.

I have read that it can take up to a year for periods to come back esp if you are irregular. I have been nearly 6 months without one once and that was before I was married.

Been on the pill for 5 years (periods were so heavy that I was getting sick so doctor pescribed me them when I was younger) so would expect things to take a while.

KC83
Twin size

Postby KC83 » Wed May 17, 2006 3:38 pm

We used NFP and all out pregnancies were planned.

It did lead to some creativity during the fertile times. :lol:

HisBestFriend

Postby HisBestFriend » Fri May 19, 2006 8:22 am

We used the God method for 8 years and had 4 children. We had a vasectomy, and had it reversed 2 years later. Resuming the God method for 6 more years and having 3 more children. We started FAM in Jan 05 and in March 06 are now under the influence of our only true *surprise* pregnancy. We are both completely baffled and the timing ( in our eyes) couldnt be worse...... We both know enough about the Lords timing that we arent completely freaked out.

flipper

Postby flipper » Fri May 19, 2006 9:50 am

It's weird but DH and I don't use anything....I know what you're thinking. BUT we have no kids and don't want any. So the other moral of the story is if God doesn't want you pregnant then you won't be. We've been using nothing for over 2 years and no kids yet!

HisBestFriend

Postby HisBestFriend » Sat May 20, 2006 2:51 am

We didnt get pregnant during our first 2 years while using nothing, we now have (almost) 8 children. I'm just curious how you'd feel if you did conceive, since you don't want children ? Your choices are completely valid in my eyes, but just wondered how you'd feel about that as I've never known anyone who absolutely didnt want children, but also wasnt preventing it. Hope my question doesnt come across as offensive, I just want to understand.

Lovingwifeandmother

Postby Lovingwifeandmother » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:13 am

I picked Some planned, some unplanned and NFP

but the unplanned were not because we were using NFP, it was becasue we simply didnt care what time of the month it was, we were ready to get busy LOL

I stopped taking my temps every morning and winged it for about a while (close to a year), then I stopped even guessing when I would be fertile and a few months later we were pregnant. Not exactly unplanned but we werent actively trying for another.

When my 3rd was 5 months old we were pregnant again. I hadnt even tried to guess fertile times by that point because usually it took a lot to get pregnant and I figured #3 was just our lucky baby (he was the one I stopped even guessing when fertile time was) so we were surprised with #4 because we honestly thought we'd be back to trying for months for another but definitely not an unwanted surprise. We knew we could get pregnant but did things anyway.

After that DH had a vasectomy and let me tell ya, best birth control ever, havent been pregnant in 2yrs :? DH is now going for a reversal :D We feel children are definitely a blessing and feel mighty blessed to have 4 and want more!

Rachel

igor
Queen bed

Postby igor » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:05 pm

My wife started on the pill when we married. Used that for a couple of years, then planned a pregnancy. After that she went back on the pill for a couple of more years until the next planned pregnancy. Some time after that last pregnancy, (I don't remember if it was immediate) the Dr suggested getting off the pill (I don't remember why but think it was the possibility of one of the nastier side affects). So we started using condoms. Used them for several years until she had a hysterectomy.

GraceyGirl

surprises

Postby GraceyGirl » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:34 pm

Our son was a planned pregnancy. In fact, he was VERY planned. We had tried and tried to get pregnant. . .were doing the drugs and everything else. I'd call Paul on the mornings I knew I was ovulating and he'd let his CO know and come home and :::sigh::: we'd do "it." Again. It was such a draaaaaaaaaaaaag. Hahahaa

Fastfoward about six months, we finally got pregnant. I had such a horrendus pregnancy, and then was in a terrible car accident that nearly did in mama and baby. We were so blessed. Upon delivery, I was told to enjoy my son, b/c he was the one and only.

Uh huh. . .riiiiiight.

About 18 months later guess what? Daddy comes home from deployment, I am using B/C (VCF) and we "celebrate." Six weeks later, I find out I am pregnant - not the flu! WOW Our one and only turned into a big brother about nine months later.

On our son's birth announcement, we described him as the "evidence of our love fulfilled." We called him our "joy." When our daughter came along, we called her our "fulfillment." It doesn't get much better than that.

Right now, we are using condoms (gag) but we are looking into some other options.

Emlyn Tarak

Postby Emlyn Tarak » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:18 pm

DW and I have used the pill as our main BC during the first 9 years of our marriage. We have 3 children. DS1 was planned. :D During the time while DW was still nursing him we used condoms as a replacement for the pill. Apparantly they were not always used correctly because we had DS2 when DS1 was approaching 2 years old (DS2 was not planned). :? Or rather he was planned, he was just about a year early... Our third child, DD1 was planned and arrived when DS2 was 3. I have since been "fixed" so if God chooses to bless us with DS3 or DD2 it will certainly be an unplanned surprise :shock:

marriedbabe

Postby marriedbabe » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:05 am

although our daughter was planned, it seems we have several friends who are pregnant right now or just gave birth to surprise babies. Basically, one set of friends had troubles getting pregnant the first time so she assumed that she was not fertile and BOOM! She's due in Nov. with #2. Her hubby is getting a vasectomy after the birth. Another friend who is due the same day as the friend mentioned above was on a low dose BC pill when she was breastfeeding and forgot to get on a higher dose pill afterward and BOOM! She's having son #2. :mrgreen: We have some friends who just had #3, but they weren't trying to prevent it that hard. And yet another friend is due with her third girl this fall. I believe they use the natural family planning method. Yep, don't hang out with us unless ya wanna be preggers! LOL! I joke that we are the fertility gods. :D

Tigger

Postby Tigger » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:10 am

It seems you left out one very important choice: Infertile.

Dh and I have been trying for 2 1/2 years to get pregnant. I temp, use opk's, have sex (known in my world as bding, or baby dancing) when I should...and nada.

So we are, for the moment, childless - but it is most certainly NOT by choice. And before you can say "but infertility doesn't affect very much of the population" let me assure you it does - I am well versed in infertility/trying to get pregnant and all that pertains to it.

Return to “Birth Control”