Surprise Pregnancies...Informal Study

What's available, do's and don'ts.

Planned/Unplanned pregnancies?

We are childless by choice.
10%
All of our pregnancies have been planned.
9%
Some pregnancies were planned, some were unplanned.
17%
All of our pregnancies have been unplanned.
9%
We use no birth control.
9%
We use NFP/abstain from intercourse during fertile times.
4%
We use FAM and use a barrier during fertile times.
5%
We use condoms.
12%
We use a diaphragm/cervical cap.
2%
We use spermicide.
3%
We use an IUD.
2%
We use the pill (POP or combo).
12%
We use the shot.
0%
We use an implant.
1%
We use the patch.
0%
We use the sponge.
0%
We use a combination of methods (explain in post).
4%

Total votes: 825

marriedbabe

Postby marriedbabe » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:58 pm

Tigger, I think you need to hang out with me and my hubby. I swear we get everyone pregnant. lol! I have had friends who had been trying for years and then the stars aligned and they have babies. Best of luck to you in trying to conceive. A running buddy of mine had to go through fertility treatments to have her first and when she stopped breast feeding her doctor told her to think about birth control and she said "remember, I am infertile." She immediately got pregnant with #2!! Keep the faith!!

Tigger

Postby Tigger » Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:19 pm

It's like the body, after getting pregnant once, says "AH HA! NOW I know what I'm supposed to go. I got it! Here ya go!" :) My oldest SIL had a bit of a time getting pregnant with her first...and now she has 3, all a year apart! :)

So...I don't mind if I have the second one close together. I wanted to be done by 30 (personal preference...more power to those who are having them later) but that's not going to happen. I'll barely have my first by then.

And when I read earlier somewhere about your friends all getting pregnant the first thing I thought was "I seriously need to hang out with these people...rub bellies or something!"

bluemoon

Re: Surprise Pregnancies...Informal Study

Postby bluemoon » Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:23 pm

Do possible pregnancies count?

I was on the pill (and still am, but on a different brand) when I had what I suspect may have been a very early miscarriage.

Didn't miss a period, but it was late and I was pretty sick for about two days there. And I don't normally feel sick at all during that time of the month.

Halls

Postby Halls » Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:30 pm

I voted "all surprises". I got pg with our first baby 2 months after we got married, and it was a HUGE surprise... (Not a very welcome one, I'm sad to say now :( ) I had just come off the Pill, and was counting days, and did it wrong :oops:

Our second child, was also a surprise, but a welcome one. *shrug* We wanted to try for another child in the next few months, but he came early. :) We were using a combo of NFP and condoms on fertile days.

Now, here's where I am: I had to vote for "no birth control" AND "combo of NFP and condoms", b/c just this past week, we came to the conclusion (after MUCH prayer) that God isn't wanting us to use any form of BC anymore... :shock: It's an invitation to trust him fully with our lives, and it's sorta scary! But we'll see how many kids he wants us to have... My automatic thought it like 12 or something, since we seem to be very fetile :roll: ... but who knows what God has in store? Like someone already said on here, you will have babies when God wants you to, and we want to fully trust him in this... :D

Anyone else in this boat?

ScarlettB

Postby ScarlettB » Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:40 pm

both my girls were surprises. the first because i was told i wouldnt be able to have kids at all so i wasnt worried about birth control. the second one was just a i was on the pill and then we started talking about having another baby maybe getting pregnant with in 6 months no joke 2 weeks later i found out i was pregnant. but alas no more suprises for me i am broken for real this time :( . but i have two happy suprises that i wasnt even suppose to be able to have.

Titanium
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): April 8th, 2006

Postby Titanium » Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:59 pm

We are what I like to call childFREE by choice (childless makes it sound more like 'infertile' rather than 'we don't want children').

We use the pill, spermicide and condoms, and don't always ML 'to completion' (if that makes sense).

Our feelings might change in the future, and we are open to that, but right now we do not want to have children.

Sasch

mom210
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 2nd, 1978

Postby mom210 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:51 am

Our last baby , a son, was a surprise. Our oldest child was 24 at the time and our yougest was 6...we thought we had finished. Our other 6 were all planned. God had a different plan for us. :D ...Our ds is now 2 and is great fun and keeps us on our toes! Since I am now 45 and dh is 47 , we prayed and then he got a Vas. so no more little ones for us.

seenoevil

Postby seenoevil » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:59 am

We had a surprise pregnancy and conceived while using a condom. I think that we weren't being careful enough to avoid any fluid exchange at all. Sadly, I miscarried soon thereafter. Talk about roller coaster emotions. :?

Wolf-Hearted

Postby Wolf-Hearted » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:36 am

I take it from the choices that using 'coitus interruptus' or the 'withdrawal method' isn't considered a form of birth control? After our first two 'surprises' :D (we were doing nothing to prevent pregnancy then) we started using this method and it's worked for over 6 years now.

Southern Belle
King bed

Postby Southern Belle » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:48 am

How about pregnancies that occured because one partner didn't want to stop?

Giggle.........He granted me my wish!

Hormones and newlyweds!

::luv
One thing I have desired of the Lord,
that will I seek to behold the beauty of the Lord.- Psalm 27:4
Married to the Sexiest Cowboy! ;-)

http://www.weekendtoremember.com
http://www.joebeam.com/seminars.html
http://www.sexuallyconfidentwife.com/

highplaces
Double
Date of your marriage (past or future): November 11th, 1990

Postby highplaces » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:14 am

Most of the pregnancies we had were "anticipated," and we haven't used birth control for 10 years...
We have had 10 children in 13 years, (so far).
Courage does not always roar,
Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day, saying..."I will try again tomorrow."

highplaces
Double
Date of your marriage (past or future): November 11th, 1990

Postby highplaces » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:18 am

Southern Belle wrote:How about pregnancies that occured because one partner didn't want to stop?

Giggle.........He granted me my wish!

Hormones and newlyweds!

::luv

Hey, same way with having more babies...why stop? The "incarnation of love" and the babies are wonderful! I have had my wish granted so many times...Isn't love grand! :D
Courage does not always roar,
Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day, saying..."I will try again tomorrow."

CollegeGraduate

Postby CollegeGraduate » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:06 pm

I agree, Tigger...I was a bit hurt that "infertile" wasn't an option on the poll. Certainly we are not childless OR childfree or anything else by choice. What? We don't exist? Maybe I'm being oversensitive, and if I am I'm sorry. I'm not trying to offend anyone.

But we guess that God knows best. In the meantime, we are temping, OPKing, and ML at the appropriate times, all while praying God's will be done. We've been trying for a year, and...nothing. It's a sad and lonely place. And yes, a significant portion of the population does deal with infertility...so it's not as if Tigger and I are the only two Infertile Myrtles on TMB, I'm sure.

Anyway, just my .02. Not everybody has to worry about birth control. For some, our birth control will be "don't do insemination this month," ::lol . Not that I'm doing insemination yet, but that's probably in our future.

::pray for us!

Knitted_in_the_womb

Postby Knitted_in_the_womb » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:10 pm

I've had 5 pregnancies, 4 unplanned.

DD#1 was conceived when we were dating, on the brink of engagement (DH had the ring for a couple of months, though I didn't know that). We were doing "outer course."

DD#2 was the closest to being planned. We were at a slight difference of opinion about when to start trying--I was ready, DH wanted to wait 3 months. We were using FAM with condoms/spermicide combo. I told him that I was fertile, he said "what the heck," and skipped the condom, though we did use the spermicide. 9 months later...

DS#1 was a condom baby--I don't think we used spermicide. We skipped church one Sunday morning, and 9 months later... :roll:

DS#2 was my error with FAM. I was just watching cervical fluid, wasn't temping. Thought I had ovulated. Turned out that I had started to lead up to it, but then it was delayed by stress. Had unprotected sex when I thought I was safe...and had fertile fluid the next day.

Pregnancy #5 was a miscarriage...but that one was a condom/spermicide combo failure.

We do use FAM, and technically it has not failed for us...the back up birth control has, or my failure to observe all of the signs to track my cycle. Our youngest child--DS#2, is 3 years old, which is the longest I've gone between birthing in our marriage by quite a bit!

Jenn

Aleena

Postby Aleena » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:05 pm

Our first son, I was using the pill, and I heard after you stopped using it, that it took awhile before you could get pregnant again. Wrong.
Second son, we were discussing when we wanted our next baby, we decided to try in September, it was January. And that night somebody decided he didn't want to "pull out". Second son was born in September.

parrotheadwife

Postby parrotheadwife » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:16 pm

All three of our children were suprises!!

DD is our pill baby. I took my pill at the same time EVERY DAY. I am the 1% that gets pregnant on the pill.

DS1 is our condom baby

DS2 is our IUD baby. Yep, IUD's aren't completely effective either.

My tubes are tied now and if I get pregnant at this stage of the game, my OB is submitting my file to Ripley's Believe it or Not!!

CntryGirl

Postby CntryGirl » Wed May 30, 2007 1:00 pm

All three of ours were suprises as well.

Our first was conceived on the pill.

Our second was conceived on the pill also.

Our third - I was in the middle of switching pills, and we had just started discussing having one more, but not decided, when I found out I was pregnant again.

After that, DH had a vasectomy.

8297b

Postby 8297b » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:24 pm

My dh and I were married about 6 months when I went off the pill. It was over 5 years later before we FINALLY were able to conceive our first ds. He was our miracle baby....conceived after 5 years of trying, several tests, and on the 3rd and final cycle of Clomid (fertility medicine). If that cycle had not worked, we would have been looking into adoption. Those 5 years of infertility were the hardest, longest, and most painful years of my life. Our son was born in Jan 04.

A little over a year later, we decided to try again. We hadn't used any birthcontrol method since the birth of our son, whom I nursed til he was 10 months old. We tried for a few months on our own, though we weren't surprised with our history that we didn't conceive. We contacted my doctor and went on Clomid again. We did 3 cycles, and heartbreakingly enough, nothing happened. We began to think maybe we were being selfish. God had answered our prayers and given us a child. I couldn't imagine my son being an only child, though.

I found some herbal pills online that were supposed to enhance fertility, and made an appointment to see my doctor to discuss our options. I had taken the herbal pills for a month, but when I went to the appointment, my doctor told me they were a waste of money, that they weren't going to help me. He said he would allow me to try one more round of Clomid. That was in October. I knew when I was ovulating, and after ML that night, we held each other as we laid there in bed, and prayed that God would allow us the privilege to raise one more child for Him.

A few weeks later, I found out I was pregnant. At 7 weeks along, we had an ultrasound and found out we were having TWINS! (Maybe those herbal pills really did help- or the combo of them with the Clomid! :D Though I think it was mostly that prayer!) In July 06, our precious twin boys were born.

We had decided that we were done...our family felt complete. We didn't choose to go on birth control, because in 9 years of marriage at that point, we had never been able to conceive naturally. And I nursed our twins as well. Well, 2 days after Christmas 06, I found out I was pregnant, having conceived while nursing our 5 month old twins and technically being considered an infertile woman! This is our surprise baby! We look at all of our 4 children as miracles. Medicine and common sense said they shouldn't be here, but God had other plans!

I am due to give birth to this surprise 4th boy a few weeks after our 10th anniversary, and we will have 4 children that are 3 1/2 and under. It seems overwhelming to alot of people we know and strangers who stop and stare! But to a woman who thought she'd never be a mom, my cup runneth over!

Sorry that was such a long post!

KitKat
Queen bed

Postby KitKat » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:48 pm

8297b wrote:...Sorry that was such a long post!

It was totally worth reading! Thanks for sharing!

:wave kitkat
I did not know the ample bread 'twas so unlike the crumb... Emily Dickinson

SOS
King bed

Postby SOS » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:52 pm

8297b

that was a beautiful and inspirational story--thanks for sharing!

Return to “Birth Control”