Surprise Pregnancies...Informal Study

What's available, do's and don'ts.

Planned/Unplanned pregnancies?

We are childless by choice.
10%
All of our pregnancies have been planned.
9%
Some pregnancies were planned, some were unplanned.
17%
All of our pregnancies have been unplanned.
9%
We use no birth control.
9%
We use NFP/abstain from intercourse during fertile times.
4%
We use FAM and use a barrier during fertile times.
5%
We use condoms.
12%
We use a diaphragm/cervical cap.
2%
We use spermicide.
3%
We use an IUD.
2%
We use the pill (POP or combo).
12%
We use the shot.
0%
We use an implant.
1%
We use the patch.
0%
We use the sponge.
0%
We use a combination of methods (explain in post).
4%

Total votes: 825

mostlysmiling

Postby mostlysmiling » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:05 pm

There is no option in the poll for vasectomy/tubal ligation.

subotai

Postby subotai » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:50 pm

Our DS was conceived by choice - her choice. She had been taking the pill and decided she did not want to take it any more and stopped. Several weeks later she told me of her decision. She became pregnant that month. I was excited about having a child but very mad that she tricked me like that. So do I put that in the "planned" or "unplanned" category?

mrschris

Postby mrschris » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:39 pm

Our DD (now 4) was concieved while I was on Depo. Supposedly I couldn't get pregnant b/c of medical problems, and the Depo was just a back up. I was four months along when I found out. I started having extreme pain, which turned out to be from stretching ligaments b/c of the growing baby. My then DF, now DH, sold the stereo, sub and amp out of his car so we would have the $$ for the dr appt. When I got there, she did a $15 preg. test and WOW...what a shock. (Guess he could have kept his stuff.....)

Our DS (now 19 months) was a condom/withdraw baby. He wasn't quite a shock to me....I knew I was pregnant even though 3 preg. test came back neg. My husband thought I was crazy because I was buying diapers and stuff. All he saw were negative tests. The fourth one came out positive. My DH was floored.

Now we have 2 and I am on BCP and I am planning to have a IUD put in. We want more, we just want some time to get back on our feet (foreclosure, ect.) and we have decided that we want to wait no more than five years before we start tring.

MommaBear

Postby MommaBear » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:12 pm

When my DH and I were first married, we used FAM and got pregnant. I am actually not blaming the method. It works as far as we can tell, it is just very unforgiving. We didn't pay enough attention one month, and along came our DD! Now we use a diaphram, although I have been thinking about switching to the nuvaring because I'm quite paranoid about another surprise! (and the diaphram is messy/takes time out of time together)

MrsWill

surprise pregnancies

Postby MrsWill » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:57 pm

Both of my pregnancies shocked the tar out of my dh and I.

We had been married nearly 10 years and had been "trying" for 9. I suffered from infertility PCOS (polycystic ovarian disorder) We had not used BC unless it was necessary to regulate things for me.

We had definitely given up hope and were just going with our lives. My cycle was off so I went to the dr to get a shot to make things happen. He said do you think you are pregnant, Well, of course I didnt' think was pregnant, so I said, NO. He said if I didn't get a cycle in a certain number of days I could be pregnant. 3 weeks later, I tested and it was positive!!! :O

Then a few years later, I was experiencing the same problems again, decided to just go on the pill and be done with it all. Told the dr, you might as well do a pregnancy test just to be sure, well,, I am holding my 4 month old right now.

We wanted kids, we were desperate to raise a family, But we weren't "planning" them.

We had gone through several steps that were supposed to get us pregnant years before and nothing worked, so we consider these two our miracles.

Sarah1
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): July 16th, 2005

Re: surprise pregnancies

Postby Sarah1 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:07 pm

MrsWill wrote:Both of my pregnancies shocked the tar out of my dh and I.

We had been married nearly 10 years and had been "trying" for 9. I suffered from infertility PCOS (polycystic ovarian disorder) We had not used BC unless it was necessary to regulate things for me.

We had definitely given up hope and were just going with our lives. My cycle was off so I went to the dr to get a shot to make things happen. He said do you think you are pregnant, Well, of course I didnt' think was pregnant, so I said, NO. He said if I didn't get a cycle in a certain number of days I could be pregnant. 3 weeks later, I tested and it was positive!!! :O

Then a few years later, I was experiencing the same problems again, decided to just go on the pill and be done with it all. Told the dr, you might as well do a pregnancy test just to be sure, well,, I am holding my 4 month old right now.

We wanted kids, we were desperate to raise a family, But we weren't "planning" them.

We had gone through several steps that were supposed to get us pregnant years before and nothing worked, so we consider these two our miracles.

I love your story MrsWill. It gives me hope. :wave

marijke214

Postby marijke214 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:17 am

my daughter was a condom baby and completely unplanned.
for my second pregnancy (a miscarriage) i was on the pill.
my son (due any second now!) was "planned". though i wasn't necessarily trying at the time (my dr had told me to wait for at least 6 months after the miscarriage to try again, i got pregnant after 4 1/2), my husband wanted to try again and told me after we found out that i was pregnant that he did it on purpose...lol. i can't be mad at him though because i'm terribly excited to meet my son.

blushingwife
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 14th, 1997

Postby blushingwife » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:23 am

We had one surprise
We were doing NFP when we conceived our second child: our first child was only 6 months old!

My brother, who too has a surprise baby from NFP told me this:

Q: Do you know what they call people who do NFP?
A: Parents!

:lol:

Atretes

Postby Atretes » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:57 am

We were doing FAM (Condoms during her ovulation times) for for the first 22 months of our marriage, and we found out a couple weeks ago that, :shock: we are havin a behbeh!

It's all good though. We know that God knows what he is doing, and we are excited to be first time parents.

proud-army-wife

Postby proud-army-wife » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:14 pm

I started out on the pill. DD #1 was conceived in that time. Then we switched to just spermicide (don't recommend that!). DD #2 was conceived in that time (Duh). Then we switched to condoms and spermicide. DD #3 was conceived in that time. All 3 were surprises. After the millionth UTI from the ::xx condoms and spermicide, I told hubby he had one more chance at a boy 'cause I was getting fixed. DS #1 was conceived within 2 weeks from that statement. Yeah, we're fertile. Got my tubes tied after he was born over 6 yrs. ago and haven't looked back.

anniemouse

Postby anniemouse » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:05 pm

DS #1 was planned ..... off the pill two months and got pregnant the first month we "tried"

second pregnancy was unplanned from forgetting the pills, being sick, the holidays, a move to another state

DS#2 was unplanned, using spermicide and praying for another one

Angelik

One planned, one not

Postby Angelik » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:39 pm

My son wasn't planned. We got pregnant using a condom, and it broke. My daughter was planned. I had a tubal ligation so no more babies for us.

Ms_Girl_678

Postby Ms_Girl_678 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:36 am

Well as close as we can guess i'm about 3 weeks along now and it was a total surprise. DH and I have only been married for 2 months and were using FAM ( and were quite pleased at how smoothly it seemed to be going ). The funny thing was we were just talking a couple weeks ago and said that April/May would be a good time of year to have a baby, we were thinking in a couple of years though, God sure dose have a sense of humor.

2ofusand4kids

Postby 2ofusand4kids » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:36 pm

We have 5 kids. Essentially 2 years apart. They were all planned. #'s 1, 2 and 4 were planned by dw and I. #3 was planned by her... #5 was planned by me! My wife has always worked like a clock. The only time we had to try twice was with #3. All the others were conceived in the first month after BC was stopped. We used the pill early on and then condoms for a couple months until her body was rid of the pill. Not sure that was necessary. Now we use only condoms for PIV sex. We don't like them, but haven't come up with a good alternative.

Songbird029

Postby Songbird029 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:14 pm

Our daughter was very much planned. Our son is our surprise baby but technically it's not fair to call him a surprise. We were using FAM and I knew my fertile phase was starting and we chose to go ahead without a condom thinking that after how long it took to conceive our daughter, there was no way that we'd get pregnant. Well, we did! :lol:

Crown of Iron
On the floor
Date of your marriage (past or future): November 2nd, 1985

Postby Crown of Iron » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:02 am

I'm not sure where to put this. All of our pregnancies were planned, but our 3rd child was unplanned. She used the pill steadily except for each child and during breastfeeding, until I had a no-scalpel, no-needle vas a couple of of years ago.

Now, many of you probably asked yourself, "hey, how can you have all pregnancies planned when one child is unplanned?" Well, DW has only been pregnant twice, with twins on the second pregnancy. Our first indication was during her ultrasound, and the tech Id'd the first embryo as "B." When I saw that, I got to thinking, "well, if there is a baby B, there must be a baby A. Waaaiitt a minute, that would mean that..............

WE'RE HAVING TWINS!!!

Regulus
Twin size
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 6th, 1992

Postby Regulus » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:32 pm

Neither of our kids were planned. The oldest (son) was the result of a genuine condom failure. We're not sure about the youngest (daughter), but DW was on the pill.

Soon after #2, I got clipped. Besides the usual reasons, pregnancy is very hard on the DW. She actually had a cardiologist yell at her when he found out about #2. (Yes, we switched.)

Although neither of them were planned, both were very much wanted.

LilyLovely

Postby LilyLovely » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:19 pm

We planned the two we have, then suffered from secondary infertility and have been birth control free for many years. No use, no fertility. That part has been nice - no BC worries, side effects, etc.

MomGisela

Planned/unplanned pregnancy

Postby MomGisela » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:38 am

I´m pregnant with baby #6 ::luv
We use no birth control

Luv2LuvHim
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): March 29th, 2008

Re: Surprise Pregnancies...Informal Study

Postby Luv2LuvHim » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:04 pm

So far no babies (it's been planned that way for now), and we use FAM with "pull out" during fertile phase....also, we're freaks about it so we start pulling out just before fertile phase starts and give us a fair# of days after ovulation to ensure we're no longer fertile...in other words, there's maybe a total of 12 days we pull out, 13 days we dont, and 3 days per month that we dont have PIV because of my period.
I suppose if we werent freaks about it and tried to cut it as close as possible (i.e. not pulling out so much) then we may be looking at possibility of unplanned pregnancy...but that's not the case.
I guess the better question is, when will we start? Not sure....
I have found the one whom my soul loves
-Song of Solomon 3:4

Return to “Birth Control”